New Format Size

HELP!

I have not changed any of my settings, but the new front page is wider than

my screen format, and to read it, I have to scroll across the page.

Why????

It used to fit perfectly.

I also notice this on some, not all the forum links, but not all the time.

What is going on?

:banghead:

Wow... I wonder if it has to do with your browser... my settings

are fine except when someone posts a photo that's too wide

which is why I format narrow paragraphs so that even then it's

not a problem.

I have the same problem... I wonder if it's just because of the new VE pics on the front page that are posted side-to-side?

68, your sig is a little bit wide as well.

167460[/snapback]

This came about long before the VE pics....... It started when we went to the new

front page format!

BTW, both of your answers were wider than my screen format..... and again I

say, I HAVE NOT CHANGED ANYTHING!

do you use IE or something else?

i'm running 1280X1024 and firefox, having my browser take up ~7/8ths of the screen , only pics larger than say...900px wide make me scroll one way or the other....

i think that's why the chop comps try to limit size of entries so it's not hard to compare one to another w/o having to scroll sideways.

unless something in the sites script is messing w/ your browser?

do you use IE or something else?

i'm running 1280X1024 and firefox,  having my browser take up ~7/8ths of the screen , only pics larger than say...900px wide make me scroll one way or the other....

i think that's why the chop comps try to limit size of entries so it's not hard to compare one to another w/o having to scroll sideways.

unless something in the sites script is messing w/ your browser?

167520[/snapback]

Yes, I use IE...... and I am not having this problem on any other website!

And I have all the current Windows upgrades working & active.

if it's not a hassle, try firefox @ mozilla.org .here

IE uses some web standards funny... microsoft doesn't comply totally with them.

if it still doesn't fit well,  ....hmm

168023[/snapback]

Thanks but no thanks!

I've heard about all sorts of problems with firefox.

I've been using this foremat since 2003, and it works everywhere else......

and did here too, until CHANGES were made here!

Guess who makes which one that is out of step?

:pokeowned:

Thanks but no thanks!

I've heard about all sorts of problems with firefox.

I've been using this foremat since 2003, and it works everywhere else......

and did here too, until CHANGES were made here!

Guess who makes which one that is out of step?

:pokeowned:

168067[/snapback]

problems w/ firefox? like what, and by who? (other than the "memory leaks") i love it, other than the crashes it has on occasion, it's better than IE for me, but it also hasn't been around as long...?

try opera then...? opera.com it's in it's 9th revision, free (as of like last year?), and for the basics supposed to be better than firefox. (and coming out for the nintendo DS)

anyway, we could prolly have a long chat about what browser is better... i'm just asking you to try one out and see if the problem your having on this site is fixed or not.

oh, i realized i could totally test what you are complaining about, the side by side pictures, right?

don't know why i didn't test this earlier, IE puts the pictures side by side, i.e. the holden pics on the front page. firefox does not hold them side by side, it moves the one picture under the other if it doesn't have enough room in the current window to show everything w/o a scroll bar.

there you go, take it as you will, firefox will/can move things to fit your screen and prevent a scroll bar side to side, while IE does not do that.

oh, i realized i could totally test what you are complaining about, the side by side pictures, right?

don't know why i didn't test this earlier,  IE puts the pictures side by side, i.e. the holden pics on the front page.  firefox does not hold them side by side, it moves the one picture under the other if it doesn't have enough room in the current window to show everything w/o a scroll bar.   

there you go,  take it as you will, firefox will/can move things to fit your screen and prevent a scroll bar side to side, while IE does not do that.

168143[/snapback]

READ MY LIPS!!!!

Firefox, firebox, fire up your A--!

The problem has nothing to do with pictures! The text bars are wider than the screen settings, and I did not change them!

The only thing that fits the screen properly is the forum page index!

This CHANGE came about with the new format, not any picture,smicture thing!

THE TEXT GOES OFF SCREEN......... and it did not before!

:stupid:

well sooorry.

hard to help you, if don't tell us what your settings are...

168805[/snapback]

I don't know what you mean......settings?

I have not changed anything and I am not that computer literate to even know how

to change the "settings".

As I said when I asked this question, all my other websites do not have this problem, there is no problem on the forums index page, it is on the front page

and then the individual pages in a specific forum topic.

The right side of the screen cuts off the screen format 20-30% in the normal mode.

I see that two indexing arrows have been added at the top of some pages.

If the screen picture was not too wide in the first place, these would not be

necessary.

Somebody called that shot! Why????? :nono:

BTW: In the top bar of the topic screen, I noticed the 3 values: outline, standard, and linear +. Mine are set on standard.

Edited by rkmdogs

I don't know what you mean......settings?

I have not changed anything and I am not that computer literate to even know how

to change the "settings".

As I said when I asked this question, all my other websites do not have this problem, there is no problem on the forums index page, it is on the front page

and then the individual pages in a specific forum topic.

The right side of the screen cuts off the screen format 20-30% in the normal mode.

I see that two indexing arrows have been added at the top of some pages.

If the screen picture was not too wide in the first place, these would not be

necessary.

Somebody called that shot! Why????? :nono:

BTW: In the top bar of the topic screen, I noticed the 3 values: outline, standard, and linear +. Mine are set on standard.

169105[/snapback]

i'm guessing your screen resolution is 800x600... find that by right clicking on your desktop, and clicking properties, go to the settings tab... assuming you are using windows...

i'm pretty sure the standard of the internet is moving towards 1024x768 now, and even 12xx X 10xx is decently popular...maybe 2 years ago it was still 800 x 600...

of course a higher resolution means you can fit more on the same physical size of screen (if it's able)

this may help your problem... if it does nothing at all... say so

I've seen the same problem at times. In fact, the home page is currently too wide for my screen on any of the computers I use. Right now, it seems it has to do with the Holden pics on the screen.

In the forums when I see the scroll bar, I always find someone who has a long signature picture.

I have no plans on changing my settings for my computer, most of the other websites I work with have no problems and maintaining my current values allows me to set up my clubs website and my own personal one to fit most monitors and easily review to see if everything works correctly.

i'm guessing your screen resolution is 800x600...   find that by right clicking on your desktop, and clicking properties, go to the settings tab...  assuming you are using windows...

i'm pretty sure the standard of the internet is moving towards 1024x768 now,   and even 12xx X 10xx is decently popular...maybe  2 years ago it was still 800 x 600...

of course a higher resolution means you can fit more on the same physical size of screen (if it's able)

this may help your problem... if it does nothing at all... say so

169131[/snapback]

I followed your instruction. My settings are 1024x768. Today while reading the Chris Prone article, the pic kept flicking from screen size, showing the full line width of the text, to going oversize, with the text running off the screen!

This screen right now is showing me both side lines, but when I post it, I'm almost sure that it will go oversize, with the right-hand edge going off-screen!

Yep! just did it. In this screen,the composing one, both the left and the right hand side lines are shown. Once I post it to the forum page, the right hand edge gets cut off at the letter "Y" in reply of the tool bar directions.

It is this inconsistancy that is screwy. Why is this composing screen o.k., but the actual forum page going over size? They are not the same size!

Edited by rkmdogs

I've seen the same problem at times. In fact, the home page is currently too wide for my screen on any of the computers I use. Right now, it seems it has to do with the Holden pics on the screen.

In the forums when I see the scroll bar, I always find someone who has a long signature picture.

I have no plans on changing my settings for my computer, most of the other websites I work with have no problems and maintaining my current values allows me to set up my clubs website and my own personal one to fit most monitors and easily review to see if everything works correctly.

169468[/snapback]

O.K., this is three people now that have reported the same problem, so it cannot be just my "settings"!

Zhawk thinks that it has to do with the Holden pics, but it is not! Text lines from the middle format run off screen on the forum pages. That has nothing to do with pictures!

Just so I can gather some info, whoever is having the problem, could you please post your screen resolution settings? I'm at 1280x1024 right now and everything looks fine. If you're at a lower resolution, I could see the side-by-side Holden VE pics causing a problem.

Let me know :)

Guest YellowJacket894

Just wondering, how old is your computer, RKM?

(By the way, I've got a bad case of green envy over your 9C1. I love a damn B-Body, it doesn't matter what model, although the 9C1s and Impalas are, of course, the pick of the litter. And, again if you don't find my asking bothersome, how much did you pay for your particular example?)

Just so I can gather some info, whoever is having the problem, could you please post your screen resolution settings? I'm at 1280x1024 right now and everything looks fine. If you're at a lower resolution, I could see the side-by-side Holden VE pics causing a problem.

Let me know :)

170060[/snapback]

just as another thing to ask.... are you running IE or something else?

I was just stating when I noticed the scrolling on the home page. I am not sure your problem is exactly what I ahve noticed both at work and at home.

I can't post the screen resolution settings at work since we don't have access to that (just in case someone tries to change things and messes it up) but I can check out things on my laptops and my desktop at home tomorrow. All of the computers I use to use IE.

I've noticed scrolling in the forums when someone has a very long image (or group of images) in their signature. I am not sure if this has anything to do with your problem rkmdogs. While writing this the screen fits with no side scrolling but if there is a signature with the images as I described, I'll have scrolling in the thread itself. Again, I cannot be sure this is what you are experiencing but it is what I have noticed.

OK checked another computer at worked and it works fine. The screen setting is 1152 X 864 (this one let me see the settings).

Edited by zhawk

I was just stating when I noticed the scrolling on the home page. I am not sure your problem is exactly what I ahve noticed both at work and at home.

I can't post the screen resolution settings at work since we don't have access to that (just in case someone tries to change things and messes it up) but I can check out things on my laptops and my desktop at home tomorrow. All of the computers I use to use IE.

I've noticed scrolling in the forums when someone has a very long image  (or group of images) in their signature. I am not sure if this has anything to do with your problem rkmdogs. While writing this the screen fits with no side scrolling but if there is a signature with the images as I described, I'll have scrolling in the thread itself. Again, I cannot be sure this is what you are experiencing but it is what I have noticed.

OK checked another computer at worked and it works fine. The screen setting is 1152 X 864 (this one let me see the settings).

170517[/snapback]

Your message was fine and the whole section was shown, edge to edge of the column lines. This is not always the case, however. So, I don't believe that my settings or the message content have anything to do with the format presentation.

That is up to whoever sets up the page parameters!

:yes:

Still haven't fixed all the forum formats. Some, like @ Buick still run

off screen in text lines, not just the pics!

Still haven't fixed all the forum formats. Some, like @ Buick still run

off screen in text lines, not just the pics!

172763[/snapback]

Well, it is a week later, and the screen size and page format still don't fit!

Some pages are fine, so where does the problem occur that causes this inconsistancy?

The home page for instance, does not completely fit the screen----- you have to scroll it to see all the data, edge to edge.

But on the forums index page, it fits completely without having to do any scrolling!

Is the answer from the administrators when they can't fix a problem---- ignore it,

and maybe the pest will go away?

As I said before, this problem did not occur until the format change---- so something happened then.

I do not have this problem on any other website with my current settings, so

please don't give me the B/S that I need to adjust my settings!

The problem is at that end, not mine!!!

• 5 weeks later...

O.K., I have not changed anything on my computer,

and now the center section of the forum pages no longer fits my screen.......

as it was doing for the past several weeks!

Is somebody messing around with the screen scale again?

This page fits O.K.......... and I don't want to here crap about

sentences too long, or pictures are too wide,

I'm talking about the format box that the text message is in!

What is going on? :nono::nono::nono:

Edited by rkmdogs

I guess that none of the administrators read this stuff!

Go look at the new post on GM Wagons.

You have to scroll half-way across the page to read the whole blurb!

That is not the case on other web pages, or even other topics on this forum!

Why can't it be fixed?

:pbjtime: