Solstice GXP vs. Boxster

October Car & Driver pitted the Solstice and the Boxer against one another and the picture of the two side by side is worth a thousand words. That Pontiac is HOT. It makes the porsche look small, skinny, and old.

The writers tried really hard to sell readers on the Boxster, making many excuses for the huge price difference and quietly admitted the shortcomings of the boxster while screaming about any imperfections about the Solstice......it's kind of funny....

I can't get over the picture....I would have posted it, but I can't find it on their website. The Pontiac BLOWS the porsche away in the looks catagory and the GXP is smokin' hot for $25k....

They do look hot even in white, and I'm not really a fan of white. There are alot cruising around the roads in Michigan, of course with m-plates on them. I hate to nitpick but they do need a little more styling cues to set them apart from the standard car. If you were not a car expert you would be thinking its the same car. Even I almost had to do a double take when I saw one.

The Pontiac out performed the Boxer at the track.

But C+D pointed out that even the lower pricve of the Pontiac that the Used $50K Boxer could be had for just a little more than the Solstice at $35K???

I don't know how they are doing their math as I don't think many would find a Year old Boxer with 4,000 miles for $35K.

They mostly said tha the Boxer has a better trunk and steering and was a daily driver vs Pontiacs toy car status.

Not in anyway am I going to claim the Boxer a poor car but I can't believe you can find one that new for a GXP price.

The GXP is not perfecty but it is the sports car bargin of the industry with more power coming in the future. They can nit pick all they want but the bottom line is it is a fast and great performing an is not going to cost you $20K to 30K more over the 28K price.

If you need a trunk Buy a GXP and you would still have money left for a G5 as you trunk. If you need cup holders get off the road as a Sports car should be drive not used as a Starbucks.

I think it is funny how no one ever complained about the MR2 trunk over the years.

I think the Solstice should be judged for what it is a Sports car and the press should forget treating it as a mini van. As a Sports car it does it's job and does it welll at a great price GM should get the credit for a job well done.

Edited by hyperv6

The Pontiac out performed the Boxer at the track.

But C+D pointed out that even the lower pricve of the Pontiac that the Used $50K Boxer could be had vfor just a little more than eht Solstice at $35K???

I don't know how they are doing their math as I don't think many would find a  Year old Boxer with 4,000 miles for $35K.

They mostly said tha the Boxer has a better trunk and steering and was a daily driver vs Pontiacs toy car status.

Not in anyway am I going to claim the Boxer a poor car but I can't believe you can find one that new for a GXP price.

The GXP is not perfecty but it is the sports car bargin of the industry with more power coming in the future. They can nit pick all they want but the bottom line is it is a fast and great performing an is not going to cost you $20K to 30K more over the 28K price.

If you need a trunk Buy a GXP and you would still have money left for a G5 as you trunk. If you need cup holders get off the road as a Sports car should be drive not used as a Starbucks.

I think it is funny how no one ever complained about the MR2 trunk over the years.

I think the Solstice should be judged for what it is a Sports car and the press should forget treating it as a mini van. As a Sports car it does it's job and does it welll at a great price GM should get the credit for a job well done.

187796[/snapback]

Well said, they have to find something to pick on and their praise always seems like it is half hearted. The mere fact that you can mention Pontiac and Porsche in the same sentence tells you that GM is on the right track with their recovery plan. The rags should stop nitpicking things that it would not nit pick if it were made by Porsche, BMW or Lexus.

Their a bunch of turds, any way they can find to spin something positive into something negitive. For GM its always a yes, but bla bla bla. The car handles and brakes as good as the rest but, bla bla bla.

This is a great car new but why buy it when you could buy a used, bla bla, bla................what a pile of turds.

Solstice sales are going to take a huge hit now anyhow, since we now have the C 2.5 on market.

It's a $25k 2 seat convertible that goes 0-60 in 5.6 seconds and looks better and outperforms a car that costs twice as much, but the trunk is too small!!! Unbelieveable!!

In one part of the article, they say that ALL roadsters are toys, but then when they compare the Solstice to the boxster......the story changes. The boxster becomes "a reasonable daily driver" and the Solstice becomes "purely a toy".

The porsche didn't "win" anything. NOTHING. But they stated that "the precise-driving porsche was clearly their favorite".

The morons out there who don't believe that there is bias against anything AMERICAN in the automotive press, you're dead wrong.....Pontiac has knocked one out of the park. They've raised the bar in so many areas with this car, it should be embarassing for the other makes. GM can't even get credit for the fantastic engine in the Solstice. In C&D's review of the engine, they point out how beefed up the parts of this engine are and how powerful it is at 260 hp. Then out of nowhere they comment that "this isn't a bad first effort for GM, considering VW's similar direct-injection turbo makes 200 hp". Whatever.....

Wouldnt it be nice to create a magazine that pokes directly at the writters and editors of these magazines.

Pontiacs, Chevys and Cadillacs are kickin butt on race tracks across the country yet these idiots stick right in there claiming this awsome superiority of BMW, Mazda, Honda, Toyota, Mercedes, bla bla bla

GREAT JOB GM, Thank you very much, may I have another !