'07 BMW 335i Sedan

Bimmer325

Posted Image

What’s Better Than Outstanding? We hit 60 mph in 4.8 seconds with the latest 3-series.

BY TONY SWAN, PHOTOGRAPHY BY AARON KILEY

September 2006

Experience has taught us that no vehicle is immune to improvement. No matter how seductive the styling, no matter how compelling the dynamics, we know that somewhere squads of designers and engineers are toiling to make a good thing even better.

Consider the BMW 335i sedan.

When the fifth generation 3-series sedan made its debut in early 2005, it was hard to see just where a significant improvement might be made in this outstanding car. Then the 335i coupe came along, and suddenly the plan became clear. Right: they’ll make that 3.0-liter turbo engine available in the sedan.

And here it is.

[READ MORE...]

• 2 weeks later...

Just purchased, wait, leased one. :) Very nice and after looking at the Lexus IS350 w/a reported 0-60 time in the 5.3 range I have to more than agree with a possible 4.8 time slip for the 335i. I knew the BMW would handle better than the Lexus but man, there is simply NO comparison between the IS350 and the 335i. I considered the CTS V but could not find a local dealer that would had or would be getting one. :(

Wow, that's impressive. It probably handles like it's on rails, too.

13.5 in the quarter seems a bit slow for 0-60 in 4.8, but that's not really what this car is about anyways.

201477[/snapback]

Not necessarily...It can probably launch pretty well for one thing. A stock WRX with a good driver can pull upper 13 second times easily, but they most likely have mid 90mph trap speeds. What is important to note is the trap speed. I don't know if they show that or not. You or me for example could pull similar times but we'd have trap speeds in the low 100's.

Wow, that's impressive. It probably handles like it's on rails, too.

13.5 in the quarter seems a bit slow for 0-60 in 4.8, but that's not really what this car is about anyways.

201477[/snapback]

I thought the 13.5 seemed a little off personally but maybe only by 1 or 2 tenths. I had ordered and then decided against a Subaru WRX Sti "Limited" (same as the Sti but w/leather and without the big rear spoiler) and the Subbie handles a little better than the 335 and has a faster seat of the pants feel from 0 to 60-70 but around this point the 335i seems to pick up somewhat and hit the sweetest spot in the 75-95mph range. Don't know if it is truly the sweet spot but sure feels like it. After just reaching the 1,000. mile mark on the the odometer I raced one of the regular STi's (C&D says something like 0-60 in 4.5 sec and 13.3 in the quarter I think?) W/all wheel drive I got smoked from the start and then noticed around 40 or so we running pretty even (though she did have a couple of car lengths at this point) and we stayed pretty close to around 65 when I started gaining ground before shutting down at around 110 we had gotten even and if we had continued I would played ahead. My guess? Maybe 13.3/13.4 in the quarter at about 104 maybe 105?

I thought BMW was going back to honest engine sizes (i.e. 318i for the 1.8L instead of rounding it to make the 320i, as with the last generation).

If so, why is the 3.0L turbo a 335i? Can somebody explain?

201620[/snapback]

yeah, it should be the 330TL, that'd go over well with Acura ;-)

Long live the inline-6 powered performance sedan!!!

SAy what you will about BWM but at least they still

give us a silky smooth Straight Six versus everyone's

V6s. Just like all the otehr compromises of the past

few decades V6 bug me. Inline Sixes are where it's

at... which is why I love my 2.4L Maxima so much.