New Look for Opel

Guest Josh

By Bryan Nesbitt
Executive Director
GM Europe Design

American motorists may be interested in a zippy Opel concept we unveiled this week at the Frankfurt Motor Show. The Opel Antara GTC is Opel’s interpretation of the crossover segment. It's tough, athletic, and emotional.

This car is a perfect example of how Opel (badged Vauxhall in the U.K.) is exploring its design language as it applies to different segments. First, from a distance, notice the coupe upper and the SUV lower. This proportion is intended to visually communicate driving adventure.

Second, Antara GTC -- which stands for Gran Turismo Crossover -- is immediately recognizable as an Opel due to cues like the strong centerline peak combined with a proud grille emphasizing the signature Opel Bar and Blitz. Unique lamp graphics still retain the Opel flavor. Even details like the front fender vent and side exhaust signal power and performance.

Read More: http://fastlane.gmblogs.com/archives/2005/...k_for_op_1.html

And I garuntee if brought over to the US under Saturn or something people will be saying, "WOW, I didn't know Nissan made the Murano in a coupe!" Seriously, GM was ahead of the game w/ the 04 and Profile but they flinched...now all they'll ever be is a copycat. Edited by quantum110

Or they could not build it at all and then fall further behind in the mid-size crossover SUV segment. Would you rather have that instead? They need to start from somewhere. Besides, everyone is copying each other these days. Do you think GM is behind the game with the Cadillac brand or the Hummer brand? What about the solstice? Is that a copy cat car too?

Caddy has successfully reinvented itself, if anything other premium auto brands are starting to copy them, the SRX still manages to have a look of its own. Hummer is a joke...H1 ~300 vehicals per year, not to mention the military may be dropping it like a bad habit. H2 may serve its purpose as a hwy queen, but its a joke in the offroad community, and isn't that what Hummers image is suppose to be. The H3 is a step in the right direction, a clear cut competitor against the Grand Cherokee...but it needs to shake off the stigma that the H2 carries, gain a bit more power under the hood, and drop the base price by at least 2k to truely compete. Although I love what the Solstice/Sky represents for the US, the only reason it is hear is because of the previous Opel/Vauxhall/Lotus cars and Lutz's desire to capitalize on a growing sport compact market. Lotus' decision to part ways w/ GM on the development of the new platform should tell you that the Solstice/Sky are severly dumbed down. The design has become classic portly american, and although I love the way the Sky looks and the fact that it may be offered w/ a turbo soon it still need to be offered in an optionless package that weighs under 2300lbs like the previous european designs. Edited by quantum110

Hummer isn't a joke. It's a niche brand and it serves it's purpose well. 300 H1s sold a year? Is that the exact number? The only stigma that the H2 carries is that it's not fuel efficient. If you find something wrong with that, maybe you shouldn't have that giant oldsmobile as your signature. Because the Solstice and the Sky are roadsters, that means that GM is copying every other roadster that ever existed under the Opel nameplate? Opel if you didn't realise is a GM vehicle. I don't know how it's possible to copy one's self. That doesn't make any sense. Also, you say that GM is doing it just to capitalise on a growing sport compact market. Last time I checked, there was one vehicle currently in production that just happened to be compact and a roadster and that's the miata. The Honda S2000 doesn't count because it's not in the same price bracket. Besides, what's wrong with GM capitalizing on a growing market? It would be a waste of money if GM spent money on an entirely new platform and then sold it in a market where barely anyone buys a vehicle of it's size, price, and performance. In fact, GM has predicted they'll still lose money on the solstice and sky since they're just niche vehicles. Also, just because the solstice and sky aren't based off an Lotus platform, doesn't mean they're dumbed down. It means they're cheaper. Haven't you read any of the specs or tests performed by all the auto magazines of the Solstice? Many people have stated that the Kappa platform in which the Solstice and Sky ride on, is very similar to the Corvette platform. It's just cheaper to make since they use a lot of parts from other GM vehicles. If you think that's not enough, then maybe cheersandgears isn't the site for you.

August Year to date 263 H1's have delivered...That squiggly line means an estimation, it could be up to 400 which is probably closer to true, but regardless I don't really care. SUV sales have been going down the past year, yet GM keeps throwing money at this "Niche"... Maybe you should do some looking around, because in the 4wd world the fact that the H2 is less capable than it should be is a huge problem w/ enthusiests...this is why I said the H3 is a step in the right direction, because unlike the H2, suspension, drivetrain and approach angles are much better suited for off road use...but people need to realize this is not a baby H2. I never said GM was copying anyone w/ the roadsters...your puting words in my mouth. The only reason I said people would think that the Antara would look like a Murano is becaus you have to admit the front end looks a bit similar. In all honesty don't you think if GM were to bring it over they would want to make it something special compaired to the competition. Also, IMO if your going to sell a sport roadster you should at least have a model for the enthusiests. I think the two cars will sell well as they are to women, yuppie men who spend their time trying to court women at Starbucks, and maybe a few bling bling wigger tuners who don't like imports...However, there will be very few people willing to buy one just to strip it down for what I or people like me would use it for...Hard Core Track Use. I never said there was anything wrong with GM moving in on this market...again your puting words in my mouth. LOL, Cheers and Gears isn't for me? I've been around for a long time, in fact I can't even remember when I originally joined, and I guarantee I'll be around for a lot longer. BTW...I don't have a problem w/ gas guzzlers, but if you should know my boat get 18mpg mixed driving...reall not bad for being 38 years old and only having 2 Gears. Edited by quantum110

Well, I'm sorry for the misunderstanding of what you were saying. I guess just wanted to make sure you weren't one of those bashers who come onto our boards and cause all kinds of havoc. My apologies. I will agree with you about the H2. Although I got to drive one a couple years ago and thought it was a cool vehicle then, it's clearly a glorified tahoe. But you have to remember, this came out at a time when gas was still $1. I recently got to test drive the H3. Much more practical and much more attractive. It's rugged but not bulky like the H2. I find nothing wrong with the I5 engine either. It provides adiquate power. Besides, the H3 is intended more for rock climbing. Fortunately, the next H2 should take care of the mileage problem and the lack of off-road ability. The reason why GM is still throwing money at the SUV market is because everyone else is. Nissan just threw it's hat into the ring. So did Honda. Toyota has an even bigger Tundra and Sequoia coming to the market. Seeing how the current Trucks weren't very fuel efficient, I don't see how much better they'll be if they're bigger. Car companies are still making SUVs because there is still profit. Even though sales are declining, they still bring in the most money for companies like Ford and GM. If they were to stop devoting money into them, then they'd lose even more marketshare. The solstice and the sky will have enthusiasts models. Both with turbo-charged engines. They're already in pre-production stages.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

It's bad enough peope used to say "Jap" on this board....

[post="45382"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I'm guilty, thought I never thought of Jap as a derogatory term. It's the abreviated form of Japanese. What's wrong with that?

How is it any differetn from Mass (Massachusetts) FWD, RWD, IRS-LSD, Calif. or whatever?

Honestly if I was typing a mile a minute and talking about some Japanese car I'd abreviate it to Jap. same as we say C.V./G.M. on this board in a Ford Mercury thread... everyone knows what we mean.

As far as this Opel, while I hate most crossovers I like the stying on this car.

Cross the Antara with the Torana. And You get a real nice Vectra  Chop from Autoexpress.
Posted Image
In the A.E.  article they refer to a 2.7 ltr v6 diesel being developed to replace the 3.0.

[post="49576"][/post]

Dude you could paint that car baby poop brown and put a big turd on the grill and I would drive it.

I'm guilty, thought I never thought of Jap as a derogatory term. It's the abreviated form of Japanese. What's wrong with that?

How is it any differetn from Mass (Massachusetts) FWD, RWD, IRS-LSD, Calif. or whatever?

Honestly if I was typing a mile a minute and talking about some Japanese car I'd abreviate it to Jap. same as we say C.V./G.M. on this board in a Ford Mercury thread... everyone knows what we mean.
As far as this Opel, while I hate most crossovers I like the stying on this car.

[post="49607"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Yeah, but if you think about it, the N-word is just negro, the Spanish word for black, said in a think country accent. Both are just unrefined versions of more acceptable words that have taken on a negative connotation over the years. Edited by Enzora

I was mostly reinforcing LosAngeles' post in saying that the N-word is just a variation of the spanish word Negro. The way you stated it made it sound as though you thought it wasn't that bad. Of course that's not what you meant by it, but some people, may not have really understand the context of your last post. The word Jap is different. It's not seen universally to those in the US as a racist word which is unfortunate. I think the word became commonplace around WWII as an insult when talking about the Japanese and stuck with the youger generations. Some see it as bad while others don't see a problem with it. It's mostly because there is a very small Japanese minority in comparison to African Americans in this country, and unfortunately less of a voice against that word. Edited by Cadillacfan85

Cross the Antara with the Torana. And You get a real nice Vectra  Chop from Autoexpress.
Posted Image
In the A.E.  article they refer to a 2.7 ltr v6 diesel being developed to replace the 3.0.

[post="49576"][/post]

I didn't realise they had photoshopped the Torana to get the mag cover. Well spotted.