Video: LS460 Parking Itself

Bimmer325

Posted ImageVideo: Lexus LS460 Parking Itself

Posted Image

It's difficult not to meet Lexus' claim of a self-parking LS with skepticism. Can a full-size luxury car really tuck itself neatly into a tight parking space? And can it do so without killing an hour of time and 3 innocent bystanders? The following video taken at a recent Taste of Lexus event seeks to prove exactly that.

That's pretty impressive.

But, it's pure overkill. Sure, it's a great acheivement and a cool feature, but who is so bad at parking that they need the car to park itself?

Also, what happens if the features breaks? Would the car just do nothing or would you have a little fender bender?

Parallel parking isn't really that much of a challenge in the States where spaces are somewhat designed for larger cars. This is ideal in Tokyo and other superdense urban areas, but here? Meh. I'd be saying this also if this were a GM feature.

For the record, in Driver's Ed, I paralleled better in a LeSabre with its narrow rear backlight, tiny mirrors, low seating position, and huge girth than in a Rendezvous with huge mirrors, large windows, high seating, and Ultrasonic Park Assist.

This feature would be nice in the dense urban areas like San Francisco where there often isn't any off-street parking. I think the biggest benefit of this is not getting your vehicle bumped into if you're parked in the street.

I'm doing the Taste of Lexus thing in L.A. in a couple of weeks. They give a real nice gift bag when you leave the event. Last year it was some leather-bound travel books and Paul McCartney CD's.

I'm doing the Taste of Lexus thing in L.A. in a couple of weeks.  They give a real nice gift bag when you leave the event.  Last year it was some leather-bound travel books and Paul McCartney CD's.

207569[/snapback]

I'm attending the New York event this coming Sunday at the Belmont Racetrack.

At the CL forum, a lot of guys are ordering the auto parking feature for their wives. Makes sense because this is a very large sedan and some people may have trouble backing up. Get it for you wife and keep her happy and keep your vehicle free of dents and scratches. ;)

207663[/snapback]

I'll cut Lexus some slack if they make a commercial showing a ditzy blonde in a Mercedes plowing into two cars while the 'smarter' woman just let's the LS park it for her. :P

Well, that isn't a tiny car to begin with and would you really ever want to park your $80,000+ luxury car in a parking spot that barely fits?

207680[/snapback]

The spot having that much space left over, and the fact that it's not a small car just means that the likelihood of finding a space like that is not that great. If the car needs that much space to park itself, then the usefulness of this feature is going to apply to, what, 1/4 or fewer of the spaces out there?

Sometimes you don't have a choice where you park.

I saw a similar video on Good Morning America today....sure it's cool but c'mon!

I learned to parallel park in an 88 Taurus wagon. Now it's super easy for me to park my TSX. It's all about learning!

yeah space was totally too big, I know I can park my malibu SS in a space less about 18 inches longer than my car without tapping anyone. To do this though you need to start further out and angled way before you cut and you need to do it quick because you will intiially be sticking out into a traffic lane. Get most of the way in 2 or 3 shimmeys and your all set. THATS skill and knowhow i seriously doubt this gadget can match. furthermore how will this contraption work on a hill?