Chrysler Sebring

MyerShift

I disagree on the engine choices.

It's the transmission choices that let this car down. Only an approximately 17 year old four speed automatic with two engines, and the 6-speed autobox is only available with one engine in one model, the Limited. It needs the 6-speed across the board with the option of a manual transmission on all. The Sebring could also use the 2.0L VW Turbo Diesel that's available in Europe or some other better, modern diesel engine.

Smaller than it should have been? Just because others are bloating out in all dimensions doesn't mean everyone should. The Sebring seems plenty for a family of even four. Even lacking the innovative cab-forward design, the new Sebring seems spacious.

The rear foot room under the front seats is amazing. Too bad the centre tunnel seems so broad. Since the Sebring shares its basic architecture with the Caliber-right?- (a Chrysler/Mitsubishi effort that will underpin the next Lancer and the new Outlander) perhaps this is an indication of AWD being available sometime in the future.

The interior design and fits are good, as are the sheens. But, only certain areas are padded. And, there needs to be more soft-touch surfaces than there are, but the interior is still miles ahead of the old Sebring.

Edited by MyerShift

I disagree on the engine choices.

It's the transmission choices that let this car down. Only an approximately 17 year old four speed automatic with two engines, and the 6-speed autobox is only available with one engine in one model, the Limited. It needs the 6-speed across the board with the option of a manual transmission on all. The Sebring could also use the 2.0L VW Turbo Diesel that's available in Europe or some other better, modern diesel engine.

Smaller than it should have been? Just because others are bloating out in all dimensions doesn't mean everyone should. The Sebring seems plenty for a family of even four. Even lacking the innovative cab-forward design, the new Sebring seems spacious.

The rear foot room under the front seats is amazing. Too bad the centre tunnel seems so broad. Since the Sebring shares its basic architecture with the Caliber-right?- (a Chrysler/Mitsubishi effort that will underpin the next Lancer and the new Outlander) perhaps this is an indication of AWD being available sometime in the future.

The interior design and fits are good, as are the sheens. But, only certain areas are padded. And, there needs to be more soft-touch surfaces than there are, but the interior is still miles ahead of the old Sebring.

212703[/snapback]

to me the Sebring is just below a true midsize....its more the size of an Epsilon, i.e. too small. Its competing in the real marketplace against cars like the new Altima, which adds space for 07. In fact, perception wise, even the smallish Passat seems larger inside. And it really should have one engine that begins to touch the 250hp barrier. I just think in the end, other domestic options, cars like the Aura, Impala, and Fusion present themselves way better. Its almost as if DCX deliberately kept the Sebring small so as not to steal sales from the RWD cars. And that's a shame since the Intrepid was one of the best space capsules ever.

Edited by regfootball

to me the Sebring is just below a true midsize....its more the size of an Epsilon, i.e. too small.  Its competing in the real marketplace against cars like the new Altima, which adds space for 07.  In fact, perception wise, even the smallish Passat seems larger inside.  And it really should have one engine that begins to touch the 250hp barrier.  I just think in the end, other domestic options, cars like the Aura, Impala, and Fusion present themselves way better.  Its almost as if DCX deliberately kept the Sebring small so as not to steal sales from the RWD cars.  And that's a shame since the Intrepid was one of the best space capsules ever.

212739[/snapback]

According to Motor Trend, the new Altima is actually a bit smaller on the outside than the current-gen. I'm guessing it's larger on the inside, though.

• 1 month later...

I was watching Top Gear yesterday and they made fun of it.

The car wouldn't look so bad if the roof tapered more gracefully into the deck lid and the deck lid was a bit longer. It's too abrupt and too stubby.

I've seen a decent amount of them, mostly silver or blue. Someone not far from my house owns a silver one.

Styling is of course, subjective...my girlfriend happens to love the car.

Chrysler can keep the 4-speed in the base model since it's well...base, but the 6-speed should be available as an option at least on the 2 lower engines.

Edited by Dodgefan