Buick LaCrosse

dratnol

Alright, the old Lumina is getting long in the tooth (210,000) and it is time to start looking for a new ride. I have been looking at the LaCrosse as a potential replacement. I really like the 3.8 for the balance of gas economy and power. I will use this car for my daily driver and I average 200 miles a day for work. Does anyone here own one or have any experiences with the LaCrosse? I was looking at the CXL trim level and will most likely buy one that is off lease <30,000 miles.

From the sound of a 200-miles daily commute, I bet the majority of that is highway driving. For that, I'd immediately recommend a LaCrosse over a G6 or Aura. The Epsilons are great cars, but the LaCrosse is likely to be much more comfortable over the distance. I'll put it this way - a 210-mile trip from here to Orlando and back in my Aurora is a pleasure; in a Corolla, its torture. A fellow I work makes that same 210-miles round trip daily in a Ford Focus and it just kills him.

We had a '98 Regal GS also for a time and that car was exceedingly quiet, smooth, and very comfortable to stretch out and cruise in. Very stable ride. From all I've heard combined with the limited time I've spend with a LaCrosse (CXL), the LaCrosse is just as good of a car, if not better in overall quietness and smoothness.

I'll reiterate the feeling of many that the 3800 is pretty much bulletproof. We have over 110k on my father's 2000 Bonneville and he currently drives an average of 40-90 miles a day for work with heavy a/c use and lots of idling. The car has always yielded respectable mileage (19-26) and has given us extrodinary dependability. Even naturally-aspirated, the 3800 gives you great power and - of course - excellent fuel-efficient highway cruising.

Ooh, baby, don't get me started! LaCrosse....YES! I rented one 2 weeks ago and put 2200 km, or 1400 miles, on it after picking it up in Montreal.

By all means go 3800. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. (The newer engine hasn't been around as long...you'll get more horsepower, but will lose 2 mpg or so). The 3800 in my rental LaCrosse (Allure in Canada) had decent power, was quiet enough and got good gas mileage. If this is any consolation, my 1992 Buick Regal with a 3800, which has been meticulously maintained, has 229,000 + miles. So, pretty soon, I will be getting to within of 20,000 miles of the quarter million mile mark.

Also, I am planning on getting a 2008 Buick LaCrosse with the 3800 V6. Good luck! There aren't many cars out there I feel good about right now...this is one of the few.

Edited by trinacriabob

The "aura" or G6 or any Epilson is no match for the W body. You can get in that Lacrosse and just go, let the car do the work, relax and enjoy life. An epilson you have to drive and it wont let you relax, you will constantly be driving like its some world rally championship challenge at 90 mph, hairpin turns, getting great air over the bumps, real white knuckle stuff... :ohyeah: ......then you look down and find your only going 50......... :rolleyes:

Owned and loved a 91 Regal to death. W body with an earlier rendention of the 3800. The test drive I did in a CXS felt just like home but thats all I know about the Lacrosse from a personal standpoint. A Lacrosse will be at least one step up from the Lumina but you will still feel at home due to it being the same basic chassis. Im 100% sure you will have an excellent car, it is, after all a B U I C K !

:thumbsup:

Dratnol, what year Lumina do you have? My '90 that I used to drive had 210,000 miles when we got rid of it. That 3100 just keeps going, and going...

I have no experience with the LaCrosse, but I like the looks of them. I'd probably take a Lucerne myself, but it's also pricier.

I love the 3800 dearly, but I gotta stick up for the HFV6 here. I rented a LaCrosse CXS (3.6L) for a week over the summer. The engine quietly and smoothly did its job, with copious amounts of power readily available at all times. It made the Nissan VQ I rented last year (in an Xterra) seem like an old Iron Duke, both in terms of power delievery and overall refinement. Depsite some spirited driving with it, I still managed 24-26MPG in mixed driving. Although it's a relatively unknown quanitiy at this point (compared to the 3800, SBC, and Ecotecs), I'm impressed enough to want one in my next car.

I took that car down pothole-laden dirt roads at 45mph, and it felt solid as a rock with not a squeak or rattle. I loved my experience with it so much, I treated it to a self-serve car wash just before I gave it back.

Ya know, now that Mustang mentioned it, I saw some Lucernes that for whatever reason already came back to the dealers and were for sale in the low- low/mid $20's. It was after we bought the G6 too, I was bummed. Probably cars that the people couldnt meet the payments on, I can think of no other reason to take the huge immeadiate depreciation hit.

I love the 3800 dearly, but I gotta stick up for the HFV6 here. I rented a LaCrosse CXS (3.6L) for a week over the summer. The engine quietly and smoothly did its job, with copious amounts of power readily available at all times.

I loved my experience with it so much, I treated it to a self-serve car wash just before I gave it back.

212883[/snapback]

Where did you rent the LaX CXS? Phoenix, So. Cal.? And the point you bring up is what it's all about: the lack of history. I like having NOT to think about the reliability of my car. It needs to be a "given." That's why I love Consumer Reports and the dots. BTW, LaCrosse fares nicely in Consumer Reports. And I'm sure the results were based on the 3800 since CX and CXL versions make up the majority of what's out there.

What? You washed it for them? Are you from the NY metro area? Really? Just kidding, buddy.

Edited by trinacriabob

Dratnol, what year Lumina do you have?  My '90 that I used to drive had 210,000 miles when we got rid of it.  That 3100 just keeps going, and going...

I have no experience with the LaCrosse, but I like the looks of them.  I'd probably take a Lucerne myself, but it's also pricier.

212877[/snapback]

My current Lumina is a 1999 LTZ (with the 3.8 ). The car spent 100,000 miles on a rural mail route getting the crap beat out of it. It is still going with very few problems. My first Lumina was a 1992 with the 3.1 that I put over 238,000 miles on before I got rid of it. My family has owned 4-5 cars with the 3.8 and really like them. I do like the look of the Aura, but I will have to wait almost a year before some used ones come out. With the miles that I drive (yes highway) I would lose my shirt buying a new car. I don't care a whole lot for the quad headlights on the LaCrosse, but like the rest of the package. I am not looking for a car that can pull 1 G in the twisties or the like. A decent sized, comfortable car is what I am looking for. I have it narrowed down to either the LaCrosse or an Impala LS (pre 2006).

Thanks for all of the input guys!

Edited by dratnol

Where did you rent the LaX CXS?  Phoenix, So. Cal.?  And the point you bring up is what it's all about:  the lack of history.  I like having NOT to think about the reliability of my car.  It needs to be a "given."  That's why I love Consumer Reports and the dots.  BTW, LaCrosse fares nicely in Consumer Reports.  And I'm sure the results were based on the 3800 since CX and CXL versions make up the majority of what's out there.

What?  You washed it for them?  Are you from the NY metro area?  Really?  Just kidding, buddy.

212907[/snapback]

I rented it in SAT this past year. I had reserved a subcompact (Aveo) through Alamo, who rents mainly GM. After seeing the Aveo and doubting whether or not I could get a bike in one, I upgraded to a compact (Cobalt) and they gave me two free upgrades. I took the shuttle to the lot, and I was getting ready to load my luggage into a blue LaCrosse CX when one of the lot attendants drives up in this fully loaded charcoal CXS and says, "Hey, why don't you take this one instead?" After noticing the polished wheels, sunroof, and leather, I quickly take him up on his offer.

dratnol, do you use the rear seat for adults, or almost-teens? The reason I ask is that I found the LaCrosse to have a really tight rear seat area, especially with the legroom. I was interested in getting a LaCrosse CXS this past February until I really checked it out. I need the back seat for both my 15-month old and 12 year-old sons, and occasionally the wife will sit in the back with the baby. She and I both found the back seat area to be uncomfortable.

If the back seat will be used only on occassion, then you have selected a really nice car with the LaCrosse. But I find the AURA better suits my needs vs. the LaCrosse (now the Lucerne can be a different story).

Good luck with your search!

dratnol, do you use the rear seat for adults, or almost-teens?  The reason I ask is that I found the LaCrosse to have a really tight rear seat area, especially with the legroom.  I was interested in getting a LaCrosse CXS this past February until I really checked it out.  I need the back seat for both my 15-month old and 12 year-old sons, and occasionally the wife will sit in the back with the baby.  She and I both found the back seat area to be uncomfortable.

If the back seat will be used only on occassion, then you have selected a really nice car with the LaCrosse.  But I find the AURA better suits my needs vs. the LaCrosse (now the Lucerne can be a different story). 

Good luck with your search!

213043[/snapback]

I will not have many passengers, most of the time it will only be myself. Thanks for the heads up on that.

Nothing against a LaX, but what about a CPOed Lucerne?

I wouldn't be opposed to a Lucerne, but they are a little bit higher in price.

For those that want 'em, here's the pics of the LaCrosse I rented. After the car wash I took it back to the Red Roof Inn I was staying at for a brief photo op. I was mistaken in my last post about the wheels. They actually weren't shiny.

Posted Image

Posted Image

The LaCrosse is a bit hard to find in this pic. Look very closely, and you'll see it just to the right of that big black blob.

Posted Image

LACROSSE

Front track width 61.7

Height 57.4

Length 198.1

Rear track width 61.5

Wheelbase 110.5

Width 73.0

INTERIOR DIMENSIONS CX CXL CXS

Headroom, front 39.4

Headroom, rear 37.2

Hip room, front 55.3

Hip room, rear 54.6

Legroom, front 42.3

Legroom, rear 37.6

Shoulder room, front 57.2

Shoulder room, rear 57.0

"aura"

Front track 59.9

height 57.6

lenght ?

rear track 60.3

wheelbase 112.3

width 70.3

INTERIOR DIMENSIONS

headroom front 39.4

headroom rear 37.4

hip room front ??

hiproom rear ??

legroom front 42.2

legroom rear 37.6

shoulder room front 55.9

shoulder room rear 54

So HEY ! I have no problem seeing how the "aura" has more room in the back :scratchchin:

must handle better to with that longer wheelbase and narrower track :scratchchin:

it does gain 2/10ths of an inch headroom in the back seat..... :blink:....whats that like 3/16's...........yee haw, lets party :pbjtime:

:unsure:

I also find it interesting that the "auras" 3.6 gets 252/251 while the Lacrosses 3.6 only recieves 240/225 and totally different rpm ranges.........more typical GM castration, once again proving my opinion about their motives and final goals

It also proves the 240/280 L67 will blow the doors of both of them, let alone is more modifiable as the 260/280 L32 in GP has proven, plus a large aftermarket industry support. I still cant believe they will not make this an engine option in both Buicks when its clearly plug and play.

But forget about the engines.........how about all that extra room (?) and screwed up wheelbase/track proportions in the Epilson ? Must make it ride better too......no ?

:lol: I have way too much fun doing this &#036;h&#33; :lol:

I saw my first Aura today and it looks too compact, possibly accentuated by the "bubbling" up of the roof line which then cascades down to the backlite. I applaud what it achieves in that segment but it doesn't look as substantial as a LaCrosse....at least to me.