BV Goes Back to Dreamland

Cory Wolfe

It's nice here in Dreamland. It's the perfect place. Cars, guys, money... Perfection. I like it here. :P

Anyways, I've been thinking... In the next year, there's a few things I'd like to get done.

First up, is a job as some of you know. I've been looking and I applied at a VW dealership for a detailing job. I knew I wasn't going to get it fromt he moment I talked with the guy who was in charge of hiring someone (was an in person application type deal). He was snobby with a "holier than thou" attitude. No surprise here, I didn't get the job. Currently, I'm looking into the new Hyundai dealership where my Grandma got her Elantra from. Had a great experience with one of the sales reps. When I told him I'm looking for a job, he offered to help to see if there were any openings there and even if there weren't, took my info for if they ever did. I'm going back sometime this week to check what's up. Hopefully I get something out of this.

Second, my Millenia needs some work. I still haven't gotten the missing problem fixed, though I haven't tried yet. After that, I need new tires before winter comes, but I think my dad is going to help with that. My biggest concern is the driver half-shaft/axle... whatever the technical term for it is. It's bad. Turning while on the gas creates a clicking noise. Turning while on the gas hard creates the sensation of no power going to the left. That and sometimes after going highway speeds for a long amount of time... It'll shake and vibrate while off the gas. When it first happened, I thought I had a flat tire. I've looked at prices and at Autozone, it's just a littler over $50 for a new one... Thank god since most parts for my Millenia are expensive.

Third, I'd like to get a second car sometime within the next 6 months. I might be dreaming here, hence the topic title, but I feel this would be a better payoff than just replacing my Millenia. I'd keep it for my daily driver while this one would be... a fun one and something I could possibly work on or fix up... or even just for show. I want something rare that you don't see every day or even every year. A few cars I have in mind, that I've actually seen for sale in my area, are: 80's Alfa Romeo GTV6, 80's Mazda RX7, 80's Mitsubishi Starion, 80's Pontiac Fiero, 80's Toyota Celica-Supra, or an old Triumph or MG roadster. These are just one's I've seen. There are many more I'd consider.

Finally, I'd really like to find a great guy. Since Erik, I haven't really found anyone that makes me feel... "fuzzy" inside. I've met alot of nice guys the past two months, but none like that. Most would just make good friends. Thanks to places like Myspace and XY, I've atleast been able to do that.

So yeah... It's nice here in Dreamland. :D

Speaking on the finding a great guy track, just keep yourself open to different things. Don't put it in your mind as something you must do this week, this month, this year; just let it happen and have fun. Plus, the good friends could be the ones that turn out to be something special. That's how it worked out with me - out of nowhere, a friend I hadn't spoken to in a year and a half calls me for help and two and a half years later, we're still together. I know its different because my girl has boobs and stuff, but the concept is the same.

You probably can't find work at a VW dealership because you're too gay. Try SAAB. I'm somewhat joking. :P Good luck with the Hyundai thing, even if its just something lameass like detailing cars (j/k Northie!), it should be fun for you.

As far as your second car, I'd advise you to set aside a little nestegg for your current car first, then go search for your dream project. Nothing's worse than sitting around with two busted cars and no way to fix them. Also, seem to have a detailed list of nearly impossible to find random-ass cars. Keep it that way. As long as you have a primary mode of transportation, you should be as picky as you'd like with a second, third, etc. car.

Don't be in such a rush to find a new guy BV... it happens when you least expect it.

However, don't wait as long as I have... then you're just going to be an old maid LOL

What's the guy version of an old maid? A swinging bachelor? lol :AH-HA_wink:

(Pssst.... Pontiac Grand Am as a first project car.  I think I know where you can find one...) :)

215219[/snapback]

I think I'm going to let my dad take ownership of it and let him do what he wants with it. I'm not particularly sold on the idea of fixing up the Grand Am... There's so much wrong with it, and that's just for it to be road worthy. That and it's still just a Grand Am. As I said, this is Dreamland I'm in. I want a car that will make the enthusiast in me... well, you know. :P Like this one of these that are both for sale in Dubois...

Posted Image

Posted Image

Speaking on the finding a great guy track, just keep yourself open to different things. Don't put it in your mind as something you must do this week, this month, this year; just let it happen and have fun. Plus, the good friends could be the ones that turn out to be something special. That's how it worked out with me - out of nowhere, a friend I hadn't spoken to in a year and a half calls me for help and two and a half years later, we're still together. I know its different because my girl has boobs and stuff, but the concept is the same.

You probably can't find work at a VW dealership because you're too gay. Try SAAB. I'm somewhat joking. :P Good luck with the Hyundai thing, even if its just something lameass like detailing cars (j/k Northie!), it should be fun for you.

As far as your second car, I'd advise you to set aside a little nestegg for your current car first, then go search for your dream project. Nothing's worse than sitting around with two busted cars and no way to fix them. Also, seem to have a detailed list of nearly impossible to find random-ass cars. Keep it that way. As long as you have a primary mode of transportation, you should be as picky as you'd like with a second, third, etc. car.

215241[/snapback]

I'm just always meeting new guys. It's fun. I just hope one of them turn into that special something.

Thanks, haha...

Ofcourse... My Millenia get's all my attention first. With 170k and constantly rising, it needs it.

Buy my Maserati! :AH-HA_wink:

215294[/snapback]

Haha... Well, when I'm ready to buy, if you still have it, I might have to consider it. :P

Just run out on the court during a basketball game, grab the ball, run the court and slam a couple of 2 pointers. When they tackle you, throw a burlap sack over your head, and take you away, just say you were enzorafied and therefore not responsible. They won't know wth you're talking about and they'll unsack you and let you go.

• 2 weeks later...

Posted Image

215375[/snapback]

About that Alfa... It's an 86 with less than 40k original miles. Here it shows there are only 2 records on it and are most likely from title transfers as the car only had two owners according to the guy I talked to, the latter of which died. Now, the part that makes me cringe... he wants $6000 for it. f@#k.

Does anybody know what PA's minimum wage is set at? I'm literally trying to figure out if I could afford that Alfa, even with the lowest paid job possible. I'll get the first job I can if I have to no matter what it is. I will set aside my preferences for a car like this. I really, really, really, really want it. Fieros, Miatas, 240sx's.. f@#k those, haha. This is an Alfa Romeo. You don't get a chance to own one of these everyday. Especially one as clean and untouched as this one. So yeah, help me out here... I'm going to be doing some basic math the next few days to see if its just a some dream or if it could become reality.

Hmm... PA sucks, but a 36 month loan for $5000 (I would try to talk him down, and I might be able to get some help from parents/grandparents) at 7% would only be $154 per month. Add insurance to that, which I estimated at about $350 per month, and that's $500 per month for this Alfa, a little more than half than what I would make per month at $6 an hour. It could work, I just need to do a little more math to make sure. As I said, I really want this car. I don't think I've ever wanted one this badly.

Okay, so I've done the math...

Working full time (40 hours/week) at $5.15 (min. wage) would bring me roughly $824 per month, $9888 per year. This is the least I could make. If minimun wage rises as WMJ says, that would certainly increase the cash flow. Same with if I get paid higher than min. wage.

A $5000 loan at 7% interest for 36 months would be $154 per month. This is taking into consideration of possibly talking the guy down in price, as well as the possibility of my parent's pitching some in (since my Bday and Xmas are coming up). If not, a $6000 loan is not that much more at $185 per month. This is just for a basic bank loan. Through my mom's credit union, I may be able to get a more ideal loan.

Insurance for a 1986 Alfa Romeo GTV6 is estimated at $345 per month for midrange coverage. Like my Millenia, though, I may just end up with minimum coverage, which would cost me an estimated $111 per month.

After payments (for midrange insurance and $5k loan), I would have $324 per month or $3888 per year left to spend.

Taking gas into consideration... Gas is aroung $2.40 per gallon. I will be travelling an estimated 18000 miles per year. My Millenia gets about 25 mpg. I figure it will cost me around $1728 per year in gas. I will probably be able to decrease my yearly mileage by some by eliminating all the unnecessary travelling I do.

After gas and payments, I will be left with $2160 per year.

So... It's certainly doable. Should I? This is a car that I will have a rare chance of purchasing in the future. As I said, it's not everyday that you come across one these that are as clean and untouched as this one. While I don't necessarily want to put myself in debt already, I'd rather be in debt than not waste my life away not going after things I want. I've never gone through with something before. This Alfa is really giving me a good reason to do that. I would like to take care of some things before purchasing a car like this, but if I wait, it may disappear on me. I really on the fence at the moment. I'm going to go back, test drive it and such, and I'll see what happens. Suggestions? :unsure::P