Someone give me a DSL primer!

Mach5GTP

OK, I was logged onto AOL for a few hours on Sunday, not using it, just leaving it connected while I watched TV. Damned if the thing didn't have to reconnect every few minutes!! :angry: I absolutely HATE AOL, I'm dying for a good alternative, pref. not dial up. I'm looking at this SBC/yahoo DSL service that attaches to my phone service, it's only $15/month. I don't know yet if that's just an intro rate, like the first year, then it goes up to the "regular" price. If that's the rate, tho, it's cheaper than my AOL dial-up ($25), and it has to be better, right? I mean, it can't be worse! Ok then, if someone could answer these questions, that'd be super: 1- Is DSL more reliable than dial-up, i.e. no disconnects? 2- Is it generally faster? The SBC site claims a range of speeds, the lowest of which was about 128k IIRC. Does the DL speed vary like dial-up does? 3- Does anyone actually have SBC/Yahoo DSL in the Chicago area (847)? Like it? How much are you paying? Overall, I need it to be more reliable and faster, in that order, and still the same cost or cheaper. Thanks much in advance!

I suffered with AOL dial-up for years, and then got DSL. It was much faster and reliable. Then I went to Comcast cable, which hasn't been as reliable, but is faster. With what SBC/Yahoo is charging for DSL, there's no reason for anybody to be on dial-up anymore.

I used to have DSL before cable internet service was offered in my neighborhood. I had 512k down and 256k up. It cost me around $50/mo. Cable offered 3000k down for the same price -- so I jumped. The DSL service I had (Qwest DSL, ISP was through a company called VISI -- which I'd recommend in a heartbeat to anyone). DSL uses different frequencies on your existing phoneline. You'll need to add something called a DSL-filter on your existing phoneline connections--it looks like a small box (cigarette lighter-size) with a phone cable attached to the end of it. You plug it into a wall and you plug the phone into it. The DSL connection is always on and I found mine to be rock solid. I had one outage in the almost 3-years I had it. The outage was a neighborhood thing and Qwest had it repaired within half-a-day. I probably wouldn't have even known, but I worked from home that day. Best of luck!

DSL is worlds better than dial-up. The only problem I ever had with SBC turned out to be the phone jack I was plugeed into. That said, the price does jump after the first year, it was going to end up being as much as cable. So we switched to cable and got rid of the home phone completely, all cellular. Streamlines the bills(Cingular and the cable co. instead of Cingular, SBC(for DSL and home phone service) and Dish Network) and makes things a little cheaper.

I'm on Dial-up... It sucks. Really sucks with a crappy PC. But $6/month for dial-up is cheap and my parents are cheap. So... they don't care as they don't get on.

[post="16996"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

getting off is more important than getting on.

:huh:

we have time warner cable. it's amazing. 6 mbps speed, never down. Edited by regfootball

getting off is more important than getting on.

[post="17466"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Yeah, but if he has to get on to get off and he cant get on all the time or cant stay on, he wont be able to get off.

***I have to admit, that was one of the most fun posts to write ever. I'm strange.***

Yeah, but if he has to get on to get off and he cant get on all the time or cant stay on, he wont be able to get off. 

***I have to admit, that was one of the most fun posts to write ever.  I'm strange.***

[post="17558"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

dude, I'M ROLLING! Thanks for the punchline! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Broadband connections seriously depends on areas. I've used Rogers (Cable) and Sympatico (DSL) in different areas, with very different results. Here's partly what I've experienced for you to get the picture Rogers in North York (Rocks) Rogers in Markham (Like shit) Sympatico in Waterloo (Erb and Fischer Hallman) (Disconnections every day) Sympatico in Waterloo (Albert and Columbia) (Fastest connection yet) Just down the street gives a huge difference. I would say check with some people in your neighbourhood.