Richard Branson's SAAB Story

Flybrian

GM Press Release

FOR RELEASE: 2006-11-17

Sir Richard Branson Gives Green Light to Saab BioPower

Posted Image

DETROIT — Move over fossil fuel – that’s just so passé – or that’s the message as the UK ’s most high-profile and best-known businessman Sir Richard Branson takes delivery of a Saab 9-5 BioPower.

Sir Richard’s switch to his Saab flex-fuel car, which runs on the eco-friendly and renewable fuel source bioethanol E85 (made from plant products such as wheat and grain), reinforces the Virgin boss’ unwavering commitment to fighting one of the biggest challenges of our times – that of global warming.

Speaking today as he took the keys of his new Saab, Sir Richard said: “I am convinced that biofuels are the way forward, both for the car and aviation industries, which is a vision we share with Saab. Now we need to extend that vision to others. It’s high-time that flex-fuel cars, such as the Saab 9-5 BioPower, are given the same concessions in the UK as other green cars, like for example, exemption from London’s Congestion Charge.”

He continued: “At the moment, bioethanol is made from a variety of agricultural sources, whilst in the future, we will see it made from cellulosic waste matter, such as wood chippings, which really will make it the ultimate green fuel

Earlier this year, the Virgin Group announced that all profits and equity realizations over the next 10 years from the group’s worldwide transport companies, including Virgin Atlantic and Virgin Trains in the UK , would be invested in the renewable energy sector. The amount to be invested is expected to be some £1.6bn (about US$3.0 bn). Virgin Fuels is expected to be one of the beneficiaries and has already invested in bioethanol production and will conduct research and development into alternative transport fuels, including bioethanol and an alternative biofuel for aviation. Sir Richard’s new car will carry both the Virgin Fuels and Saab BioPower logos.

• 4 weeks later...

188 views, and only one comment on a pretty positive article??

Besides the post above, it appears to me that you do not want saab to succeed, or do not want to embrace change.

Come on people. Go drive one.

Please.

Help GM live.

Edited by Palmer

Besides the post above, it appears to me that you do not want saab to succeed, or do not want to embrace change.

Please.

Help GM live.

228013[/snapback]

I would if we got BioPower Saabs in the US...

GM should make all their cars flex-fueled by MY 2008 if they want to do something bold.

Please.

Help GM live.

228013[/snapback]

Sir Richard Branson is a marketing genious, but he also seems to be a cool guy. I'm glad a brand like Saab can align some of their marketing efforts with his image.

Well done Saab! Not give us who love your cars some killer new 9-5, 9-3, models (and eventually a 9-2 as well)