Cumberford on AURA

red

Robert Cumberford recently reviewed the Saturn AURA design in Automobile Magazine, but mainly focused on the continuance of GM's bean-counter dominance.

He alluded to a prototype previewed to the media in 2004 - remember that buzz of class-leading, innovative interiors? - and how the ultimate product was nothing like the original. He said something along the lines of "the AURA is an example of everything right and wrong within GM - designers and engineers build amazing cars, but it's everyone else in the process that screw things up."

An interesting read, worthy of checking out. Being an outsider, I've got to credit the guy for giving me (what I feel is) a more educated eye for automotive design.

Those rims, or a design 99% like them, are available for the SKY through GM Accessories.  Too bad they're 18" rims and my XE has 17"ers, otherwise I would have gotten them for my AURA.

222832[/snapback]

how overpriced were they? i was hoping they would come on an aura redline.

I thought that it was a rather disappointing review on the design itself. I'm "sure" he'd praise the designs of the new Civic or Camry though.

Sure, the interior isn't going to be as good as the concepts, but the matierals used within the Aura are much better than any other mainstream GM product that I've encountered.

I thought that it was a rather disappointing review on the design itself. I'm "sure" he'd praise the designs of the new Civic or Camry though.

Sure, the interior isn't going to be as good as the concepts, but the matierals used within the Aura are much better than any other mainstream GM product that I've encountered.

223498[/snapback]

He recently bashed the Lexus LS460, and generally has little nice to say about most design...He's a design critic more than an automotive guy, so he generally comments on aesthetics, not the true quality of the vehicle itself.

First of all, GM has no choice BUT to be a company of bean counters to an extent.

They have labor and pension responsibilities so there will always be cost cutting.

Secondly... This is the same Cumberford that about 2 years ago told us that the classic muscle cars that go for 1 million on Barret-Jackson weren't "in good taste" and "never really served a purpose" so I'd take whatever he has to say with a grain of salt.