1978 Cadillac Seville

HarleyEarl

Body lines on the 1st gen are so sweet, tho I do not think the taillights are an improvement over stock in the least. Vogue yellow/whitewalls have to go.

220711[/snapback]

Agreed on all points.

EDIT: It looks like they grafted a modified Pontiac Granville convertible rear clip onto the car. Nice work though.

Body lines on the 1st gen are so sweet, tho I do not think the taillights are an improvement over stock in the least. Vogue yellow/whitewalls have to go.

220711[/snapback]

Gee, we couldnt disagree more on this one. This car does look nice though. I dont think the 1st Sevilles were nice at all but I liked few cars from this era anyhow. Too "boxy" for me, Rivieras, LeSabres, Cutlass, very little appreaciation from me, gotta be pre 77. AND I like the whitewall but would really like to see gangster whites, like a 2" wide white wall.

For Domestic styling from these times I probably like a few of the Chryslers more ?

Camino- except for the taillights- that's all Seville in the rear clip. GV is a MUCH larger car, tho sectioning would at least make it possible.

Razor- within the '75-80 period, I do like the early Sevilles... but in general yes; they are too boxy & new for me. I could own one happily tho. Rule of thumb is generally pre-'73 for me.

Camino- except for the taillights- that's all Seville in the rear clip. GV is a MUCH larger car, tho sectioning would at least make it possible.

Razor- within the '75-80 period, I do like the early Sevilles... but in general yes; they are too boxy & new for me. I could own one happily tho. Rule of thumb is generally pre-'73 for me.

220749[/snapback]

Again we agree for the most part (sectioning is what I was thinking). Are you sure about the trunk lid? It doesn't look Seville to me.

That's beautiful. I'd have preferred the stock taillights. I wonder what the motivation was to change those...

Imagine that with a hardtop. Way sexy.

The decklid does look Seville to me, the Grandville had tapered sides to the decklid for the mini fins in the quarters. The Seville had a sloping, smooth lid, a la the photo.

Edited by ocnblu

220749[/snapback]

Were'nt the Sevilles all 4dr ? They never effected me but this car looks better. Now that era of Bonneville or early 80's not sure of changes - still gives me the creeps.

I think the 73-76/77 depending on model, GM's, still had some nice sheet metal, you just have to over look the bumpers and engine output.

I'm wondering if the builder was going for the classic Riviera rear look. It has the essence of that.

I'm a big fan of the original Seville...the only one I ever liked. Very classic profile and proportions. It would have been a beautiful two door coupe.

Here's a two-door conversion:

Posted Image

I believe the intent with changing the taillights out was to increase the visual impression of length/smooth out the sideview. The beltline trim accomplishes the same thing as well. But the 'Pontiac-ness' of the lights on a Cadillac is a downgrade- the original wrap-arounds are classically clean, without the now-ubitquitous & cumbersome 4 or 5 different-sized blocks of amber & white.

The headlights were swapped out also (the underlying turn signals are no longer there), and the cornering lamp assembly not only looks non-stock, but fake- not sure what's going on there. Tho it's tough to see clearly- the headlights are also not an improvement- the now added body-color around them makes them swim a bit & look more arbitrary in placement. I would much prefer the factory units.

razor- I agree- there definately is some still great sheetmetal in the mid-'70s, tho overall the cars are too new as objects of my ownership affection. 1st gen Sevilles are boxy, tho everything else was too in this era. It still has really nice, solid surface treatments and tight lines; that taper to the rear is now so nice to see. The Elegante with the painted steel roof and the less-clunky real wire wheels is the best:

Posted Image

Edited by balthazar

I like this one... top to bottom! Even the wheels & tires

fit the car (it is from the cheesy 1970s after all) I hate

the regual tail ligths and think they're very uninspired

so I think overall this is a big improvement. Something

about the RR/Bentley beltline makes it very classy.