Car runs better in cold?

I've noticed the wagon has been sluggish lately, and running pretty rough.

But since it has starting getting colder the last few days, it somehow seems to

run better...

The idle isn't as rough, a bit more pick up (not much) and pretty much stays that way even after running for a while.

It weird that it is affected by weather...

Could it be a sensor? Everything else Haven't checked all hoses yet, though)

I've been betting on the EGR...

What do you guys think?

Ask me anything.... :)

When I first got my 85 Seville, it would start up instantly on a cold start, but if I made a quick stop to buy something and came back out to start the car up again, it wouldn't start.

It turned out to be a problem with a temperature sensor. My dad took it out and it would start up fine. But then it didn't pass inspection. I believe it was involved in controlling the air/fuel mixture and the resulting emissions were compromised.

When I first got my 85 Seville, it would start up instantly on a cold start, but if I made a quick stop to buy something and came back out to start the car up again, it wouldn't start.

It turned out to be a problem with a temperature sensor.  My dad took it out and it would start up fine.  But then it didn't pass inspection.  I believe it was involved in controlling the air/fuel mixture and the resulting emissions were compromised.

222679[/snapback]

I'm wondering if it is a air/ fuel mixture...that could explain some stuff..and it's on

and off again gas milage....

My only guesses at the moment would be a bad hose, or a sensor (EGR)..

The EGR has been cleaned, but then again it is 13 years old with well over a 100k

on it..

THe MAP sensor was replaced about 7 months ago....

If its running better why are you worried? Ive never had a car that didnt run better in the cold. Its a good idea to let it warm up for a min or two but after that youre set...

Ever notice sometimes people ask what was the temp. when you measured the 0-60 or 1.4 mile time....some will even go so far as to ask about the height --above sea level or what not...

Ask me anything....

whats your cars weight in kilograms? nah, jsut kidding :)

Motors like the cold. Like the commercial says, heat is an engines worst enemy.

Maybe you just need an oil change?? --when was the catalytic converter changed if ever?

Edited by Mr.Krinkle

If its running better why are you worried?  Ive never had a car that didnt run better in the cold.  Its a good idea to let it warm up for a min or two but after that youre set... 

Ever notice sometimes people ask what was the temp. when you measured the 0-60 or 1.4 mile time....some will even go so far as to ask about the height --above sea level or what not...

whats your cars weight in kilograms?  nah, jsut kidding  :)

Motors like the cold.  Like the commercial says, heat is an engines worst enemy.

Maybe you just need an oil change?? --when was the catalytic converter changed if ever?

223337[/snapback]

Due for a change...another 800 miles or so....

I'm just worried about the rough idle...when it was warmer..it got pretty bad.

I've tried replacing a few things, just haven't been able to get rid of that bad idle...

A smooth running beater is a happy beater... :)

Would a bad injector cause pretty bad idle?

223713[/snapback]

It most definitely could..

Say you're supposed to be shooting in 40 lbs of fuel into each cylinder at a time, but one of your injectors is only shooting 20, that's going to cause that cylinder to have a bad air-fuel mixture and explode incorrectly/inefficiently causing the engine to shake abnormally.

It most definitely could..

Say you're supposed to be shooting in 40 lbs of fuel into each cylinder at a time, but one of your injectors is only shooting 20, that's going to cause that cylinder to have a bad air-fuel mixture and explode incorrectly/inefficiently causing the engine to shake abnormally.

223717[/snapback]

Hmm...

The interesting part is that is runs better when cold...but as it gets warmer outside.. the idle can get pretty rough...you can see the engine shake...

I've tried replacing stuff...and when the check engine light does come on...it can throw a different code each time...so it makes it tough...

Every car runs better in nipply air... it's denser, the water

pump does not have to work so hard, heat disipation is

no problem & when it's cold usually humidity is very low

whichh in turn means less electronic gremlins.

Did you check the pcv valve? I know its kind of lame but fuel injector cleaner might help if you havent tried. Lucas makes a pretty decent one. I swear by the transmission fix. They also have oil additives if you arent adverse to trying that.

I was skeptical about the trans stuff too but it was either that or say goodbye to the car...so i tried it and it worked very nicely. A couple of friends since tried it with very good results. I havent been in a position to try the engine stuff but the "tune up in a bottle" cleaner goes in the gas tank and might help.

I had a bad cat converter and it scared the living jebus out of me...Rough idle, lousy acceleration ...id mash the gas and it didnt go anywhere when it got real bad towards the end. They heat up like a mofo too. The undercarriage was glowing red. Youd probably know if its happened once already.

Did you check the pcv valve?  I know its kind of lame but fuel injector cleaner might help if you havent tried.  Lucas makes a pretty decent one.  I swear by the transmission fix.  They also have oil additives if you arent adverse to trying that.

I was skeptical about the trans stuff too but it was either that or say goodbye to the car...so i tried it and it worked very nicely.  A couple of friends since tried it with very good results.  I havent been in a position to try the engine stuff but the "tune up in a bottle" cleaner goes in the gas tank and might help.

I had a bad cat converter and it scared the living jebus out of me...Rough idle, lousy acceleration ...id mash the gas and it didnt go anywhere when it got real bad towards the end. They heat up like a mofo too. The undercarriage was glowing red.  Youd probably know if its happened once already.

223985[/snapback]

Yep, replaced the Pcv valve...

I think i'm going to try another cleaner...though last time I did it it worked for a few tanks..and then...

as far as additives, that depends...Usually it would be more for a quick fix,

but with the expection for the really bad idle, and bad pick up-the motor and trans

seen to be in decent shape. Once the car gets going..it can go quite well...

It's something I would have to look more into...

I haven't thought to peek under the car after a good long drive lately, I'm thinking

I should-just in case...

Marvel mystery oil!

But don't be paranoid about it, just think to yourself it fixed its self....?

224261[/snapback]

? :huh:

I've seen it-but really don't know much about it.

Is it one of those replace a quart of oil with this kind of product?

Does it work well in stop and go traffic?

Has anyone tried it?

Come on cap, tell me more...

Marvel mystery oil!

But don't be paranoid about it, just think to yourself it fixed its self....?

224261[/snapback]

...is that the purple sh*t? Ive heard some good things about that...but couldnt tell you from my own experience...

All ill say about the Lucas trans fix is that it has worked, on numerous occassions on numerous cars...and would reccomend it to anyone. It was that or nothing the first time when I tried it and it worked beautifully. The thought of anything else never even crossed my mind. Tranny honey or whatever other crap is out there.

Would that translate into the oil stabilizers and what not? I dont know.

But thatd be the first I tried--given the right situation.

whats this marvel mystery stuff...Id like to hear some more.

Marvel Mystery oil

Well first it took off 6 different emmison failure codes in a Pontiac Vibe. Fixed my Rough starts and did a good job cleaning out my fuel injectors. its pretty cheap to try i think a quart for $3.50 I put half in my tank and have in my oil when its a tad low.

I found out about it when some guy with a 30's Ford V8 had a direct dripper of it going to his valves. He swears by it so i tried it and it worked pretty good.

I think 68 used it in his 64 Olds 88.

Its one of the oldest additives.

Edited by capriceman

Marvel Mystery oil

Well first it took off 6 different emmison failure codes in a Pontiac Vibe. Fixed my Rough starts and did a good job cleaning out my fuel injectors. its pretty cheap to try i think a quart for $3.50 I put half in my tank and have in my oil when its a tad low.

I found out about it when some guy with a 30's Ford V8 had a direct dripper of it going to his valves. He swears by it so i tried it and it worked pretty good.

I think 68 used it in his 64 Olds 88.

Its one of the oldest additives.

224640[/snapback]

You put it in your Vibe? And it worked? Didn't know you could use it on newer cars..

So, you can put it in both your tank and in with your oil?

Have you put in in your caprice?

I think I might give it a shot in the tank....

Still thinking about adding it to the oil though...

just read the back of it they have precise measurements but i just glop it in.

Yeah around every oil change i put it in. But only add it in the oil if you a little low on oil. and add it to the gas when its full or at least half full.

just read the back of it they have precise measurements but i just glop it in.

Yeah around every oil change i put it in. But only add it in the oil if you a little low on oil. and add it to the gas when its full or at least half full.

225127[/snapback]

Does in go in the caprice or Vibe? Or both?

I'm going to give it a try as a fuel cleaner first..then I'll go from there... :)

Marvel Mystery oil is the world's fastest penetrating oil. Designed to free rusted nuts and bolts. Penetrates the closest of tolerances between metal surfaces and leaves a non-corrosive film of lubrication. Can be used as a fuel additive. MMO is great for the home, shop, boat, auto or farm equipment. Marvel Mystery Oil does contain petroleum distillates, is extremely flamable and is extremely poisonous.

# WHEN ADDED TO GASOLINE MARVEL MYSTERY OIL: Cleans and lubricates fuel injectors and carburetors

# Improves gasoline mileage

# Reduces and prevents varnish and gum build-up

# Extends spark plug life

# Safe for catalytic converters and oxygen sensors

WHEN MARVEL MYSTERY OIL IS ADDED TO DIESEL:

# Increases fuel mileage

# Cleans and keeps fuel pumps, injectors and nozzles free from harmful residues

# Reduces upper cylinder wear

# Promotes longer piston ring life

# Retards souring of diesel and lubricates entire engine system

WHEN ADDED TO MOTOR OIL:

# Prevents valve sticking and clatter

# Fortifies properties of engine oil, prevents breakdown caused by extreme temperatures

# Promotes easier cold weather starts

# Reduces and prevents acid and sludge formation

WHEN ADDED TO MARINE ENGINES

# Can be used on inboard and outboard engines

# Aids in winterizing other engine lubricants

# protects against oil congealing

• 3 weeks later...

I would see about pulling any codes from the ALDI connector, key on, engine off, paper clip from A to B. 14 or 15 are the codes you're looking for as it means the temperature sensor thinks your engine is too hot (14) or too cold (15) all the time. Check for open or grounded connections to the temperature sensor (probably located near the water outlet/thermostat).

Otherwise, if your car has a mass air flow sensor, it could be dirty. If you have an intake air temperature sensor, it might be giving a false reading. You also may be experiencing the first indications of a failing ignition module or coil pack(s).

I have the exact opposite problem you have. My Celebrity is IMPOSSIBLE to start cold. It idles funny and stalls and backfires and misses until it's warmed up. Then it will run fine the rest of the day. Then again I'm suspecting a blown head gasket on my car (white smoke on startup, milky residue in the oil cap).

I would see about pulling any codes from the ALDI connector, key on, engine off, paper clip from A to B. 14 or 15 are the codes you're looking for as it means the temperature sensor thinks your engine is too hot (14) or too cold (15) all the time. Check for open or grounded connections to the temperature sensor (probably located near the water outlet/thermostat).

Otherwise, if your car has a mass air flow sensor, it could be dirty. If you have an intake air temperature sensor, it might be giving a false reading. You also may be experiencing the first indications of a failing ignition module or coil pack(s).

I have the exact opposite problem you have. My Celebrity is IMPOSSIBLE to start cold. It idles funny and stalls and backfires and misses until it's warmed up. Then it will run fine the rest of the day. Then again I'm suspecting a blown head gasket on my car (white smoke on startup, milky residue in the oil cap).

Hmm...not sure about the clip thing...

temp sensor? Car's temp seems to be fine at the moment...

Coil back? Hmmm...possible...

• 2 weeks later...

Hmm...not sure about the clip thing...

temp sensor? Car's temp seems to be fine at the moment...

Coil back? Hmmm...possible...

Paper clip is a lot cheaper than the little plug-in $10 thing you can buy at AutoZone. It does the same thing, jumps A to B. Paper clip does it too and the only drawback is it might not stay in place. You might have to hold it there while watching the Check Engine or Service Engine Soon light flash. It won't shock you, it's just data. Not power.

Paper clip is a lot cheaper than the little plug-in $10 thing you can buy at AutoZone. It does the same thing, jumps A to B. Paper clip does it too and the only drawback is it might not stay in place. You might have to hold it there while watching the Check Engine or Service Engine Soon light flash. It won't shock you, it's just data. Not power.

Ahhh..makes sense..planning on trying this weekend.