Grandpa's new Buick

Chalk this one up to just being the right place at the right time--BIG time.

Currently in my grandparent's stable, my grandmother has a '99 Intrigue GX 3.8 that they bought as a demo in '99 with 5k on it, and my grandfather has both a '94 Ford Aerostar extended XL that he bought as a demo in '95, and a '97 F-150 stripper truck. The Intrigue is for her general driving, as well as their runs to church as such, the truck for his daily outings, and the van is kept in the garage most all of the time, and only ever used for longer trips.

The Aerostar is beyond immaculate, and in great colors even, and at 12+ years old, barely over 90k, but he really had been wanting something new for a few years now. He liked the van and it never gave him any problems, but he was never a big fan of it's floaty feel and bad handling or it's "no go in snow" RWD. So, for the past few years, two things that he's liked have been Rendezvous AND Azteks--the latter mainly because he knew it was the same under the skin, but less popular and could be had for less. Always casually checked papers for few year old Rendezvous and none ever really seemed to be in his price range.

Then his next door neighbor--who had an '03 Rendezvous CX FWD--was just going through a divorce, and in talking between them, had mentioned he really was going to need to get rid of it. Knowing what it was worth, and what he would pay, it was an instant lightbulb moment and while we were visiting them over Thanksgiving, the neighbor got more serious and asked him if he was interested. Long story short, he said what he'd give him, and the grandparents just got their "new" Buick this past week.

It's your basic Rendezvous, an '03 CX FWD, in Light Driftwood with the beige cloth interior--no 3rd row--and some things like aluminum wheels, rear backup sensors, and Onstar. Only 53k miles and always very well maintained--seeing it every day for the past 3 years next door and knowing the owner helped confirm that--and he ended up paying $8k even for it, which is actually a couple grand under even the lowest priced ones I've found in searches with more miles and not as nice of condition.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Not the most gorgeous color combo, in my opinion, but pretty close to the beige & brown Aerostar and definately low maintenance. My grandmother actually isn't a big fan of the outside styling, but I think she'll get used to it after a few rides in comparison to the van.

When the Buick was in warranty, it apparently needed the front bearings replaced twice for whatever reason, but had no other trouble. I also warned him about the 3.4L and the infamous head gasket problem (not sure if it was resolved or not by this '03 year), so he at least knows about it just in case.

I've driven my old boss's '03 CXL FWD a few times before and really enjoyed it, so this is a great move for them--much more pleasant on the road than the van, good gas mileage, and even a size that my grandmother can now probably handle.

NOW, if he could just unload his Aerostar...such a shame that they're in western PA, because the thing is in the condition of a garaged beauty from down south (I've never seen an Aerostar that looked as perfect), but the RWD may likely keep some potential buyers given that it's now snow season. Even he agreed that if he opened the garage door and someone interested saw it, they'd buy it on the spot, but no one yet. Let's hope it goes to a good home soon...and the Buick is more than nice to the grandparents :thumbsup:

and a '97 F-150 stripper truck

223611[/snapback]

Stripper truck?!? Pictures, please! :lol:

But seriously, it sounds like your grandfather got a nice ride for a steal; hope he has good luck with it!

Stripper truck?!? Pictures, please!  :lol:

But seriously, it sounds like your grandfather got a nice ride for a steal; hope he has good luck with it!

223615[/snapback]

Haha, yeah. Essentially your basic white 2wd regular cab work truck, bought with over 100k miles on it, but extremely reliable and problem-free. Also can tow their small trailor, at least when they used to use it.

Manual adjustments on the seats?  :blink:  My Intrepid has power...at least on the driver's side. It looks ok...I was never a fan of either this or the Aztek, but it's the lesser of two evils :P The interior colors look nice. Hope it serves them well!

223622[/snapback]

Actually, that picture isn't his, but of one almost identical--I do think his has at least a power driver's seat.

Opinions differ on the look of the Rendezvous--in certain colors and trims it does look pretty bad--but it is a nice vehicle overall. Feels very, very solid and tight, and is also quite refined on the road. And the 3.4L isn't a road-burner, but I thrased around my boss's before, and it's more than adequate.

This does still seem like a great deal, and even better that it came from the next door neighbor--just need to figure out a way to help him sell his museum-quality Aerostar now!

Edited by caddycruiser

Haha, yeah.  Essentially your basic white 2wd regular cab work truck, bought with over 100k miles on it, but extremely reliable and problem-free.  Also can tow their small trailor, at least when they used to use it.

Actually, that picture isn't his, but of one almost identical--I do think his has at least a power driver's seat.

Opinions differ on the look of the Rendezvous--in certain colors and trims it does look pretty bad--but it is a nice vehicle overall.  Feels very, very solid and tight, and is also quite refined on the road.  And the 3.4L isn't a road-burner, but I thrased around my boss's before, and it's more than adequate.

This does still seem like a great deal, and even better that it came from the next door neighbor--just need to figure out a way to help him sell his museum-quality Aerostar now!

223777[/snapback]

I wanna see pics of the Aerostar..last time I saw one of those it was rusted and blowing blue smoke out the tailpipe! Too bad your grandparents couldn't get the Enclave huh? :AH-HA_wink:

..last time I saw one of those it was rusted and blowing blue smoke out the tailpipe!  :AH-HA_wink:

223819[/snapback]

Tell me about it! That's why I say his is museum quality. Has never sat in the sun, rarely in rain, and never touched snow once. Plus only 95k miles, extra house rugs on top of the factory mats, blankets covering the seats, etc.

The pity is, as much a nicer driver as the Rendezvous is and newer, the Aerostar will sell for cheap enough to someone who won't garage it, will beat it around in snow, will muck the interior up, etc., and it'll never be the same. That's what happens when you sell a car, but it's just a shame.

If we brought it down southward where we live, I know someone would buy it in a second for top dollar and treat it decently, but we'll see how it goes with him in western PA. I think he was going to advertise it at $2800 and hope not to go below $2500 at the least--dirt cheap for such a perfect van. I'd take it, but I really have no use at this point. Spread the word :thumbsup:

Here's the only few pics I could find where it's visible, on vacation (yes, that's him in the one pic as well):

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

As for the Enclave, don't think that will ever happen--my mother is considering one to replace her Suburban down the line though--and he did say "well, this will be the last car I buy, no matter what".

Edited by caddycruiser

Cool, Tiger Woods would be proud. :)