Edmunds Evaluation: 2007 Nissan Altima 3.5SE

Variance

Posted Image

Remember the '80s? You know — leg warmers, the Cold War, Punky Brewster? At the tail end of that let's-just-forget-it-ever-happened decade, Nissan introduced a revamped Maxima, the ads for which bore the well-known tagline: "The four-door sports car."

Fast-forward 18 years. Driving the 2007 Nissan Altima 3.5 SE, that old tagline keeps popping into the brain. And while real sports cars don't have automatic transmissions or front-wheel drive or even a backseat, it's obvious that Nissan has quietly made the Altima the spiritual successor of that tagline's underlying philosophy: Just because a car has four doors doesn't mean it has to drive like a dumpster.

Edmunds

Our test car was equipped with the CVT, and the consensus here is that you'll never miss the conventional slushbox — Nissan's CVT is a winner. It works better as an auto than many autos, and has a more useful manual mode to boot. Like all CVTs, this one is uncannily smooth, as it never interrupts the engine's power while changing ratios.

good review

Edited by regfootball

Posted Image

Remember the '80s? You know — leg warmers, the Cold War, Punky Brewster? At the tail end of that let's-just-forget-it-ever-happened decade, Nissan introduced a revamped Maxima, the ads for which bore the well-known tagline: "The four-door sports car."

Fast-forward 18 years. Driving the 2007 Nissan Altima 3.5 SE, that old tagline keeps popping into the brain. And while real sports cars don't have automatic transmissions or front-wheel drive or even a backseat, it's obvious that Nissan has quietly made the Altima the spiritual successor of that tagline's underlying philosophy: Just because a car has four doors doesn't mean it has to drive like a dumpster.

Edmunds

No, just look like it was built from the NISSAN parts dumpster. Nice Quest front grille.

I still wish the car looked more distinctive from its predecessor. I'm starting to get used to the tails now heh. Didn't know the interior had the push button start, nice touch there(literally?).

Anyone else see a resemblence between the Altima's 3 knob center stack and GM's corporate radio? Not saying they're the same, just a thought that ran through my mind as I was scanning the pictures.

The car is quite attractive, I think. The 6 cylinder engine is pleasant but the 4 isn't competative. Worst of all is the CVT transmission. Chrylser and Nissan seem confident, everyone else not so. Seems like a gamble to me unless you get the manual/6 cylinder version.

All-in-all, I like the new Altima, except for one thing: The way Nissan packages their options, it is impossible to get a fully-loaded, 4-cylinder car with a Manual transmission. You can only get the 2.5 SL with the CVT. Say what you will about the Honda Accord, but at least you can get a Manual with the 4-cyl. EX. Sames goes for the Mazda6 GT 4.