So I started my first day of work...

So after looking for work since September I've finally got a part-time job delivering for a local Pizza place. I have to say, so far I like it. I mean, I get paid to drive...pretty sweet. Anyway, I decided to to use the Shadow since the Prizm was blocked by another car and I don't really want to use the Intrepid for this kinda thing. So I get to work and start making deliveries, I'd made my first 2 and then was asked to deliver two more orders. Up until now the cars had been running fine...a little noisy (it now has an exhaust leak, after 18 years with it's original exhaust system), but otherwise fine.

My first delivery took me to Market Basket, where customer service had ordered some food. I get out, make my delivery and head back to the car. I get in and go to start it...nothing. I then notice nothing is working: no dome light, headlights, gauge lights, door chime, and not even a turn over of the engine. At this point I'm furious because this is my first day and my car has died.

So I call my girlfriend and have her bring whichever car is free to the parking lot ASAP. Within a couple of minutes she comes in the Intrepid, and we make the other delivery (and one other) before taking her home. Thank God that the Shadow at least died in a spot she could find me easily, and we have a car that works right. Oh course, the Intrepid finishes the night without fuss...just used up some gas.

That night I get home and I'm too tired to give a $h! about the Shadow...so it gets left in the parking lot overnight. This morning we woke up early, and the two of us went to the Shadow. I thought that the problem might have been the battery cable that had been replaced by the mechanic a few weeks prior (the old one had exposed wiring and was cracked), because it had been running fine and the battery is less than a year old. When we got there I jiggled the cable and the dome light came on briefly, but went back off. We had called AAA to have it towed. He arrives, we explain the problem..and of course, on first try it starts up for him. He looks at me and laughs saying "the car must not like you" He shut it off and tried again, but it wouldn't start. Then he jiggled the cable while my girlfriend started it and it worked. So we took it back to the mechanic to have them fix what I believe is there mistake...so hopefully I won't get charged for it...or more specifically my mom (since it's technically her's...my car is the Intrepid).

But man..way to start off a new job huh?

I have to say, so far I like it. I mean, I get paid to drive...pretty sweet.

Heh ... lucky you. Wish I could say the same thing ... he he.

Sorry you ran into that bad luck, tho ... couldn't have been a very good "showing" for the new boss.... But, glad to know the car is back ... with no extra cost in getting it back on the road ;).

Cort:33swm."Mr Monte Carlo.Mr Road Trip".pig valve.pacemaker

PICS:lego.HO.model.MCinfo.RT.CHD = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort

"Swinging for the bleachers in the 9th inning" ... Michael Martin Murphy ... 'Still Taking Chances'

Heh ... lucky you. Wish I could say the same thing ... he he.

Sorry you ran into that bad luck, tho ... couldn't have been a very good "showing" for the new boss.... But, glad to know the car is back ... with no extra cost in getting it back on the road ;).

Cort:33swm."Mr Monte Carlo.Mr Road Trip".pig valve.pacemaker

PICS:lego.HO.model.MCinfo.RT.CHD = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort

"Swinging for the bleachers in the 9th inning" ... Michael Martin Murphy ... 'Still Taking Chances'

yeah...ya know nothing makes a better delivery car than a beater :P

Dodge, congrats on your new job. Actually, I might be alone on this one, but I'd actually look highly upon a new employee, who, on his own, got himself out of a jam, finishing up the rest of the day.

Shadows can be a pain in the ass. I don't know if the battery terminal wiring is a common problem, but I had the same problems, with my Sundance...

Dodge, congrats on your new job. Actually, I might be alone on this one, but I'd actually look highly upon a new employee, who, on his own, got himself out of a jam, finishing up the rest of the day.

Shadows can be a pain in the ass. I don't know if the battery terminal wiring is a common problem, but I had the same problems, with my Sundance...

Well, we had the negative terminal connector replaced cuz the old one had cracked and the wire was exposed. I guess they didn't put it on quite right. That poor car is so old and has so many miles it's a wonder it still goes....but it's like the frickin' Energizer Bunny: It keeps going and going and going (and leaking) and going and going.... :P

Wow. You're very trusting. I would never leave my keys in my car, unless I was out in the country with noone around.

I leave my keys in my car in the driveway at night. I'm in a pretty low crime area, mostly just meth with the occasional murder, car-related crimes are very rare. When I delivered I would only take my keys out if I were going to the ghetto-ass apartment complex or one of the ghetto-ass trailer parks*, not because I was worried about having my car stolen, more because I was worried about having the pizzas in my car stolen (which did happen to a friend of mine in one of the gehtto-ass trailer parks) or having my laptop taken out of the back.

*I use the term "ghetto-ass trailer park" in the nicest way possible, but thats the most appropriate description of three mobile home parks that were in my delivery area. One of them was completely bought out by the city last year and they made everyone move because the nearby neighborhoods were complainging about the smell. Turned out there were a couple of meth labs in there. Oops.

I leave my keys in my car in the driveway at night. I'm in a pretty low crime area, mostly just meth with the occasional murder, car-related crimes are very rare. When I delivered I would only take my keys out if I were going to the ghetto-ass apartment complex or one of the ghetto-ass trailer parks*, not because I was worried about having my car stolen, more because I was worried about having the pizzas in my car stolen (which did happen to a friend of mine in one of the gehtto-ass trailer parks) or having my laptop taken out of the back.

*I use the term "ghetto-ass trailer park" in the nicest way possible, but thats the most appropriate description of three mobile home parks that were in my delivery area. One of them was completely bought out by the city last year and they made everyone move because the nearby neighborhoods were complainging about the smell. Turned out there were a couple of meth labs in there. Oops.

I never, ever leave my keys in the car, unless it's to warm it up on a cold day, and then I lock the car and use my spare. Car thefts aren't too common in my neighborhood (though in othe rparts of teh city they are), but I wouldn't leave them in there if I was the only person around for 20 miles. :P

South Lawrence and the downtown area are prone to car thefts.

Lawrence, a town of about 12 square miles, was on the "top 3" list for car theft in the entire

country of the USA for something like 8 of the past 10 years. I might be off by a bit or

maybe I'm leaving out a detail but that statistic is not ar off from the truth.

Agreed. It was a "good save" on your part. I'd be impressed If I were your boss.

Lawrence, a town of about 12 square miles, was on the "top 3" list for car theft in the entire

country of the USA for something like 8 of the past 10 years. I might be off by a bit or

maybe I'm leaving out a detail but that statistic is not ar off from the truth.

Oh man, I hate Lawrence. Some of highest crime rate, it's filthy in most parts, lots of run-down 3 story apartment complexes with like an inch between them. It also has the highest car insurance rates in the state. When I have the money I am moving out of this town...but at least where I live (close to Methuen), is pretty decent.

Agreed. It was a "good save" on your part. I'd be impressed If I were your boss.

^_^

I guess I like to be safe. I live in the middle of nowhere, yet I never leave my keys in my car. I've seen people do it... and I thought "It would be so easy to steal this person's car, no one would ever notice". I'm not letting that happen to my Milly. I wouldn't care about my Grand Am, however... Come to think about it, the keys are in it as I type. Course, it doesn't run. :lol::P

Edited by blackviper8891

I guess I like to be safe. I live in the middle of nowhere, yet I never leave my keys in my car. I've seen people do it... and I thought "It would be so easy to steal this person's car, no one would ever notice". I'm not letting that happen to my Milly. I wouldn't care about my Grand Am, however... Come to think about it, the keys are in it as I type. Course, it doesn't run. :lol::P

Best anti-theft security :P