Steve is Approaching Week 2 Without His Breeze!

MyerShift

Welcome to the latest update of Steve (MyerShift) and his Plymouth Breeze.

Rapidly approaching, Thursday will signify the second full week I have been without my car.

First, it took the dealership forever to figure out what the problem itself was (and I've heard that Volkswagen dealerships are questionable).

Second, problem found regarding failing fuel pump. I was quoted Tuesday (today- January 16, 2007) as the day I would be able to pick up my car. So, I scrounged the money together for what I do have to pay regarding the repair, and I called Team Hillsdale Chrysler before leaving Coldwater to make sure that I could pick up my car, which leads us to:

Third, I can't get my car today because the part is on "NATIONAL BACKORDER" and I should be able to now attain my car on Thursday afternoon.

What really raises the flag in my mind is the whole "national backorder" aspect of this part. Now, is this part (fuel pump) something Chrysler does not stock and has to make each to order, or is this part of a true nation-wide failure of the part in all of the first generation cloud cars? I suspect that perhaps at least something is amiss, because usually a part is in the next day after ordering.

Well, I'm not sure what else is going to keep me from my car between tonight and Thursday afternoon, but I just hate to entertain the very idea of something else arising.

What do the rest of you think regarding this? Especially the backorder deal...

I know your pain, dude. I spent 4.5 weeks during the summer without the Sonoma...but it doesn't sound like the hell we went through with Carmax to get them to fix what their employee broke while he was fixing another problem. Hang in there.

"National backorder" doesn't necessarily mean there is too much demand for a part, it could mean there is too little manufacture. For example, perhaps there is a design change in progress, or a shortage of some material that goes in the part, or the supplier is on downtime... any number of things can lead to a "national backorder".

If you want to check up on the dealership, and you know exactly which part they are waiting for, you could call all the local Mopar dealers' parts departments and ask if they have one, and if not, ask for an ETA. They get an answer back from Chrysler parts operations when they place an order, giving status on each part in that order.

"National backorder" doesn't necessarily mean there is too much demand for a part, it could mean there is too little manufacture. For example, perhaps there is a design change in progress, or a shortage of some material that goes in the part, or the supplier is on downtime... any number of things can lead to a "national backorder".

If you want to check up on the dealership, and you know exactly which part they are waiting for, you could call all the local Mopar dealers' parts departments and ask if they have one, and if not, ask for an ETA. They get an answer back from Chrysler parts operations when they place an order, giving status on each part in that order.

I sure hope that's there is a design change to make it better if that were the case.

I know that there wouldn't be a bunch of cloud cars with failing fuel pumps all at once, it was just an entertaining idea, heh.

Oh well. I am still driving that gold Sebring sedan.

The only things I like about it are the 200 hp V6 vs. my 132 hp I4 and that it's quieter. Otherwise, everything is worse and cheaper feeling. The ride is all floaty compared to my car, and the steering is finger-tip light. Yuck. Then there's that interior with the horrid door panels and high cowl with an uninspired design. Plus, I have a list of 6 potential issues that that Sebring seems to have. I mean, I have spent a full two weeks with that car by Thursday, and I noticed all of its serious flaws, operating and aesthetic. Things like front driver's side weather stripping that's torn, the chip on the lower passenger side of the windshield, the clattering/clunking noise the front suspension makes over certain surfaces or under acceleration similar to that when I had my tie-rod ends replaced, the CHMSL is out, the lisence plate lamp is out, I bought wipers for the darn thing, the centre console door is technically broke, and the wub-wub-wub sound it makes when braking from speed such as on the Interstate.

Hmm, I have a list somewhere. Lol. I told Karen (service rep- a really wonderful lady) about some of these things and that I had made a list.

When I was looking for a new car there was an `02 Stratus at the same place the Intrepid was. I test drove it...the breaks were kinda mushy, the gas pedal was ok, but the steering was light and totally devoid of feel. And that interior...

• It's bland
  • The center stack is ugly
  • The gauge shield is uglier
  • There were various squeaks
  • The seats were not that great.
  • The door panels were made from super cheap plastic that flexed when pressed lightly, and wit was slightly warped.
I liked the `97 Breeze's interior I sat in the week before better (that was the cleanest used car I've ever seen). All the second gen cloud cars had going for them was the exterior.

Contrast with the Intrepid:

• Much nicer and more elegant interior design
  • Graceful exterior
  • Smooth sounding engine
  • Very nice interior materials (lots of soft touch goodness)
  • Quality plastics
  • Awesome stereo (it has the CD and cassette player, and 6 speakers)
  • Roomy
  • Comfortable
  • Better color choices
  • Better break feel and gas pedal feel
  • Much nicer steering weighting and feedback
  • Well tuned suspension (comfortable but not floaty, manages body roll very well).
Is it me or does it seem Chrysler knows how to build excellent large cars but have a hard time getting the midsize formula right? Edited by Dodgefan

speaking of breezes does any one need a back seat black cup holder to one? I was stuck on my cup when i left the car and didn't notice it till later. If you need it i will mail it out or i can post a pic to see if you want it.

Everything about the breeze is great except for the darn underpowered engine.

I agree. The first generation cloud cars merely needed more pop under the bonnet. Otherwise, they were better is basically every way compared with the second generation.

Sorry Myers- All Breeze parts in Michigan are in my Basement.... :pbjtime:

What about the Stratus and Cirrus parts? :scratchchin:

You know, instead of waiting for the parts to come from the dealership's stock, you could ask them to buy it from a jobber (ie: CarQuest, AutoZone, Advance, etc) to get the job rolling a little faster. Believe it or not, CarQuest (I work for 'em, so I should know), gets their fuel pumps from the same supplier as DCX.