CTS adds Diesel engine to its European portfolio

Flybrian

Cadillac will sell a diesel version of its new CTS medium-premium sedan in Europe

Link to Original Article @ Automotive News

Posted Image

But the diesel won't be available immediately. "We expect at least 50 percent of CTS sales to be diesels," said Braakhekke, Cadillac Europe spokesman. Without being more specific, he said the diesel would come during the early part of the model's life cycle. Company sources say Italian engine manufacturer VM Motori will supply the CTS with a 3.0-liter, V-6 diesel with about 245hp.

Cadillac needs to offer diesels to be more competitive against with German premium brands. About 70 percent of Audi's unit sales in Europe are diesels. For BMW the figure is 67 percent and for Mercedes-Benz 58 percent.

In the late 1970's and early to mid 1980's GM got burned really bad on diesel engines. We have had them. There was a 5.7 liter 350 V8 diesel. The division who gets most associated with it is Oldsmobile. There was a 4.3 liter diesel V6 and Cadillac had that engine that switched off cylinders. Those past mistakes have made consumers weary and GM is proceeding with caution this time.

They did get the cylinder shut off right this time. I think they offer one on the trucks and I think the Impala with the V8 has it too.

GM offered weaker V6's for economy in the 1980's and 1990's after that.

I remember the 3.8 and 4.1 liter V6's. The 3.8 had 110 hp. Before everyone says something, GM had a bunch of 3.8 liter V6's.

In Europe, you need a diesel in order to sell and make in roads. Cadillac is making sure the car has what it needs to succeed there. In order for GM to take its brands global, those cars have to be adapated to those markets. Diesels are where it is at in Europe. The BLS is the right size and it is not a hit there because of the interior not being Cadillac enough and what Europeans expect from Cadillac.

Only time will tell...

Not with VM Motori, who the hell are they?!! That sounds like they are buying this engine from some guy in an alley that has a bunch of stolen engines in a truck. Is this company even reputable? GM cannot compete without a competent, proven diesel engine, the Europeans will have a field day with them if not.

I'm surprised Mercedes' gas/diesel sales mix isn't skewed more toward oil burners. They're the European brand I think of when someone mentions the word "diesel".

I'd like to see Cadillac offer it here. I'd like to see other GM divisions offer the option in some cars. And a light-duty engine for trucks should also be on the table.

Mercedes was a bit slower than Audi or BMW in producing a more modern diesel, I presume they still suffer as a result. Their new car engines seem to be mostly similar to those developed by their VM Motori affiliate, with 2-, 4- and 6-cylinder engines sharing the same bore and stroke, although Mercedes' are all DOHC and the V6 uses a wider 72° angle while the VM uses a standard 60° angle. VM Motori's versions are produced under license by GM and Hyundai, the truck engines are supplied to Chrysler Group for the Chrysler Voyager (Austrian-built RS minivan) and Jeep Liberty/Cherokee (not the Grand Cherokee).

• 2 weeks later...

I'm surprised Mercedes' gas/diesel sales mix isn't skewed more toward oil burners. They're the European brand I think of when someone mentions the word "diesel".

I'd like to see Cadillac offer it here. I'd like to see other GM divisions offer the option in some cars. And a light-duty engine for trucks should also be on the table.

gm shold offer more diesel cars and trucks in europe and give us the option as well. mb is bringing out the bluetech in the states why shouldn't gm have something that can compete? here as well.