Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

Union president in Canada says strike against GM p

Guest Josh

TORONTO - The president of the Canadian Auto Workers union said Saturday that labor talks with General Motors Corp. have left him pessimistic and a strike could follow if things don't improve.

CAW President Buzz Hargrove has set a strike deadline for Tuesday at midnight. "On the major issues that face us, we have made absolutely no progress at all," he said.

Under the CAW's pattern bargaining with the three largest U.S. automakers, the union presses the other two to accept the same deal after it reaches financial terms with one company.

A deal was reached first with the Canadian unit of Ford Motor Co. and matched by DaimlerChrysler AG's unit, but GM, which employees 22,000 in Canada, is resisting. The company has said it especially doesn't like the pension deal set in the pattern bargaining.

Hargrove said GM argues that because it has more than twice as many retirees as the other two companies, the pension provisions would cost it an extra $59 million a year compared to its competitors, or $179 million over the life of the contract. He said discussions on ways to offset those costs have been unsuccessful.

Hargrove said the union also objects to GM's desire to cut 380 construction jobs, cut skilled trade workers at all their facilities, and a lack of commitment toward new investment. "All of these things make it very, very difficult to be optimistic today," he said.

Source: http://www.jacksonville.com/tu-online/apne...D8CQS2I88.shtml

As a organized labor supporter I do not agree with the unions stand on this and neither should the leaders. They all know the problem with pensions today exist because there are fewer young employees contributing to pension funds and this is not the way to ensure continuance. Show some pride people, the eyes of N America are on you so lets shine down.

in this time i would strike a least i will have a job is all im worried about. before my fathers new contract they gave his department a 200 dollar bonus just for signing it. also its not that bad it states if contractors are working they are working. so why strike? at least you have a job and it wont affect GM only if the inventory are low of that particular car or truck infect if you go to a dealer and said sorry there are none hear that sounds like its a hot car then poeple might want to buy it if they ONLY hear sorry where all sold out. the list is getting pretty long. or is that just me (I LOVE UNIONS but they need to be change to benifit the next generation*)

CAW President Buzz Hargrove has set a strike deadline for Tuesday at midnight. "On the major issues that face us, we have made absolutely no progress at all," he said.

Let me translate the above quote:

"GM is not giving us everything I want and if they don't cave it I won't look good"

If the CAW strikes can GM hire temporary replacement workers right away?  I don't know how that works.

[post="19779"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

They can't do that.. good lord, they are not making timbits. It would cost too much to train them. The Employees are going to have to look at the retirement expenses.. they should be happy to keep a job AND a pension! GM is in dire straits at the moment!

This process of holding a gun to the companies' head just because the first company signed a deal is so short-sighted. If DCX made $10 billion last year, they could be happy to have wage increases of 5%, 5% and 5% over three years. Then the union goes to Ford, who let's say lost $5 billion last year. The union expects Ford to agree to the same 5, 5 and 5, even though there's $15 billion difference in profit margins? That is so ridiculous. Every company has unique circumstances, to treat them all the same is communism. A strike at GM Canada would affect the following: Impala, Monte Carlo, LaCrosse/Allure, Grand Prix, Silverado/Sierra 1500 crew cabs and extended cabs, and small block V-8s. The CAMI plant (Equinox/Torrent) is CAW, but I think they have a separate agreement, similar to NUMMI in California.

This process of holding a gun to the companies' head just because the first company signed a deal is so short-sighted. If DCX made $10 billion last year, they could be happy to have wage increases of 5%, 5% and 5% over three years. Then the union goes to Ford, who let's say lost $5 billion last year. The union expects Ford to agree to the same 5, 5 and 5, even though there's $15 billion difference in profit margins? That is so ridiculous. Every company has unique circumstances, to treat them all the same is communism.

A strike at GM Canada would affect the following: Impala, Monte Carlo, LaCrosse/Allure, Grand Prix, Silverado/Sierra 1500 crew cabs and extended cabs, and small block V-8s. The CAMI plant (Equinox/Torrent) is CAW, but I think they have a separate agreement, similar to NUMMI in California.

[post="19920"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

You know, I never understood that either. If a company is required to abide by orginized labor, they should be able to do it based on THEIR state of business. Anyway, I said it before and I will say it again (and with this union stunt, even MORE people will agree with me) if GM wants to survive, we will have to look towards countries like China. Very sad, but VERY true.

If they do strike, I hope GM can get all the scabs they need.  In this kind of economy, I'm sure there are plenty of people who are willing to work.

[post="19872"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

My sentiments exactly.

GM, bring in the scabs!!!

GM, you cannot risk losing momentum on your volume vehicles for your volume division.

If the CAW strikes, it'll kill the momentum of the Impala and the Equinox, both of which are huge props and growth for Chevrolet. Not to mention it'll pretty much halt production of the 1 Buick car left and kick off the Torrent and Monte Carlo in a negative way.

There is simply too much to lose. GM better have a back-up plan or either we'll see another share drop like in 1998 and possibly the beginning of the end of another division like in 1998. (If you'll remember correctly, the Oldsmobile revitalization was gaining ground and doing well in 1998 with the introduction of the Intrigue. After the strike was over and initial interest had faded because of low inventory, Oldsmobile began it's real death spiral)

So, pretty much, we're risking growth and health for Chevrolet and Buick's very life in NA.

Or, GM could just let the CAW strike, lose momentum on a good chunk of it's volume vehicles and take a step closer to chapter 11. Then the CAW will be screwed anyway.

Funny how, instead of being constructive, the union is, as usual throwing threats, causing panic and subsequently probably going to cause more devaluation of the company; their very source of survival which is already dieing by the minute... Typical union greed and stupidity.

This process of holding a gun to the companies' head just because the first company signed a deal is so short-sighted. If DCX made $10 billion last year, they could be happy to have wage increases of 5%, 5% and 5% over three years. Then the union goes to Ford, who let's say lost $5 billion last year. The union expects Ford to agree to the same 5, 5 and 5, even though there's $15 billion difference in profit margins? That is so ridiculous. Every company has unique circumstances, to treat them all the same is communism.

It's the typical "know-nothing" think of grouping the big three at it's best. People don't understand that what's good for DCX might not nessecerily be good for GM or Ford and likewise they don't realize the products coming from GM might not nessecerily be representative of products coming from DCX or Ford, it's a 2 way street that usually has negative effects both ways.

You know, I never understood that either. If a company is required to abide by orginized labor, they should be able to do it based on THEIR state of business. Anyway, I said it before and I will say it again (and with this union stunt, even MORE people will agree with me) if GM wants to survive, we will have to look towards countries like China. Very sad, but VERY true.

I agree 100%