a trip to Canada

scharmer05

Some friends and I took a trip to the fine country of Canada this weekend. We hit up Winnipeg and a few towns in between and a had a great time while doing it. On the way home we took the long way, through a lot of small towns in Southern Manitoba. One thing I happened to notice is that in a lot of these small towns close to the border, there are a lot of nice, new homes (and quite a few being built) and what looks to be a lot of successful small businesses. A ton different compared to the small towns of the same size just across the border in North Dakota. People on average don't build new homes on the North Dakota side of the border unless it is in a town of at least a few thousand. Mostly because you can only sell it for about a fifth of what it would cost you to build it. And, small businesses on this side of the border just can't do well enough to survive. Just wondering if some of you Canadians on the board could shed some light on why you think this is.

Also while I was there, I saw a Silverado Special Edition (which didn't look to special) and a couple of Sierra Nevada editions (which just seemed to have 2 tone paint. Anything real special about them?

Some friends and I took a trip to the fine country of Canada this weekend. We hit up Winnipeg and a few towns in between and a had a great time while doing it. On the way home we took the long way, through a lot of small towns in Southern Manitoba. One thing I happened to notice is that in a lot of these small towns close to the border, there are a lot of nice, new homes (and quite a few being built) and what looks to be a lot of successful small businesses. A ton different compared to the small towns of the same size just across the border in North Dakota. People on average don't build new homes on the North Dakota side of the border unless it is in a town of at least a few thousand. Mostly because you can only sell it for about a fifth of what it would cost you to build it. And, small businesses on this side of the border just can't do well enough to survive. Just wondering if some of you Canadians on the board could shed some light on why you think this is.

Also while I was there, I saw a Silverado Special Edition (which didn't look to special) and a couple of Sierra Nevada editions (which just seemed to have 2 tone paint. Anything real special about them?

I'm not Canadian but I know the parts you drove through so maybe I can throw in my .02

the only industry is farming, otherwise folks leave those ND towns to go to metropolis' like FGO and mpls. Ag is too dominant, it holds everything else back. And even then, in ag, very few operations makes big money, lots of them go hand to mouth, even with all the incentives.

there is just no industry or real initiaitive to develop businesses up there and you cannot get folks to part wiht their money for anything. Once you cross and go into canada, the climate must change. I know there are some successful businesses just north of the border. They build prefab houses and also some places make granite countertops. I am sure there are many other businesses. Its because they need them there. In the US all that stuff is done elsewhere.

The economy in the US is very climate sensitive. People in the US with big jobs do not want to run businesses where it is colder than hell. But in Canada its cold everywhere so I guess people grow their economies as they need to, wherever they live.

My guess is also across the border people have a more focused attitude on life, because they are happy in Canada and don't feel the grass is greener. If you live in ND, or MT, or even SD you are always getting ripped about it, maybe it makes some folks more sour.

There are other parts in the US where you see parts that don't seem to be all movers and shakers. But they don't always have another country on its borders.

I think its what you make of it. I could move back to the GF / oSLo /ARDCH area and make of it what I could. I would just need to make good money. (even though taxes in GF are criminal and housing is way inflated there also) But in no way would i go to PEMBINA. I think if some folks would invest in some new industries and manage to make them successful maybe you'd see vibrancy. So bottom line, I don't think its that the Canadians are different, its just they their economy is more mainstream and that has cultural effects.

Edited by regfootball

IThe economy in the US is very climate sensitive. People in the US with big jobs do not want to run businesses where it is colder than hell. But in Canada its cold everywhere so I guess people grow their economies as they need to, wherever they live.

Good call. Like I always say, "Vancouver is Canada's Miami" and it's north of our Seattle, so it's a tad colder and wetter.

Therefore, the rest of the country is even colder. Mind you, I like Canada very much and their standard of living is quite high, making for a largely content population who really like living there. So, they put up new homes and start business in their own provinces. Alberta, from what I can see, is fluorishing the most. You can see the growth all around Calgary (I was there in August 2003).

In the Upper Midwest, people tend to gravitate toward metro areas, like Reg is saying.

....he was in the GOOD parts. Things only get worse, once ya hit Kenora.

Some friends and I took a trip to the fine country of Canada this weekend.

We're a country?

Good call. Like I always say, "Vancouver is Canada's Miami" and it's north of our Seattle, so it's a tad colder and wetter.

My city has been called 'Miami North' a few times. Mostly because of our very profitable drug industry... :unsure: