I Need Some Help from the Techie (Computer) Gurus

Z-06

Guys,

My friend got me the Supreme Commander RTS game, which is Err. Amazing. So much that I am hooked to it for hours.

My only problem is my old farty rig is not capable enough to handle it. The system resources are highly slowed down by it, (does not surprise me)

My Rig's current config.

P4 HT 3.0 GHz.

3 GB PC3200 Ram.

128 MB FX5200 AGP VIDEO Card (The Bitch of the Problem)

300 W PSU.

I do not have money to get the bang for the buck system, but I do not mind investing about $150-175 for a better Video Card.

Considering AGP is already dead, can anyone please suggest me a not so power hungry AGP video card with Pixel Shredder and other technologies without emptying my pockets?

Anything would be an improvement over the 5200...

I would recommend going for a 6800GT or 7600GT AGP version, if you can find it and on a bit of a budget. You'll need to upgrade your power supply to at least 350W as well. 300W is just too weak these days. Even the mainstream cards got more power hungry.

But first thing I would try if you do have any problems is updating your display card drivers.

Toni, Loki

Thanks for the replies. The problem with the PSU is that my computer is Dell. And although it does not have the proprietery Dell connection, it's buttons and connections are on the wrong side compared to the ANTEC power supplies. I may have to use hacksaw and other tools to cut my Cabinet, which I think is waste of time and resources.

I looked at the newegg, and I found this card BFG-Tech, which seems to be good.

But the power requirements on it are not my PC is capable of handling.

Let me know more.]

Edited by smallchevy

would a new case/psu combo be a possible fix for things?

something like these

i don't have a brand preference typically but some others in that range looked stupid/cheap, or prolly wouldn't work for you

Yeah. Retailing at Circuit City for 38 bucks.

It is F-ing Awesome.

I got the latest issue of Maximum PC and they have given it 10/10 with kickass rating.

Like me they said it is a system hog.

Thanks for those.

Guys,

My friend got me the Supreme Commander RTS game, which is Err. Amazing. So much that I am hooked to it for hours.

My only problem is my old farty rig is not capable enough to handle it. The system resources are highly slowed down by it, (does not surprise me)

My Rig's current config.

P4 HT 3.0 GHz.

3 GB PC3200 Ram.

128 MB FX5200 AGP VIDEO Card (The Bitch of the Problem)

300 W PSU.

I do not have money to get the bang for the buck system, but I do not mind investing about $150-175 for a better Video Card.

Considering AGP is already dead, can anyone please suggest me a not so power hungry AGP video card with Pixel Shredder and other technologies without emptying my pockets?

I haven't played the demo for Supreme Commander yet, but if it's anything like the beta (which wasn't fully optimized mind you), you're going to need one hell of an upgrade. For the video card, the 7800gs is probably a good one in AGP. The idea of spending money on AGP sucks though, since there are much better deals in PCI-E. Your CPU may give you problems too, the game is very intensive.