Toyota - Biggest Contributor to National Trade Deficit?

4gm

This is the type of red herring advertising that people come up with then the product or service they're trying to peddle isn't competitive. Toyota isn't to blame for the trade deficit, the government and the generation long ineptitude of American corporations are.

From a trade defecit standpoint, I'm more concerned about Airbus/EADS than I am with Toyota.

Japan Airlines is the largest 747 operator in the world. They are a few years away from being an all-American fleet; of their 266 aircraft fleet, 204 of them are Boeing, 42 are McDonnell-Douglas and the remaining 20 Airbuses are soon to be replaced by thirty 787s. All-Nippon Airways (ANA), their second largest carrier, is going all-Boeing very soon.

JAL recently optioned six 767-300ERs, a deal worth nearly one billion (with a B) dollars. That's 40,000 Camries. It helps even things out pretty quick.

I think this is the e-mail the article refers to...no idea where they verified their facts.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lou Kaltenstein

Tuesday, March 13, 2007

There has been a lot of talk about Toyota Tundra's new ads and how impressive they are. Here are some myths about their spots that I have found and that should be refuted. Also, they are offering a "IVC" type program on Tundra to help with sales.

I would guess all of you have seen the ad where the Tundra pulls a trailer up a steep grade (a 'see-saw'), and then barrels down hill and locks the brakes up just before the end of the ramp. Many of you have commented on how well done the spot is visually. However, here are the actual facts to share with people:

The V.O. at the beginning of the spot says...."It's tough pushing 10,000 lbs up a steep grade". Myth: Toyota would like the audience to believe the trailer is 10,000 lbs. Fact: It's a 5,000 lb truck pulling a 5,000 lb trailer. A little slight of hand? You bet.

Then, on the way down the grade, the camera zooms in on the brakes as the vehicles comes to a screeching halt just prior to the end of ramp. Next time you see the ad....look for the 'mice type'. It indicates the trailer is equipped with electric brakes. Fact....the electric brakes stop the trailer -- not the truck. A little slight of hand? You bet.

And why does Toyota have bigger brake pads? They need them....their truck is heavier. Stopping distance between our truck and theirs is virtually identical. And why does Toyota have a 6 speed transmission? To improve their fuel economy....which is still 2 mpg less than ours.

And don't forget....their big V8 has one axle ratio -- a 4.3. Suck fuel much? Our trucks offer several axle options to optimize towing and fuel economy. Bottom line: OUR TRUCK IS BETTER! Spread the word.......we can all make a difference.

Lou Kaltenstein

President

Gene Norris Buick-GMC Trucks Inc./Norris Auto Group

18170 Bagley Rd

Middleburg Hts., Ohio 44130

JAL recently optioned six 767-300ERs, a deal worth nearly one billion (with a B) dollars. That's 40,000 Camries. It helps even things out pretty quick.

Toyota is expected to be selling 500,000 Camries every year starting in 2007. That's a half a million Camries every year. That will make things eneven pretty quick, compared to that one time sale of 767's.

http://car-reviews.automobile.com/news/toy...-per-year/1760/

Edited by BrewSwillis

This is the type of red herring advertising that people come up with then the product or service they're trying to peddle isn't competitive. Toyota isn't to blame for the trade deficit, the government and the generation long ineptitude of American corporations are.

The government is also partly responsible for the ineptitude of American corporations.

Toyota is expected to be selling 500,000 Camries every year starting in 2007. That's a half a million Camries every year. That will make things eneven pretty quick, compared to that one time sale of 767's.

http://car-reviews.automobile.com/news/toy...-per-year/1760/

I am aghast at why they can sell a half a million camlees, when there are probably two dozen equally capable options that could divvy up sales a bit more.

simple answer, people don't evaluate for themselves, they merely do what they are told.

it would be useful to actually give a %

that and I believe the nation's trade deficit results largely from oil importation

As of December 2006 and according to the US Census, the ten largest trading partners of the United States represented roughly two thirds of imports and exports. The largest partners with their total trade in billions of US Dollars are as follows:

* Canada: $533.67

* China: $343.00

* Mexico: $332.43

* Japan: $207.74

* Germany: $130.39

* United Kingdom: $98.83

* South Korea: $78.29

* Taiwan: $61.24

* France: $61.37

* Singapore: $42.46

http://www.census.gov/foreign-trade/top/ds...12/balance.html

----

Doesn't look like any oil producing countries are even on there.

As of December 2006 and according to the US Census, the ten largest trading partners of the United States represented roughly two thirds of imports and exports. The largest partners with their total trade in billions of US Dollars are as follows:

* Canada: $533.67

* China: $343.00

* Mexico: $332.43

* Japan: $207.74

* Germany: $130.39

* United Kingdom: $98.83

* South Korea: $78.29

* Taiwan: $61.24

* France: $61.37

* Singapore: $42.46

http://www.census.gov/foreign-trade/top/ds...12/balance.html

----

Doesn't look like any oil producing countries are even on there.

dude, US gets most oil from Canada. :pokeowned:

mexico too i think

Edited by regfootball

dude, US gets most oil from Canada. :pokeowned:

mexico too i think

I meant to imply Middle Eastern and South American.....you know...Axis of Evil countries.

Only Canada and Mexico make both lists: http://www.eia.doe.gov/pub/oil_gas/petrole...ent/import.html

Saudi Arabia is second on the oil importing list, but does not appear on the trade deficit list.

Edited by BrewSwillis

http://www.census.gov/foreign-trade/Press-...lease/ft900.pdf

Trade deficits for January, 2007:

1. China -$21.3B

2. OPEC -$9.3B

3. Europe -$7.7B

4. Canada -$6.9B

5. Japan -$6.5B

6. EU -$6.5B

7. Mexico -$4.6B

BrewSwillis, you could read the source you cite better.

The chart you linked earlier was

TOTAL TRADE (EXPORT + IMPORT),

which is meaningless to this discussion of

TRADE DEFICITS (EXPORT - IMPORT).

OPEC is up at #2. But yes OPEC is the sum of several countries, whereas Canada is one... giant country that's probably as big as all the OPEC countries combined.

Edited by JT64

1. China -$21.3B

2. OPEC -$9.3B

3. Europe -$7.7B

4. Canada -$6.9B

5. Japan -$6.5B

6. EU -$6.5B

7. Mexico -$4.6B

BrewSwillis, you could read the source you cite better.

The chart you linked earlier was

TOTAL TRADE (EXPORT + IMPORT),

which is meaningless to this discussion of

TRADE DEFICITS (EXPORT - IMPORT).

OPEC is up at #2. But yes OPEC is the sum of several countries, whereas Canada is one... giant country that's probably as big as all the OPEC countries combined.

Guess I'm gonna have to take your word for it. That chart I linked was linked from Wikipedia, and was in a section about trade deficit, but now I see that it's total trade. I was looking for a quick and easy chart, and I have no idea how you found that info in that PDF! :lol: That PDF hurt my brain!

So really....Japan is the 3rd country on the list??.....and is the size of California.

1. China -$21.3B

2. OPEC -$9.3B

3. Europe -$7.7B

4. Canada -$6.9B

5. Japan -$6.5B

6. EU -$6.5B

7. Mexico -$4.6B

Wow, China is #1 by a huge margin but most of us know that already. What looks weird on that list is Europe is listed and then the EU as well. So, European countries not in the EU account for 2.2B?

Bottom line is that across the board, too much of our money is being shipped out of the country with nowhere near as much coming back to us. This is not a recipe for long term growth and success.

More telling, boys and girls, is the $59 BILLION trade deficit for a SINGLE month! How long can the American economy sustain that kind of outpouring of cash? Looking at the numbers on the above list, I find a bit of comfort in knowing that the pain is being spread around between friendlies and unfriendlies, but at the end of the day the American taxpayer is going to have to pay the bill at some point.

At first glance, it would appear that the ROW is financing Iraq and America's thirst for oil. That is not a good combination for the future.

More telling, boys and girls, is the $59 BILLION trade deficit for a SINGLE month! How long can the American economy sustain that kind of outpouring of cash? Looking at the numbers on the above list, I find a bit of comfort in knowing that the pain is being spread around between friendlies and unfriendlies, but at the end of the day the American taxpayer is going to have to pay the bill at some point.

At first glance, it would appear that the ROW is financing Iraq and America's thirst for oil. That is not a good combination for the future.

http://www.toyotafest.com/

SUBTOPIC - http://www.cheersandgears.com/forums/index...showtopic=16257