2007 G35

The M-debate article made me think of the J30. If the J-Series was still in production, it would probably be on the 3rd generation. IMO, the new G35 would actually be the modern equivalent (in engineering and styling) to a J35. The G-Series is now RWD, V6 powered, and the styling is more fluid with the rear dropping off at the end.

J30

Posted Image

G35

Posted Image

J30

Posted Image

G35

Posted Image

J30 (Sorry. Only professional interior pic I could find)

Posted Image

G35

Posted Image

The J30 was a rebadged JY32 Nissan Leopard, a size up from the G35/Skyline. The JY32 was a rebodied versuoin of the Y32 Cedric/Gloria, as was the FY32 Nissan Cima. The FY33 Cima replaced the previous G50 Q45, while the Y34 Cedric/Gloria became the M45, at which time the Leopard was discontinued. In size and development the Y50 Fuga/M45 succeeds the Leopard/J30/Cedric/Gloria.

The J30 was a rebadged JY32 Nissan Leopard, a size up from the G35/Skyline. The JY32 was a rebodied versuoin of the Y32 Cedric/Gloria, as was the FY32 Nissan Cima. The FY33 Cima replaced the previous G50 Q45, while the Y34 Cedric/Gloria became the M45, at which time the Leopard was discontinued. In size and development the Y50 Fuga/M45 succeeds the Leopard/J30/Cedric/Gloria.

Okay Okay Okay.... my apologies. :lol: I didn't mean literally when I stated "engineering." I actually know a few things (just a few) about Nissan's Japanese counterparts. I was strictly talking about the "Infiniti" line-up as presented in the US... more like the "purpose" of the car. When the Leopard was brought over as the J30, we didn't get the 4.0 V8 version. The J30 was (exclusively) a V6 RWD sedan. The G20 was Infiniti's 4-cyl FWD sedan. The Q45 was Infiniti's RWD V8 sedan. The G35 is now Infiniti's exclusive RWD V6 sedan. The M has both a V6 & V8.

So in purpose, the G35 is now Infiniti's old J30. I actually think the new G35's styling echoes the J30 also. It certainly doesn't echo the original G20. The M has pretty much replaced the Q45.

Any word on the Q's successor? are we getting one? Will in be more powerful and a true competitor to the LS460?

Any word on the Q's successor? are we getting one? Will in be more powerful and a true competitor to the LS460?

I hear talk a new Q should premiere late this year. There was supposed to be a concept shown during the current auto show circuit...don't know what happened with that. I guess they might be saving it for Tokyo's auto show in October.

I agree. Good Annalogy.

The J30 was only available in a AUTO.

IIRC you can still get a 6-speed manual in the G35 sedan. :wub:

By extension my Datsun is the Great Grandfathedr of the G35.

It was the very FIRST sedan to have a Z motor in a sedan with RWD, IRS, 4-whl disks etc.

(240Z inline-six with MPFI in a 910 Bluebird with a stretched nose, USA market ONLY)

I hear talk a new Q should premiere late this year. There was supposed to be a concept shown during the current auto show circuit...don't know what happened with that. I guess they might be saving it for Tokyo's auto show in October.

Bigger and blander than ever?

Who was it that tacked on a single vertical tail fin on the trunklid on a J30 in the mid 1990s?

It was painted up two tone orange or something like that with half moons IIRC.

Maybe Pininfarina or something.... R&T thought it was the shizz-nit!

Edited by Sixty8panther

• 2 weeks later...

no lie, the new 07 G35 driving in front of me today had the big green E on the trunk lid.

CAN YOU SAY RENTAL?

i thought the DOMESTICS were the only fleet cars......

Enterprise usually have non-traditional fleet cars... I've seen everything from MINI Cooper S convertibles to Priuses.

no lie, the new 07 G35 driving in front of me today had the big green E on the trunk lid.

CAN YOU SAY RENTAL?

i thought the DOMESTICS were the only fleet cars......

My mom actually had one for a rental yesterday while her X5 was in for new brake pads. You can bet I mobbed the hell out of that thing. I was pleasantly surprised with it, actually. The interior is somewhat nicer in person as well. Very cool at night, too.