How about an interesting discussion about Detroit home prices?

This item was picked up in the National Post today, too. The entire time I was reading the article about the plummeting prices of houses in Detroit, I couldn't help but think about all the shiny new Hondas and Toyotas I had just seen while walking my dog a little earlier. When I read these kind of articles, it makes my blood boil. Yes, the Big 2.5 have done some stupid things in the past, but the size of the avalanche of Japan Inc's market share grab in the past 3 or 4 years is breathtaking.

These are people's homes and lives that are being destroyed while people selfishly buy ANYTHING, as long as its imported.

Prime Example

1100 Sq ft plus finished basement so about 2200 livable sq ft.

November 1995 bought for $103,298

July 2001 home worth $163,634

February 2007 home worth $118,645

Who is the one complaining now? I put over 30k in repairs and improvements into it. And almost 29% of St. Clair Shores is for sale right now.

Who is the one to say the auto companies have no effect on local economy.

I live about technically 5 miles from Detroit, but really about 20miles in a nice Suburb. Its horrible Every one is selling no one is buying and interest rates keep going up while every day someone you know is getting laid off or there employer went out of business.

Theres a trickle down effect that has to run in Detroit for Detroit to work. However it doesn't work for your area.

Big 3 is our only source of decent pay in are area. well those workers buy houses and in tern buys products from best buy or a coffee shop that employees other people. so they have money to live on. so in tern we all buy the Big 3 cars because they supply our economy. Take the not buying the car out of the picture the Big 3 worker has no job no more coffee he goes out of business no one to buy the things from best buy so they go out. Its a Cycle. Fight me all you want thats how Detroit works. Once Detroit lost there factories we lost our income. Has anyone been to the true ghetto lately? Where people kill so they can have Shoes? and a coat? It happens every day. And you can't turn away from it.

Until Detroit Has a source of income its only going to get worse. Ask Nos About Flint? theres no reversing it. and its to late for the Autos to be that source of income, its days are over. No longer are there factories, but even if they were there you have to be a engineer to work on the "widow maker" (assembly line).

What am i doing no one even cares about what i say or that i lost about $40k on my house that i want to sell.

Yep.

I won't dare to go to Flint now....

I'm a prime example of how bad our local economy is.

I've been laid off more times in less than five years more than my dad who has worked over 30 years at GM.

Not good.

Bank owned homes are everywhere..many not in great shape...

I'm growing very tired of this area...even though I still love to call it home.

I'm also getting tired of my crappy job-I've been looking for better for quite a while now. :rolleyes:

It's looking like another (kinda young) college grad is leaving Michigan......

It's a tough choice-one I have to make before our lease is up in the summer....

( Wow, I don't usually open up that much...)

It's a tough choice-one I have to make before our lease is up in the summer....

First, thanks for opening up.

Second, I'm hoping for a move to or near Duncan, SC once I graduate college...

I can relate... I left Michigan at 25...I left grad school at the U of M and moved to Chicago then on to Colorado. That was 1997. The Michigan job market in my field (software engineering) looked weak then, I can only assume it is worse now.

there is no job market left in Michigan. I encourage all of you to leave Michigan its better else where. I like my job but we don't have many new contracts. But How things look I might have to take an offer for LAPD S.W.A.T. They said I'm always welcome. Is crime that bad down there?

there is no job market left in Michigan. I encourage all of you to leave Michigan its better else where. I like my job but we don't have many new contracts. But How things look I might have to take an offer for LAPD S.W.A.T. They said I'm always welcome. Is crime that bad down there?

Kinda like the bad parts of Inkster. :AH-HA_wink:

I can relate... I left Michigan at 25...I left grad school at the U of M and moved to Chicago then on to Colorado. That was 1997. The Michigan job market in my field (software engineering) looked weak then, I can only assume it is worse now.

I think you're right.

Question is-where do I go? Chi-town doesn't sound too much...and they even have a hockey team... :thumbsup:

If you don't mind me asking-why Duncan? Beautiful beaches? Good looking women? :thumbsup:

Nahh, they're 3+ hours from the beach. It's a nice area (so it seems), pretty good weather, and the company I'm potentially going to co-op with has a building down there in Duncan.. As long as they hire me after my co-op is done, I don't see why I couldn't be transferred... :scratchchin: