The Return to the US market update post

I've read (Motor Trend) that Peugeot/Citroen is looking to make a return to the U.S. market. Also, if Nissan brings their new Tiida comapct to the U.S., it's just the Renault Megane. So, if Renault is coming back, there might be some confusion among the model lines.

Also, if Nissan brings their new Tiida comapct to the U.S., it's just the Renault Megane. So, if Renault is coming back, there might be some confusion among the model lines.

[post="1781"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Wouldn't any return to the U.S. by Renalut take advantage of the Nissan dealer network?

Wouldn't any return to the U.S. by Renalut take advantage of the Nissan dealer network?

[post="2031"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Possibly...I'm wondering how they would spin it though...there isn't a gap between Nissan and Infiniti really...maybe bring in some small Renaults and market it as an entry-level brand against Kia or Scion maybe?

The biggest problem for Renault returning to the US is the lousy image their '80s junk had here (Alliance, Encore, Premier, etc) Edited by moltar

I've been of the feeling since the merger that Infiniti should be the best of both Nissan and Renault tech- and trimwise, as opposed to simply rear-drive Nissans rebadged for world consumption. As a result, Infiniti should be moved even further upmarket. This would create plenty of room for Renault and Nissan to fill their lines back up with near-luxury and performance cars. Maybe the G and M should be badged as Princes again. Just the weird way I think, hard at work.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the most appealing French cars stateside were the Citroens because they were of decent size and had innovative features and unique styling.

I'm looking at the current Renault lineup and I find nothing really that unique, appealing, or something Nissan couldn't just integrate into their lineup; just a bunch of weird cars. Oh, and check out the frontpage and scroll over the Menage Coupe-Cabrio. Let's stop saying the Grand Prix has the worst overhang in the world.

The allure of a French automobile (aside from a select few) really mystifies me.

Here's how I rate them: Citroen: super cool! Hope we get one soon. Alfa Romeo: Bring 'em here, also very awsome! Lancia: I'd like to see them here but not obsessed wit them. Puegeot: pretty neat but eh, whatever. Renault: Still laughing at the last Renaults we got in the 80s. :P

Yeah, I think Renault of today is pretty "eghhhh" inspiring, but the overall history and potential is something we missed out on in the 90s, but have a chance to taste again. Citroen's improved in leaps and bounds, as has Peugeot and Alfa. I think the only one out of the group that isn't doing anything right now I'm screaming for is Lancia....but I think being in the most competitive markets improves the breed, just like racing.

How about Fiat? I agree with BV that only Alfa Romero is worth bringing over and having a chance. Who wants a Peugeot? They survived as long as they did because they had the diesels, but when the market soured on those, nobody wanted them anymore. When these brands were here, none of the upscale Japanese brands were here, and MB and BMW are much more approachable now.

I would LOVE to see ALFA come back but ONLY as a TRUE RWD based Italian passion driven BMW/MB competiter. Not the OH YET AGAIN FWD line of cars whos best feature is nothing more then STYLING!! GO back to your GRAND PAST Alfa Romeo and build some GREAT PASSIONATE RWD CARS AGAIN to make your US return!!

I see nothing compelling at Renault, Citroen, or Peuguot. The only thing at Lancia that looks interesting is the Thesis. Fiat? Who wants something that looks like an early 90s Japanese sedan, Passat re-make or a copy cat of an Opel. Alfa has some hot stuff going on. I could totally see myself in a 159 or a Spider.

I know Alfa Romeo was planing on returning for a long time I believe..don't know what the story with that is...I also believe TVR may be coming to the US also...

[post="1376"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Okay, this might be flimsy to go on, but I was taking the Content Special Test in Italian for my Teacher's License, and there was an article I had to read regarding Alfa Romeo's return to the U.S. market... that it wasn't gone for good, but rather delayed. I believe I read something about a 2007-08 attempt?

But now who knows if this is a fictional article. They usually don't put fictional things on the exam (except for the conversations and writing scenarios), and if it was really coming so soon (in 2 years), you think we'd hear more about it.

If I find anything out, I'll let ya know :)