WHIPLASH TESTING

Bill Kwong, a Toyota spokesman, said the test does not take into account other aspects of a vehicle's response to a crash under normal driving conditions, such as the vehicle's structure, rear crumple zones and bumpers.

This is the key. They are testing the seats themselves in a simulated 20mph crash. They aren't actually crashing the vehicles themselves. So in the real world, the results will be different, and might differ greatly.

Seat design does need more attention in this area. The tests may not be completely legit due to factors not included, but good headrest design needs more attention, IMO. It bugs me to get into a car and find if I rest my head on the headrest, I'm staring at the ceiling it's so far back... I'd love to see more cars with forward/backward adjustable headrests. :)

This is the key. They are testing the seats themselves in a simulated 20mph crash. They aren't actually crashing the vehicles themselves. So in the real world, the results will be different, and might differ greatly.

in the real world few people sit correctly.

this test was conducted by the INSURANCE institute, this isn't about safety whiplash is a sore neck that heals in a matter of days.

Edited by toyoguy

in the real world few people sit correctly.

this test was conducted by the INSURANCE institute, this isn't about safety whiplash is a sore neck that heals in a matter of days.

Well, whiplash can be a seriously traumatic injury, but that aside, Toyoguy has a point. Lets remember that the IIHS isn't a satin white servant of the public good; its a lobbying consortium for the auto insurance industry. Who doesn't file for injury claims in an accident? Just like the bumper bash tests they love trumpeting about, who cares? My insurance will cover it and if not, I can find an OEM part for very, very little.

More bull$h! meant to reduce losses in a bull$h! industry.

This article has insufficient information to make any judgements.

What both Toyota and GM said need more explaining.

Shouldn't the IIHS collect whiplash data during their frontal crash tests, where the vehicle is taken as a whole?

What gave IIHS the great idea of taking the seat out of the car and testing it in an isolated laboratory setting?

Although I want to rejoice at the good standing the Cobalt received, I can't help but wonder about the total BS-factor of these tests. The friggin' Aveo has head rests that are adjustable for height and ratchet toward the head, so did they test all positions all driver's heads? PUHLEASE!!!