Should I claim insurance?

I got a stone chip on my windshield, and it's noticeable and expanding.

I went to a windshield place last time, and the guy said he can do it, and claim insurance for me. I'm too scared to actually deal with the insurance, who might raise my premiums if I have any claims. The cost of fixing it was like 70 bucks.

Anyone had claims like these and end up getting their premium raised?

I got some scratches on my windshield and passenger side window. The windshield damage is from some rock salt (or other mess) that got kicked up into the windshield well and dug in when I used the wipers. I have no idea what caused the scratching on my passenger window, but if I were to guess, it was probably some schmuck leaning against the car with something sharp scraping the window.

I hate these little dings and scratches. It's nice to have a new car until reality decides to take it for a drive.

Well let me give everyone a little 'truth' about this particular subject.

I might also mention that I work for Allstate.(no jokes y'all) :thumbsup:

1st, the truth to what many of you said is that a glass chip is covered under your comprehnsive coverage and usually done with no out-of-pocket expenses to the policy holder. It is typically about $60-$70 per crack/line, depending on what area of the country you live in. If you actually had to have the glass replaced, then your deductible would apply and your comprehensive coverage would pay any costs over your deductible.

Another truth someone mentioned is the $3k threshold usually used as the determiner of if a claim falls as chargeable or non-chargeable. As the name suggests, chargeable claims will casue a surcharge(rasie) in your rates while non-chargeable claims will not.

Here is the tricky part of this where most people are confused: :scratchchin:

Most insurers, including my employer, offer some sort of 'claims free discount'. They discount your premiums for every period you go with out a claim. If you are receiveing such a discount, than filing a windshield claim will cause you to lose the discount. As a result your premiums would be higher--but your rates weren't actually raised-- you just lost a discount. I have had more than my fair share of conversations with insureds who did not understand why their 'rates when up' after filing a glass claim. The other thing to consider is this: if you go to change carriers, this claim would show up on the clue report(clue is data base all insurers use to find claims that potential customers have had) and you would be ineligible for any claims free discounts, and might actually pay a higher premium than if you didn't have a claim on your report at all.

Bottom line, if you want my advice, just pay for it out of your pocket. Insurance policies are for those large losses that would cause a financial setback in your life if you didn't have coverage. As I have outlined, the long-term impact on you insurability could be much more damaging than the short-term benefit of you saving a little $$. :AH-HA_wink:

Heh in Michigan you have to make a windshield claim weekly. I-94 + Gravel Hauler = Broken windshield.

Just claim it if they raise there rates, which they wont, go in and threaten them with "screw you mother f@#kers theres 1000's of insurance companies that are cheaper than you in there first place, looks likes you lost my business and anyone i know that uses you." Don't be afraid to be the squeaky wheel.

Edited by capriceman

Here's the story:

After hearing about that from RegalGuy, I called up MIC again. Apparently their way of doing insurance is they don't have that kind if discount, and it's reflected on the premiums only. Their premium is definitely way lower than others, from what I found so far. The lady told me that, each year, I can make up to 3 claims for stone chips, and if there are more, then they will get suspicious.

Otherwise, it's going to be fine for me. I need to shop around again anyways, since my policy ends in June. I'll see what they give me as an estimate, and compare to others. But by far MIC is cheapest.

Are you nuts? This is Ontario. Do you see those shiny, marble buildings downtown? Those are all banks and insurance companies. Sure, they will TELL you that the comprehensive claim won't effect your record, but try and make a second...or third.

When my car got broken into in '97, 4 others were broken into the same night in our underground garage. So, me and one of the other victims went door to door in the 14 storey high rise with a petition to force the management to install a camera and security system. Ohhhhh, the horror stories we were told. It sure explained why many of the vehicles in the underground had their car windows open all the way! At least three or four people told me they were CUT OFF because they had more than a couple comprehensive claims.

IMO, unless you kill someone, insurance is not worth it. Especially in Ontario.