Greece pictures

I said I would post them sometime and here they are...pictures from my Greece trip in March. It's a beautiful country...we stayed in Athens for four days, taking some side trips to the Temple of Poseidon in Sounion and Aegina Island.

DAY ONE

View from our hotel

Posted Image

At the top of Lykabettos Hill, 700 feet above the city

Posted Image

An Athens street

Posted Image

1896 and 2004 Olympics stadium

Posted Image

Temple of Zeus and the Acropolis in the distance

Posted Image

This column at Zeus was blown over by a windstorm in the 1800s and has been that way ever since

Posted Image

Lykabettos Hill (left) and the Acropolis (right)

Posted Image

Me

Posted Image

Greek sculpture

Posted Image

The Stoa

Posted Image

Sparkling clean Athens Metro

Posted Image

Temple of Thissos at night

Posted Image

DAY TWO

Bus ride to Sounion

Posted Image

Reminds me of SoCal scenery

Posted Image

Cargo ships heading for the ports at Piraeus

Posted Image

Temple of Poseidon at the tip of Greece

Posted Image

Poseidon

Posted Image

It was so windy that day! Gusts were probably approaching 80 mph

Posted Image

Caught in Poseidon's fury

Posted Image

Greek highway

Posted Image

Enjoying the day

Posted Image

DAY THREE: Aegina Island

Port of Piraeus

Posted Image

Fast asleep

Posted Image

Boarding our ferry...the AIAS boat! (American Institute of Architecture Students = AIAS)

Posted Image

One of the few highrises in Greece

Posted Image

Industry

Posted Image

Cargo ship

Posted Image

Our destination in the distance

Posted Image

Resort city of Aegina

Posted Image

Waterfront

Posted Image

Byzantine church

Posted Image

DAY FOUR: Back in Athens

Lykabettos Hill

Posted Image

Posted Image

Greek theater

Posted Image

The Propylea...entrance gate to the Acropolis

Posted Image

The Parthenon in extreme wide angle

Posted Image

Parthenon

Posted Image

Temple of Athena Nike

Posted Image

Nike again

Posted Image

City before leaving

Posted Image

Posted Image

Athens is just gigantic...our hotel was near this square

Posted Image

Edited by mustang84

Very cool. Thanks for the pictures. Athens looks wonderful all lit up.

We're going to Europe this summer (HS graduation trip), and Greece will be one the countries we're visiting. We'll be island hopping from Athens to Mykonos to Kusadasi to Patmos to Rhodes to Heraklion to Santorini.

Appartamento vecchio! :smilewide:

Appartamento con un bidet pieno di cacca! :puke::lol: Now that I have your attention!

Great pictures, Mustang...thank you! BTW, I don't know where in Rome you hang your hat, but other than my 1st cousin near Bracciano, I have other cousins who live a couple of blocks from the Metro station called "Re di Roma," on a side street from Via Taranto.

A couple of Athens comments:

The metro really is nice, especially for a southern European city. In 2002, you couldn't yet take it all the way to the airport.

Did you see the hourly changing of the guard ceremony at Syntagma Square where those dudes wear those skirts and those shoes that appear to have pom-poms?

A lot of cats in Greece, right?

The food kicks ass, right?

I'm more partial to Portugal and Spain, but I will probably get back to Greece within the next 3 years...it was very relaxing in the more rural areas and the islands.

Appartamento con un bidet pieno di cacca! :puke::lol: Now that I have your attention!

Great pictures, Mustang...thank you! BTW, I don't know where in Rome you hang your hat, but other than my 1st cousin near Bracciano, I have other cousins who live a couple of blocks from the Metro station called "Re di Roma," on a side street from Via Taranto.

A couple of Athens comments:

The metro really is nice, especially for a southern European city. In 2002, you couldn't yet take it all the way to the airport.

Did you see the hourly changing of the guard ceremony at Syntagma Square where those dudes wear those skirts and those shoes that appear to have pom-poms?

A lot of cats in Greece, right?

The food kicks ass, right?

I'm more partial to Portugal and Spain, but I will probably get back to Greece within the next 3 years...it was very relaxing in the more rural areas and the islands.

My apartment is right off Via Labicana, basically about 5 minutes from the Colosseum. We missed the changing of the guard...I think it happens on Sundays, but we decided to go to Poseidon instead since it was sunny that day. Cats and dogs everywhere in Greece...in fact, they had a petting zoo in the National Gardens with two donkeys, three roosters, a turtle, and cats all in the same pen. We burst out laughing when we saw that...I mean, those animals obviously go together well! And yes, the food was great...they really feed you there; you don't leave until you're stuffed.

I should post up my Naples pics so everyone can see how $h!ty it is. :D