Change of Mind!!!!

Firebird or Lesabre T-Type  

9 members have voted

1. 1. What car would be a better buy?

• Buick Lesabre T-Type
    • Firebird Formula

I just looked on the Toronto Craigslist and Toronto Kijiji and I found 2 interesting cars. One, a 1987 Pontiac Firebird Formula and a 1989 Buick Lesabre T-Type. Both equal in price and both need body work and some other work. Firebird needs interior work and the Lesabre needs brake work. The seats would eventually need to be reupholstered since the leather shows its age but isn't ripped. WHat do you think? I really love the Lesabre T-Type but would it be worth restoring in the long run? Here are the links to the listings. 1989 Lesabre T-Type

1987 Firebird Formula

The T-Type is rough but I planned to repair it. There is some rust but I would plan to cover it up. I would want it for a lot cheaper anyways. The Firebird seems a little odd to me. The guy sent me a reply from my email to him and he told me where the car is but he said it was always left unlocked. That is kind of weird.

Guest YellowJacket894

So you've ditched the Fiero plans?

Well, anyway, skip on those two cars as well. Both are in pretty rough shape. If the LeSabre T-Type was in better shape, I would actually tell you to go for it because it's a pretty rare car and that bodes well for the future. The Formula is a little more abundant than the T-Type.

A-Rev, I understand what you want to do whole heartedly. Before I finally settled on the S-10 and just doing some minor exterior and interior modifications to it, I wanted a classic or something rare to drive to restore or take my S-10 and turn it into a pure performance machine. But that kind of stuff costs a lot of money -- and I stress that to you -- and you're better off finding something that will make a very nice daily driver first before you start buying and building projects. And, if the project bug is an itch you can't scratch, nothing says you can't take that money you've earned working and investing it in your daily driver. Just trust me on that.

Edited by YellowJacket894

No matter the result of the voting there is going to be another "What should I buy?" thread from AmRev in a week or two, just like BV did back in the day. My advice? Listen to YJ's advice, get something that will get you around reliably first then worry about pimping ze auto.

Ya I know. I find something every week lol. I have just wanted a T-Type since I was younger. The Firebirds I have always liked as well. Time will tell but I know the T-type needs quite a bit. I did also find a Blazer with only 130k, a 97 but it was part of the Car Heaven program. It will be crushed. Here are some more pics of the 89 T-Type showing its condition. The thing I dont like about it is that is was patched behind the drivers door. T-Type pics

Edited by american_revolution_2005

Guest YellowJacket894

Well, A-Rev, here's an option. I don't know why someone would want to do anything else to this truck. For $4,800 bucks, I think this S-15 is a hell of deal, considering what your money buys.

V8 S-15

It's in Florida, though. Maybe Fly can ship it your way. :D

A-Rev, I understand what you want to do whole heartedly. Before I finally settled on the S-10 and just doing some minor exterior and interior modifications to it, I wanted a classic or something rare to drive to restore or take my S-10 and turn it into a pure performance machine. But that kind of stuff costs a lot of money -- and I stress that to you -- and you're better off finding something that will make a very nice daily driver first before you start buying and building projects. And, if the project bug is an itch you can't scratch, nothing says you can't take that money you've earned working and investing it in your daily driver. Just trust me on that.

:yes:

after getting out the catalogs and writing the list of parts i need from oil to the block, Its going to cost me either 12,659 with a 410 hp Edelbrock create or 8,790 for a ZZ4 hand build up with about 380 hp.

thats just getting it so the car can drive then add on radiators and trans coolers and rear axles and computers and gauges and new tires, plus new paint so theres another 5-6 grand.

once you get to that point is it worth it? yeah i will have a sweet car, but with that i can buy and clean up the 66 Toronado i want to get.

To revamp the caprice they way i want it is going to be almost a 20-25% of my salary i make a year. last year i made 90k so do the math. Its more than what you could possibly make at your age. when i was at that age i spent most of my money on girl friends, food, stereos, keeping the mustang running, and well drugs.

So do what others are telling you get a reliable car thats good on gas and cheap to maintain. cough* J body or S-10 Cough* and get more social instead of think what car to get all the time. At your age friends will be more benifical then any car. Then start saving for college and once your done then build the car of your dreams.

Good point. The owner of this car now owns a junkyard up by my grandparents' place. It is a classic car junkyard and they have cars there that have been there since the 60s. I will have to check it out. The owner also owns many cars. He has a 1994 Impala SS and is a collector of the Lincoln Versailles and Mercury Monarches, weird choices. The yard has plenty of old Cadillacs, etc.

yea... i can support that! i bought my 71 nova for $2500...and it really didnt need much work at all... but you always put more then you need into a car, you put what you want... i guess i didnt get the project bug... i got the whole swarm... in all honesty AM REV, i know where your coming from, about the same age as you, and i want my first car to be freaking sweet... i honestly couldve gotten a more fuel efficient, more comfortable, modern car for cheaper...but instead im sinking money into this car, and busting my ass to meet my deadline of having the car presentable enough to drive on my birthday in 2 months...but you know what? ill have the satisfaction of completing a car. (though anyone who has a project car will probably agree its never truely complete) and knowing i completed something... you have to think for your self, do you want a car thats perfect when you buy it? or are you willing to save some cash for a car that needs some TLC like you shown... the decision is truely yours.... one of the best tips i was given was dont look at what the car is now... look at what it can reasonably be if you put your mind to it.. the lesabre andformula can both be really sweet rides... (personally id choose the formula and save for a massive motor. :scratchchin: ) i looked at a lot of cars... probably 3 or 4 LT1 camaros, 4 80's Monte Carlo SS's, some G-Body Regals, and probably 6 5.0 Mustangs..problem was,with each car, i almost jumped on each car... not cause they were a car for me, they had problems that were dealbreakers... but i almost bought them because they were cars... set out criteria you need in a car, and make sure any car you want meets those criteria... (mine were v8, RWD and 2 doors) so you find a car your happy with for a long time :AH-HA_wink:

Good advice,Supersport.

Both of those cars are do-able, but the T-type is pretty rough. Given the choice, I'd go with the Formula and fix its problems rather than turning it into a project (at least for now). It REALLY sucks when your project is also your daily driver (been there,done that).

The Formula would be easier and cheaper to fix up, has and will have more value, and can be modded in many ways since the aftermarket caters to f-bodies. It will also be easier to sell when the time comes.

The T-type would be better as a parts car for a decent one.

Dude you change your mind about cars more than some people change their socks! :P

As other have noted, and as I've said before...it;s strongly suggested that you get a nice daily driver before a project car. Project cars are great, but they cost a lot of money...if you're buying on a budget as it is, then you already know you don't have the kind of money to sink into it. I've suggested before...a 2nd gen LH car makes for a great first car. You can get them for pretty cheap (especially the Intrepids), and they're often in great shape. People get scared of the 2.7L but if you take care of it it'll be fine.

I paid $2,100 (American) for my car...almost perfect body, spotless interior, great drivetrain, 6 speaker sound system with CD player (and cassette, w00t!), power everything, and so on. The only thing that was wrong with it is the trunk light...big deal.

Or find something else. There's plenty of good used cars that will make daily drivers and can be had for great prices.

Once you have a daily driver that you don't need to worry about, then get a project car...you can take your time with it and not have to worry about needing a car while it's all in pieces.

Edited by Dodgefan