Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ocnblu

SCCA Autocross!

11 posts in this topic

I went to the mall this morning to get my hair did (1 on the sides, 6 on top with a fade), and noticed the parking lot was sort of full. Turns out the SCCA was having an autocross event in a cordoned-off section of the lot. Oh man, was that fun to watch! Mostly ricers with a smattering of domestics, the cars represented a wide range, from a PT Cruiser convertible driven by a middle-aged lady, to a new Z06 driven by a slightly thinner Santa Claus (car sounded WAY HOT going through the cones!), and a Lotus Elise (dude spun it, dummy). There were Cobalt SS/SCs, ION Redlines, a lot of Miatas, Mini Coopers, WRXs and Evos... even an old Lumina Z34 DOHC coupe with a 5 speed!

So now I'm all hot on it and wondering how much it would cost to get into something like this, just for fun. Heck, an old Ecotec Cavalier with manual trans and some sticky rubber would even be fun to thrash around the course.

Has anyone ever been involved in, or even been a spectator at an Autocross?

old Lumina Z34 DOHC coupe with a 5 speed!

Did those things have five speeds as an OEM? That would be sweet.

I'm a BMWCCA member so I have access to all the events that take place...I almost attended an autocross a couple weeks ago down at Qualcomm stadium in San Diego but decided against it because I need new tires soon and I'm trying to get the most out of my current set... Usually entrance fees are around 45 bucks or so (or at least that's what it runs for BMWCCA chapter races)...

I went to one yesterday, too. I rode with a guy with a red 05 GTO, it was tons of fun riding along, though it was very confusing which way the track went and I think it would take a while to figure out where I was going. He said it really wears out your tires (he has racing tires) so I'm not sure I'd really want to do that, seeing as I don't have much expendable cash for tires to go auto-crossing with. There were quite a few ricers here as well, one guy in a Legacy wagon, and old, old Accord coupe, a few POS Civics, and then of course there were the more serious cars... WRXs, EVOs, Z06 (old one), Solstice, GTO, SVT Cobra, and others.

my bro does that in his MR2, hoping to get his LT1 Z out there soonish. i think his membership is 40 for the year and 20 per race maybe..?

I went to one yesterday, too. I rode with a guy with a red 05 GTO, it was tons of fun riding along, though it was very confusing which way the track went and I think it would take a while to figure out where I was going. He said it really wears out your tires (he has racing tires) so I'm not sure I'd really want to do that, seeing as I don't have much expendable cash for tires to go auto-crossing with. There were quite a few ricers here as well, one guy in a Legacy wagon, and old, old Accord coupe, a few POS Civics, and then of course there were the more serious cars... WRXs, EVOs, Z06 (old one), Solstice, GTO, SVT Cobra, and others.

Yeah, if you have a set of racing wheels and tires then that's one thing (I wish I never got rid of the 2 sets of stock 17" bmw rims I had)...but if you're running on your daily driven rims surrounded by $1500 worth of rubber, then you've got another issue... :P

Always wanted to do it... never pulled the trigger.

I think the Datsun would be the logical choice but

even more fun would be to do it in a '73 Cadillac

Deville powred by a 500. :P

"And... car #68P runs the course in 19 minutes, 59 seconds, with 37 cones..." :AH-HA_wink:

It sounds like yesterday was a big autocrossing day. I went to an autocross south of Philly. In this region, SCCA members pay $30 (pre-regestered) and non-members pay $40 to compete.

The ranged from Corvettes and Elises (a number of each) to a late-model 6.0 GTO and a 2000 Caterham. It was lots of fun even though I got beat by a diesel Jetta.

The stock classes are cheap to get into.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0