TOYOTA SALES DOWN 4.3 %

..........PHEW! Thank God! I thought Hell had frozen over! :blink:

I know, but at least it's not the company as a whole. tongue.

They went for the consolation prize of the Lexass. I wonder how much effort they had to put to change their template of monthly sales report to not to include the "BEST EVER."

.......surely you can't be rooting for Toyota's ascent to continue? Is it by some Divine Right or something? Of course GM had nowhere to go but down. Of course, Toyota, Honda, etc. would pick up the slack. None of this was news. With the media constantly harping for the past few years that Toyota was the "largest company by market valuation" and that "GM's market share is down X points," the results were predictable - inevitable, even.

The tables will turn, of that I have no doubt. Once GM's slide stabalizes, the brands are sorted out, UAW dealt with and newer models eased in, Toyota's ascent will halt, perhaps even reverse.

Nothing is written in stone. As China's market becomes more and more significant, GM could easily regain the so-called crown.

.......surely you can't be rooting for Toyota's ascent to continue? Is it by some Divine Right or something? Of course GM had nowhere to go but down. Of course, Toyota, Honda, etc. would pick up the slack. None of this was news. With the media constantly harping for the past few years that Toyota was the "largest company by market valuation" and that "GM's market share is down X points," the results were predictable - inevitable, even.

The tables will turn, of that I have no doubt. Once GM's slide stabalizes, the brands are sorted out, UAW dealt with and newer models eased in, Toyota's ascent will halt, perhaps even reverse.

Nothing is written in stone. As China's market becomes more and more significant, GM could easily regain the so-called crown.

Add that to the fact that GM's presence in Europe (both eastern and western) and India is increasing. I only wish that GM had its presence in Japan. That is where Toy's bastion is and that is what GM should compete and bring Toy on their heels.

I'm not rooting for anyone, in fact, I have more to gain personally from GM's rebound than their failure...

...but from where I sit, GM is not doing nearly enough to reverse their slide. Are the products better? Absolutely---but that is not a great accomplishment, based on the mediocrity that preceded their new stuff.

The media lives by the motto 'if it bleeds, it leads'. If you don't think that the travails of GM, formerly the Largest Company in the World is newsworthy, then I guess you'll never get my point...

If apologists would stop saying that OK is good enough, maybe some down at the RenCen will get off their ass and really start aggressively addressing the real issues.

"Add that to the fact that GM's presence in Europe (both eastern and western) and India is increasing. I only wish that GM had its presence in Japan. That is where Toy's bastion is and that is what GM should compete and bring Toy on their heels"

That is the billion dollar question, isn't it? While Toyota apologists on this Board whine that GM "doesn't build anything I want to buy :hissyfit: , Japan Inc is walking all over us, and rice humpers of all stripes only tsk, tsk and blame GM for past perceived mistakes, instead of doing something, whatever that is, each and every day to get the message out.

Why is it that in every other market, GM is doing well - even beating the blessed Toyota, yet in North America is having its ass handed to it on a platter? And all the while we are told "GM isn't building relevant products." Relevant to whom? To the clowns at CR and MT, etc?

Honestly, if supposedly smart people on this board can't see that buying anything other than a Detroit product, regardless of how beautiful the neighbor's (insert your favorite import of choice here) is, then Detroit is doomed, North America is doomed and we will all be practicing "Would you like fries with that?" :deadhorse:

"Add that to the fact that GM's presence in Europe (both eastern and western) and India is increasing. I only wish that GM had its presence in Japan. That is where Toy's bastion is and that is what GM should compete and bring Toy on their heels"

That is the billion dollar question, isn't it? While Toyota apologists on this Board whine that GM "doesn't build anything I want to buy :hissyfit: , Japan Inc is walking all over us, and rice humpers of all stripes only tsk, tsk and blame GM for past perceived mistakes, instead of doing something, whatever that is, each and every day to get the message out.

Why is it that in every other market, GM is doing well - even beating the blessed Toyota, yet in North America is having its ass handed to it on a platter? And all the while we are told "GM isn't building relevant products." Relevant to whom? To the clowns at CR and MT, etc?

Honestly, if supposedly smart people on this board can't see that buying anything other than a Detroit product, regardless of how beautiful the neighbor's (insert your favorite import of choice here) is, then Detroit is doomed, North America is doomed and we will all be practicing "Would you like fries with that?" :deadhorse:

I'll assume I'm a referenced 'Toyota Apologist', so I'll take a crack at answering your query:

1. Toyota (the company) & the rest of the Japanese manufacturers benefit from the Japanese Gov't active policies and the US government's lack of a sufficient spine to address the imbalance. Vote the US officials out of office, but don't blame corporations for taking advantage...that's what they're supposed to do....(And before you make it a Japanese thing, keep in mind that there are plenty of predatory, soulless US companies that do the same thing in their realm (Exxon-Mobil & Haliburton come immediately to mind.)

2. a. GM is doing well in emerging markets (China, Russia, India) because the competition is not entrenched, yet. While you can make the mistake of assuming that that success should be easy to duplicate in a mature market like the US, Western Europe or Japan, the challenges are vastly different....if you look at the GM-DAT product being sold in record numbers, there's nothing that we need to bring here, its mostly 3rd world mediocrity.

2.b. GM's success elsewhere (including more sales outside the US than here at home in '06) means that, eventually, GM will move even more of its production out of the US. Will you be humping their leg when 60%, 70% or 80% of GM's production is not made in the US? Maybe you should be critiquing GM's awful management and product decisions that resulted in the loss of jobs...or their decision to spin off Delphi and throw Americans out of good jobs....

3. The Japanese have succeeded as a result of GM, Ford and DCX's arrogance, greed and short-sighted product planning. The media bashing and all other points are excuses. Nothing more or less. You don't need excuses when you're doing thing right.

4. It's absolutely Un-American to tell others that their choices should be limited.

You want to buy American---go ahead. What about Chevy's made in Korea or Ford's made in Mexico or GM's made in Australia? Are those OK or no good?

It's a global economy, my friend. GM is just waking up to that fact. I hope its not too late.

We may all be flipping burgers...some of us will be in the suit and tie, others manning the fryer. With your logic and analytical abilities, I'm sure you'll be comfortable with your place in that society.

"We may all be flipping burgers..."

Since 1979, the UAW has been cut in half. So how come 1/2 of 'we all' are NOT 'flipping burgers' now?? To some, UAW is THE most important job in the world. But, now, you can't drop out of HS, get a job at a plant through "family connections", and screw lightbulbs for $50/hr. However, it is not as if the only jobs now available are fast food. One has to do more door knocking and skill selling, now, instead of just asking daddy for a job.

Anyway, Toyota is down, now that they are #1, they have to play 'King of the Hill'.

April 2007 Monthly Sales for GM: 311,687 units.

April 2007 Monthly Sales for Toyota: 210,457 units.

1st Grade Math: 311,687 - 210,457 = 101,230 units.

I do not post on here hardly at all. I enjoy the bantering of the forums. But looking at these numbers, if GM continues this trend, it is certainly on its way to becoming a profitable automaker once again. With exciting new products on the horizon, and its management getting all of its ducks in a row, GM can pull this off. Hopefully, products are brought faster to market than the expectations out there. It does not matter if GM is #1 right now. It is more important to develop a complete product line and sell cars.

Encouraging news that its fleet sales continue to decline.

I have no love for Toyota. I am not even going to go there. My first 3 lines of my post say enough about that company. :scratchchin: