I need your car buying advise...

Hi all

I have a friend whose looking for a new used car, she has her sights set on a 2003 Ford Taurus LX with 65,000 on it and it's in great condition, they are asking $7,995.00 for it. Now I have already blue booked it and the dealer is coming in slightly lower than its blue book value that's not my question. My question is. I don't know what the reliability record is for the Taurus. Could someone please help me out on this? It would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Robert

One word-record of maintenance. If it has been maintained it will be fine...if not, your friend is screwed.

8k sounds high to me, around here that will buy more car than that but every market is different.

Chris

Hi all

I have a friend whose looking for a new used car, she has her sights set on a 2003 Ford Taurus LX with 65,000 on it and it's in great condition, they are asking $7,995.00 for it. Now I have already blue booked it and the dealer is coming in slightly lower than its blue book value that's not my question. My question is. I don't know what the reliability record is for the Taurus. Could someone please help me out on this? It would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Robert

hell no on that price.....besides, has the transmission been replaced yet? Generally you do that at every other oil change on the Taurus.

As mentioned above, the Taurus has lots of transmission problems. Prepare to get it overhauled at least once. I drive a higher mileage Taurus at work now, and I've seen plenty of other Tauruses with these issues.

Hmmm...

Besides the fact that the trans are not strong ( I hope she's a driver who is easy on cars), and the fact that I've seen some

00-01s with RUST on them, they aren't bad cars. And they will run (most of the time) 100-150k without too much do to.

The Motors seem to hold up......

02-03s will go for about 4995-7995 here....

Thanks guys for the advise. I was able to talk her out purchasing the Taurus based on your advise about the transmission. Now I want to try and get her to look at an Impala 2003 and up. I've heard the reliability on the Impala's are pretty solid and it's a GM vehicle to boot. :D