Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

Fantasia Barrino Reveals She's Illiterate

pow

NEW YORK (AP) - "American Idol" winner Fantasia Barrino reveals in her memoirs that she is functionally illiterate and had to fake her way through some scripted portions the televised talent show, which she won in 2004. "You're illiterate to just about everything. You don't want to misspell," Fantasia told ABC's "20/20.""So that, for me, kept me in a box and I didn't, wouldn't come out." The 21-year-old R&B singer says she's signed record deals and contracts that she didn't read and couldn't understand. But the hardest part, she said, is not being able to read to Zion, her 4-year-old daughter. "That hurts really bad," she said, adding that she is now learning to read with tutors. In her memoir, "Life is Not a Fairy Tale," which she dictated to a freelance writer, Fantasia also said she was raped in the ninth grade by a classmate. She says the boy was disciplined, but she blamed herself for the attack. She dropped out of high school that year and became an unwed mother at 17.

That was the worst season of AI and not just because an illiterate unwed young mother won. At least she didn't actively try to have a child. I'm sorry she was raped but I don't think she should be blaming herself for what happened.

Good job for not bringing on any scumbag opinions... Yeah, if she learns how to read, that breaks a bad cycle that ran throughout her family. It would be a good idea to go to college afterwards too. Because her sound is partly on the R&B side, and the R&B world is really fickle with who they will support these days. Up until the 80s, you had a real career you could go 40 years with. Those that come out today are considered hasbeens at 23, no matter how good your later albums are, because the interest is in finding the next teenaged pinup. Even the Yonce will experience this soon.

She dropped out of highschool???????? How the hell did she get out of elementry school without being able to read..at least the basics? This is a great example how our nations school systems sucks!! I mean we spend BILLIONS for war and other BS but our nations most important resources (our children) are being left behind.

Beyonce is extremely talented...and those legs...

[post="23118"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

not to mention her gorgeous cream colored skin. Phew man.....

and that's what makes it an excellent show; it really is a talent show, and the best part is that the concept of "talent" has evolved on the show. Witness the success of Bo Bice to know that the definition of talent will continue to evolve on the show, and already has evolved to the point where they are looking for an all-around true entertainer and not just a "good voice" anymore. Bice was an excellent performer out the gate, and there were a few others like him too.

especially in daisy dukes and red high heals rolling around on the ground for the Crazy In Love video...mmmmmmhmmmmmmmm!!!

[post="23217"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

dude, you gotta see her live. there's no excuse for not seeing this bewitching woman live. her body is even more amazing in person. her face is more amazing. her skin is more amazing......welll you get the picture........ and dayum, are you kidding me, do they really do lap dances in those dresses!!

Ever heard of light-skinned Blacks, Croc?

[post="23471"][/post]

I sure have, friends with several of them! But their skin isn't cream-colored, more like cafe au lait!

Here are two of my friends, Rachel (left) and Kaiti:

Posted Image

Kaiti has the closest to cream-colored skin, but she's white. Rachel? Kinda CoffeeMate. Edited by Croc

She dropped out of highschool???????? How the hell did she get out of elementry school without being able to read..at least the basics? This is a great example how our nations school systems sucks!! I mean we spend BILLIONS for war and other BS but our nations most important resources (our children) are being left behind.

[post="23120"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

That would be the inner-city school system and I think the problem of attitudes and culture are just as huge as the problem regarding funding.

You can throw billions at schools but if the kids who attend them don't care about learning and would rather spend more time peddling drugs, banging hos and dreaming about becoming a rap star (or just living the rap star life without the fame and fortune), you're wasting money.

Croc, USC looks like it's probably going wonderfully for you. U must have it real easy meeting people,  unlike those of us in the real world ;)

[post="23509"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Oh, the girls are pretty decent out here, not gonna lie...but those two actually are from my HS class back in Indianapolis. Edited by Croc

I sure have, friends with several of them!  But their skin isn't cream-colored, more like cafe au lait!

Here are two of my friends, Rachel (left) and Kaiti:

Posted Image

Kaiti has the closest to cream-colored skin, but she's white.  Rachel?  Kinda CoffeeMate.

[post="23485"][/post]

Last time I checked, CoffeeMate's off-white in color...

Old girl looks more red, like me....the Yonce is kinda golden looking.