Chevy grows some....

Just putting some used Camry's in front of the used car lot would send a good signal too.

Funny you say that, Luther P-B-G here in Fargo has Camries on the used car lot CONSTANTLY, but it is a big dealer that owns a ton of dealerships down in the Minneapolis area including a couple of Toyota dealers. I would guess that is how they are making it happen.

"Hmmmm.....a hell of a lot of consumers are purchasing cars and SUVs with that "expensive, unecessary toy."

Really? In the sub-$20k class? We aren't talking Lexus/Infiniti/Buick category here. Remembering that the Malibu is supposed to be positioned below the Impala (and Aura, I would think). For $2k, one could get a several years worth of "Directions and Connections upgrade on OnStar, which is more user friendly and less cumbesome than a Nav system. OnStar does so much more than a navscreen.

...........but back to the topic at hand, eh?

Seems like a bad idea.

All GM is going to do is introduce the Camry to a bunch of domestic humpers (thanks Carbiz) who otherwise would never have ventured into a Toyota dealership. The import humpers aren't going to go to the GM dealership in the first place. Or, if they do, they're already well aware of what the Camry offers.

About the only up side to this is there is the potential that GM will be able to sway potential Camry buyers on styling alone. i.e. "Ignore the reliability, fuel economy, power, resale, etc... look at the difference in the grills!" But by definition the vast majority of those people would have been domestic buyers already.

I think it is a great idea, but it needs to be handled properly, that's all. Without proper presentation, it could backfire; however, armed with back to back test drives (very effective with the Corolla/Cobalt, for example) and properly trained staff, the direct comparisons are very, very illuminating. GM presently does that with the sales staff up here and for those of us who pay attention, it is informative. We spent an hour with the Silverado 2500/F250 last week and the Equinox/CR-V.

From personal experience, a well informed salesperson can influence the buying decision of a would-be import humper, provided the tone can be kept professional. It never pays to slam the competiton, which BTW, most imports stores are doing a lot these days - and that can work for us as well.

I think it is a great idea, but it needs to be handled properly, that's all. Without proper presentation, it could backfire; however, armed with back to back test drives (very effective with the Corolla/Cobalt, for example) and properly trained staff, the direct comparisons are very, very illuminating. GM presently does that with the sales staff up here and for those of us who pay attention, it is informative. We spent an hour with the Silverado 2500/F250 last week and the Equinox/CR-V.

From personal experience, a well informed salesperson can influence the buying decision of a would-be import humper, provided the tone can be kept professional. It never pays to slam the competiton, which BTW, most imports stores are doing a lot these days - and that can work for us as well.

The problem is the execution....I'm not sure that a large portion of salespeople would be able to effectively compare and contrast....

I've gotta tell you, though, if you actually believe that a CRV vs. Equinox comparison would bode well for the Chevy....I don't think so.

I'd sooner concentrate on models with clear selling points and areas of superiority (Silverado, Tahoe/Suburban, 'vette) than some of GM's weaker links. I'm currently in an HHR and, I'm sorry to say, it's not good. The engine, the plastics, the visibility, and even the economy just reeks of old GM-think....

The problem is the execution....I'm not sure that a large portion of salespeople would be able to effectively compare and contrast....

I've gotta tell you, though, if you actually believe that a CRV vs. Equinox comparison would bode well for the Chevy....I don't think so.

I'd sooner concentrate on models with clear selling points and areas of superiority (Silverado, Tahoe/Suburban, 'vette) than some of GM's weaker links. I'm currently in an HHR and, I'm sorry to say, it's not good. The engine, the plastics, the visibility, and even the economy just reeks of old GM-think....

but... put the competition in the same show room... and it is a quick learning for the salespeople how to compare and contrast for the customer for the dealerships benifit... at our dealership we always called it

feature - explain the feature

advantage - explain the advantage over the competition

benifit - how this benifits the customer

and if a salesperson can effectively explain all 3... this camry vrs malibu... could turn into a entire chevrolet dealership network of experianced sales staff that can actually start to "sell" Chevy again... something that has been lost since the 80's

Enzl, try following the posts. The thread is about the '08 Malibu. I only raised the issue that GM is currently training sales staff up here on products and specifically mentioned vehicles that were compared last week. Let's not side track this thread onto why, oh why, Honda and Toyota are universally better than GM. You have already established that beyond a shadow of a doubt. :AH-HA_wink:

...and besides, in the city where we are paying $1.10 a litre as of today (over $4 a gallon for those of you south of the border) Tahoes and Silverados don't sell. We sell Aveos, Optras, Impalas, Uplander and Malibus in spades.

Resources in this city would be better spent on comparisons of the Camry/Malibu or current Malibu versus Elantra, for example. GM has not lost the full-sized truck market yet, but the mid-size car market is the most important battle, IMO.

Enzl, try following the posts. The thread is about the '08 Malibu. I only raised the issue that GM is currently training sales staff up here on products and specifically mentioned vehicles that were compared last week. Let's not side track this thread onto why, oh why, Honda and Toyota are universally better than GM. You have already established that beyond a shadow of a doubt. :AH-HA_wink:

Ummm...thread was about putting Camry's where New 'Bu buyers can see 'em....and someone else (ahem) thought it would be a good idea to compare the CRV and the 'Nox. I disagree vehemently. The Nox is not class leading. Period. exclamation Point.

The walk-around feature-for-feature comparison for Salespeople is great (we do it at all dealerships with trainers). But, having a customer compare and contrast with test drives and actual competitors vehicles present may not be, for what I believe are obvious reasons--including salesmen not being able to effectively counter objections, etc....

I also give full credit for Chevy's excellent product (GMT900's, vette), CarBiz....and I've never stated that H & T are universally better than anything ---(although, if you truly, honestly go model for model, it is arguable that H, T & a number of others make better product in a majority of segments) ---just that GM is falling behind many manufacturers in many segments....

the 08 'bu better be excellent, anything less and its doomed.

I'll admit the new Malibu does look better than the Camry in the photo posted in the thread. I don't think Chevy will have a problem selling the new Malibus on merit: good design, acceptable performance and gas mileage, quality, etc. Based on merit, the cars will sell. Based on perception, however, it will be a tougher sell. That's my whole thing with the cheap 1/2 nav setup. It doesn't matter if color screen nav is an expensive toy that only a few people opt for. It deals with perception. The Mazda 3, Mitsu Lancer and new xB can be had with full color screen nav but the new Malibu cannot. It's not a big deal in the scheme of things but it is a big deal with perception. And perception is GM's biggest problem (why isn't the Aura selling?).

GM does have a chance with the new Malibu, especially after seeing what the new Accord sedan will look like.

but... put the competition in the same show room... and it is a quick learning for the salespeople how to compare and contrast for the customer for the dealerships benifit... at our dealership we always called it

feature - explain the feature

advantage - explain the advantage over the competition

benifit - how this benifits the customer

and if a salesperson can effectively explain all 3... this camry vrs malibu... could turn into a entire chevrolet dealership network of experianced sales staff that can actually start to "sell" Chevy again... something that has been lost since the 80's

The problem isn't comparing the new Malibu to a Camry in the showroom.....the challenge is getting those consumers to step into the Chevy dealership showroom in the first place.

For far too many people, a GM midsize sedan simply isn't even ON the shopping list.

The problem isn't comparing the new Malibu to a Camry in the showroom.....the challenge is getting those consumers to step into the Chevy dealership showroom in the first place.

For far too many people, a GM midsize sedan simply isn't even ON the shopping list.

Devastatingly accurate, unfortunately.

I went to the NY Autoshow with friends....they actively avoided the domestic stands, like there was an outbreak of something highly contageous. Really, truly frightening if you're a GM, Ford or Chrysler fan.

I really don't believe that some people on this board understand how problematic this is going forward. It's more of an indicator of the efforts that must be undertaken immediately if the ship can be saved. Arguing about 'competitveness' is a joke....all 3 car makers need the equivalent of a lunar landing-type effort...

dont you think i know this first hand... probably better then most... spending a year on a chevy lot... ive seen very few import humpers... and even few who want a car... many people are willing to admit that toyota honda and nissan cant build a competative truck... but many fewer are willing to admit that the domestics build a better car...

the problem here is perception... that perception that wipes the smile off your face... thats what gm needs...

to me its horrible to see someone come home for the first day with their xB... yuck!

but i remember so many... even import lovers... get a hard on... with that first CTS rolled around the corner... or was sitting at the light... I think this new Malibu can do for chevy what the cts did for cadillac... and hopefully the impala will reinforce the idea...

many people want to beleive in GM and Ford... but see no reason to... this might be the foot in the door... the hole in the damn...

the dealerships are very good about getting price whores onto the lots... now... they just got to talk to them for half a minute on the showroom... about the malibu vrs camry...

Attitude is everything. Our dealership has one of the strongest Honda dealerships in the city a half block away and the #2 Toyota store a few blocks away on the other side, plus VW, Nissan and everyone else around us. We see our fair share of import humpers, but the key is the sales staff has to be EDUCATED. Too many salespeople are transients. They jump from dealer to dealer, never commiting to any make or dealership. They have no passion and no knowledge. They drop their pants on price almost right after the meet and greet so they don't even get to the test drive, which is the key to everything. Unforutunately, many old school dealers encourage this!

I have driven people in the Corolla and Cobalt back to back and find that a very successful way of selling the Cobalt. I would even stack the current Impala or Malibu against the Camry, if given the chance to show the Features Advantages Benefits and test drive both - ALL DAY LONG.

The sad truth is that most of these Camry/Accord buyers don't have a clue what they are buying, they only know what CR, MT, etc. have TOLD them to buy. So-called "enthusiasts" may not be enamored with the current Malibu/Impala (OMG - no available 5 spd manual!!!!), but in ride, features and VALUE, both those vehicles have a strong story to tell.

Of course, I am thrilled with the idea that the new Malibu will be the new segment leader, but that will only last 6 months until the new (Mazda 6/Altima/Fusion/whatever) comes out anyway.

And then we can all bitch that the Malibu is not this or that and feel good about ourselves again.

Attitude is everything. Our dealership has one of the strongest Honda dealerships in the city a half block away and the #2 Toyota store a few blocks away on the other side, plus VW, Nissan and everyone else around us. We see our fair share of import humpers, but the key is the sales staff has to be EDUCATED. Too many salespeople are transients. They jump from dealer to dealer, never commiting to any make or dealership. They have no passion and no knowledge. They drop their pants on price almost right after the meet and greet so they don't even get to the test drive, which is the key to everything. Unforutunately, many old school dealers encourage this!

I have driven people in the Corolla and Cobalt back to back and find that a very successful way of selling the Cobalt. I would even stack the current Impala or Malibu against the Camry, if given the chance to show the Features Advantages Benefits and test drive both - ALL DAY LONG.

The sad truth is that most of these Camry/Accord buyers don't have a clue what they are buying, they only know what CR, MT, etc. have TOLD them to buy. So-called "enthusiasts" may not be enamored with the current Malibu/Impala (OMG - no available 5 spd manual!!!!), but in ride, features and VALUE, both those vehicles have a strong story to tell.

Of course, I am thrilled with the idea that the new Malibu will be the new segment leader, but that will only last 6 months until the new (Mazda 6/Altima/Fusion/whatever) comes out anyway.

And then we can all bitch that the Malibu is not this or that and feel good about ourselves again.

agreed...

i always heard the statement... the best way to sell a silverado is to put it next to a f150... i guess this philosophy is against the car leader... hopefully this will be strong enough... i know what you mean about sales persons... i wish gm would make its GM certified program more extensive and require that the employees be certified prior to sales of gm vehicles... or something to improve the job secruity of these sales people... so they wont want to leave...

As far as the marketing blitz goes, this should be Chevrolet's Tundra. Go on the offensive. "RETHINKING THE FAMILY SEDAN." Drag up something like brake size and make a big deal about it. Make the Malibu's presence heard.

This idea makes as much sense as Burger King putting Big Macs on display. It's stupid and naive. In effect, the dealers would be saying "Here is the benchmark that we've worked so hard to reach. Like it?"

Most people go for the benchmark regardless of how fancy the copycats are, simply because it's the benchmark. Would Toyota stick a Chevy Silverado in a dealership? No way. And the reason is not that the Chevy is so much better.

GM, please don't advertise Camrys.

Edited by PeterPuck

I understand the dangers of advertising for the competition, but Toyota in particular has been relentless and unerring in their marketing approach. I give them credit for that. Desperate times call for desperate measures. Toyota's juggernaut must be stopped, and that means forgetting about the gentleman's agreement that Ford and GM promoted for decades.

People who would have been total "shoe-ins" five years ago are shopping Toyota and Korean makes. GM has to shake things up to get back on top again. If they are so confident in the '08 Malibu, then even a clod salesperson should be able to do a fair comparison. Currently, it would take a very experienced salesperson to comare the Malibu or Impala against the Camry; however, if the new Malibu is all that maybe GM knows something.....just maybe.

I understand the dangers of advertising for the competition, but Toyota in particular has been relentless and unerring in their marketing approach. I give them credit for that. Desperate times call for desperate measures. Toyota's juggernaut must be stopped, and that means forgetting about the gentleman's agreement that Ford and GM promoted for decades.

People who would have been total "shoe-ins" five years ago are shopping Toyota and Korean makes. GM has to shake things up to get back on top again. If they are so confident in the '08 Malibu, then even a clod salesperson should be able to do a fair comparison. Currently, it would take a very experienced salesperson to comare the Malibu or Impala against the Camry; however, if the new Malibu is all that maybe GM knows something.....just maybe.

I'm not sure whether the idea is a good one or not.

In the hands of experienced salespeople, I think its a positive....but it also might add one more stop to a shopper's list of 'must see's'.

I would almost rather see an aggressive allowance for conquest trades...perhaps a dealer spiff of an extra grand or two if a Camry, Accord or Altima were coming in on trade?

I would also be hesitant to put a competitor's product in my showroom when it's already difficult to decide which Chevy products should be excluded from the showroom in the first place.

This just needs to be done right and it could be a very wise move. I don't think having confidence in an equally for sure or better product is a real problem. Let the car sell on merits and styling alone, I think will all be very suprised on good sales will be seriously. Just wait and see...

This idea makes as much sense as Burger King putting Big Macs on display. It's stupid and naive. In effect, the dealers would be saying "Here is the benchmark that we've worked so hard to reach. Like it?"

Most people go for the benchmark regardless of how fancy the copycats are, simply because it's the benchmark. Would Toyota stick a Chevy Silverado in a dealership? No way. And the reason is not that the Chevy is so much better.

GM, please don't advertise Camrys.

apparently Chevy has done this before...

I was talking with my dad... Chevy was building the Cavalier also selling the prism... and some chevy dealers were putting the Corolla on the showroom... now to me this sounds horribly stupid seeing that the corolla and prism were almost identical... but i guess they were trying to sell the cavalier better by showing off the corolla... i dont know that it worked very well...

I do this now with the Corolla and Cobalt, but then since we own a Toyota store it is easy for me to do (although the GSM over at the Toyota store is less than thrilled about it). The ride/handling story between the Cobalt/Corolla is night and day. The value story clinches the deal.

Although, one of the guys just "lost" a deal today: the customer compared the Uplander to the Corolla and said he would take the Uplander if we could match Toyota's price. Funny thing is, the Uplander is almost the same price (in our market.) But this is the kind of insanity that we are dealing with regarding the import humpers.

I do this now with the Corolla and Cobalt, but then since we own a Toyota store it is easy for me to do (although the GSM over at the Toyota store is less than thrilled about it). The ride/handling story between the Cobalt/Corolla is night and day. The value story clinches the deal.

Although, one of the guys just "lost" a deal today: the customer compared the Uplander to the Corolla and said he would take the Uplander if we could match Toyota's price. Funny thing is, the Uplander is almost the same price (in our market.) But this is the kind of insanity that we are dealing with regarding the import humpers.

lol i hate customers that want to deal with apples and oranges...

here in so cal... uplanders are like... 22-30k i think... corollas are like 14-23?k so maybe but the value isnt going to be there a top of the line corolla vrs a bottom uplander... ohh well

I rode in a buddies new 2006 Cobalt SS (left-over 06) silver, 5spd, coupe non supercharged so the 2.4. I have ridden in a 2006 Corolla S as well, and I think the Cobalt was worlds ahead of the Toyota is refinement and especially performance. I suggested he get a Cobalt as he was looking a new Civic LX or EX coupe and said for the same price and less beecause it was an 06 in this case you can have one of these. The wise man listen and just loves his new ride. I was very impressed with it myself. I think I want on, but make mine a G5 GT please...