Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Drew Dowdell

Chevy grows some....

79 posts in this topic

Posted Image

Link to Autoblog

Perhaps Chevrolet should see if Ford is done with the "Bold Moves" slogan yet, because some Chevy dealers have grown a pair and are trying a radical move. They're bringing enemy No. 1 right into their showrooms.

Chevrolet is confident enough in its forthcoming Malibu redesign, that they're willing to have customers paw all over their mid-size offering and Toyota's Camry side by side. Instead of just telling potential Malibu customers that Camry ain't all that, Chevy's car marketing director, Cheryl Catton, suggests dealers put one of the best-selling Toyotas right there next to Malibus. Production of the new Malibus begins in October, and GM's ad push for the car begins in January. Look for the Malibu/Camry steel cage death match to begin about then.

But wouldn't it be a small sales boost to put a Camry in every Chevy dealership? Catton thought of that, and recommends the Toyotas be rented.

Also a nice way to show how many Camrys are haunting the rental lots.

That's a tough call because one is assuming the sales staff are trained enough and on the ball enough to battle point by point arguments. Import humpers are pretty entrenched. They will justify almost anything, including $1,300 trips to the dealer. It's tantamount to brainwashing, really.

I have hand outs and pamphlets, pointing out the similarities and differences with the Malibu/Impala and the Camry/Accord. It works sometimes, but in most cases the dealer is just preaching to the choir. I had a customer on Saturday who has a '94 Century and a '00 Safari (370,000 km). He started the conversation by stating categoricaly that he was comparing the Cobalt with the Versa. Why? Because the Honda is "better." Why is that, I pressed. "Better built." After more prying, he admits the Safari has been great, no problems - he loves it. Why would Honda even be on the radar, then?

I doubt many dealers will embrace this, but I am all for it. (Not that anyone listens to me!) :rolleyes:

He started the conversation by stating categoricaly that he was comparing the Cobalt with the Versa. Why? Because the Honda is "better." Why is that, I pressed. "Better built." After more prying, he admits the Safari has been great, no problems - he loves it. Why would Honda even be on the radar, then?

When did the Versa stop being a Nissan?

When did the Versa stop being a Nissan?

Thats how effective the Honda brainwashing is.

Just putting some used Camry's in front of the used car lot would send a good signal too.

Interesting move. I hope it pans out 'cause I've always liked Chevy ever since I learned to drive in an '88 C/K Silverado.

One problem I foresee though, as far as comparing options across the board: What happens when the car shoppers ask how much the DVD navigation system costs in the Malibu?

Just putting some used Camry's in front of the used car lot would send a good signal too.

:scratchchin::thumbsup::lol:

That's a tough call because one is assuming the sales staff are trained enough and on the ball enough to battle point by point arguments. Import humpers are pretty entrenched. They will justify almost anything, including $1,300 trips to the dealer. It's tantamount to brainwashing, really.

I have hand outs and pamphlets, pointing out the similarities and differences with the Malibu/Impala and the Camry/Accord. It works sometimes, but in most cases the dealer is just preaching to the choir. I had a customer on Saturday who has a '94 Century and a '00 Safari (370,000 km). He started the conversation by stating categoricaly that he was comparing the Cobalt with the Versa. Why? Because the Honda is "better." Why is that, I pressed. "Better built." After more prying, he admits the Safari has been great, no problems - he loves it. Why would Honda even be on the radar, then?

I doubt many dealers will embrace this, but I am all for it. (Not that anyone listens to me!) :rolleyes:

:lol: Well that's understandable with the current Malibu and Impala. But in this case it will work, because the new 'bu is legitimately a good car.

This is going cut-throat good job Chevy reclaim your market. With "Our Car!"

Interesting move. I hope it pans out 'cause I've always liked Chevy ever since I learned to drive in an '88 C/K Silverado.

One problem I foresee though, as far as comparing options across the board: What happens when the car shoppers ask how much the DVD navigation system costs in the Malibu?

:scratchchin::thumbsup::lol:

on star. also ask the camlee folks if they can get factory remote start in their camlee. Or if their cahmrhee has 100,000 mile powertrain coverage. Or if they profits on the cahmrhee subsidize foreign countries and trade deficit.

the chevy dealers should make sure to get white camlees because then the nice green "E" sticker on the trunk lid will really stand out nicely.

they should also give out a nice timex alarm clock as a test drive momento to remind them of how nice the camlee is inside.

another good test would be a sheetmetal test. lean up against the rear quarter on both cars and see which one barely budges and which one flexes like a pop can.

maybe for proper effect, they can prop up an aging boomer in the driver's seat of the CMLee. And ask him to be reading a copy of consumer reports while he is driving and sipping on some metamucil.

Edited by regfootball

Posted Image

Well, I'm already sold after seeing that. IMO, the Malibu readily demolishes the Camry in terms of exterior styling, and has a more attractive, inviting passenger cabin.

The ad campaign is just what Chevy needs...demonstrating this level of confidence in a vehicle can only help.

on star. also ask the camlee folks if they can get factory remote start in their camlee. Or if their cahmrhee has 100,000 mile powertrain coverage. Or if they profits on the cahmrhee subsidize foreign countries and trade deficit.

the chevy dealers should make sure to get white camlees because then the nice green "E" sticker on the trunk lid will really stand out nicely.

they should also give out a nice timex alarm clock as a test drive momento to remind them of how nice the camlee is inside.

another good test would be a sheetmetal test. lean up against the rear quarter on both cars and see which one barely budges and which one flexes like a pop can.

maybe for proper effect, they can prop up an aging boomer in the driver's seat of the CMLee. And ask him to be reading a copy of consumer reports while he is driving and sipping on some metamucil.

Reg, I got a huge kick outta your post. That is too funny. True as always.

That's a very interesting shot up top: the camlee's face is so arbitrary and unsubstantial- no chrome, no trim, squinty headlights... it just looks MUCH cheaper, like a model a whole segment below the Malibu.

That's a very interesting shot up top: the camlee's face is so arbitrary and unsubstantial- no chrome, no trim, squinty headlights... it just looks MUCH cheaper, like a model a whole segment below the Malibu.

FWIW, that's the SE "sport" model, which replaces chrome trim with bodycolor stuff. One might argue that the Camry's projector headlights make the Malibu's reflectors look two-dimensional and cheap by comparison.

:pbjtime: I am all for this add program. :D

Just one MAJOR ISSUE to address. EDUCATION, EDUCATION, EDUCATION!!! The worst thing is visiting a dealership and the sales person trys the used Ford auto approach of BSing their way to a sale. Today more and more people especially woman do their research and it is really tacky when you go onto the lot and the sales person is an ignorant moron.

Perfect example, I visited my local GMC lot and looked at the new Denali 07 version and the sales person is talking about how great the 6.0 liter v8 is and the adaptive head lights, etc. He had no actual real answer for the new 07 Denali, yet appears he had been reading on other vehicles. The Kirkland Washington GMC, Buick and Pontiac dealership is owned by the moron group. The same owner also purchased the Kirkland Ford, Toyota, Chrysler and Jeep dealerships. Some big auto group out of the midwest. Their sales people suck.

Yet even my trip to the local Chevy dealer did not fair much better. Kirkland Cheverolet, Family owned for ever. Have bought 4 vehicles there and yet still even while they do a better job than most, they still have some pretty stupid morons that try to sell BS rather than doing a little reading and sell a superior auto.

Loved the sales persons respons to what is the biggest engine I could get in the Avalanche. 6.2 V8 with 6 spd tranny. Auto or manual available. :rolleyes:

We'll i am all for competition and a side by side comparison will show that the Cumry is just not that hot. Rock on, heart beat of America!

An interesting idea since Toyota won these two recent comparos...

Posted Image

Posted Image

WTF is with the mispelling of the Camry name? Its as if you guys are trying to put a Chinese ESL accent on the pronounciation of the car.

But how many Toyota buyers will go to a Chevy dealership to compare? How many import buyers will do this? Will it be mostly Chevy shoppers doing the comparing or will they actually succeed in getting others to compare em? I think a "better" ad group would do wonders for Malibu. More so than this.

Also a nice way to show how many Camrys are haunting the rental lots.

CAREFUL!!! You'll be swamped by the cheerleaders!!!!

I think this is an EXCELLENT move! Hopefully GM will carry this 'head 2 head' gusto over into the Silverado and other new products as well.

Be our guest; sample a Camry and see how much BETTER our Malibu is!

LMFAO!!!

Seriously! I think some of that stuff would be excellent!

I agree that the sales people HAVE to be educated enough to INFORM the consumer as to why the 'Bu is better.

But how many Toyota buyers will go to a Chevy dealership to compare? How many import buyers will do this? Will it be mostly Chevy shoppers doing the comparing or will they actually succeed in getting others to compare em? I think a "better" ad group would do wonders for Malibu. More so than this.

If the car gets good reviews, is MARKETED right and gets good 'word of mouth' then I'd say it is highly likely that a good amount of YOUNGER Toyota buyers will cross shop. But, it'll take a while for EVERYONE to fairly shop (If ever.)

on star. also ask the camlee folks if they can get factory remote start in their camlee.

Some folks like to actually see the map sometimes instead of just relying on someone to tell them where to go. I know I do, especially if I just want to look around. And yes, remote start is available for the Camry.

Some folks like to actually see the map sometimes instead of just relying on someone to tell them where to go. I know I do, especially if I just want to look around. And yes, remote start is available for the Camry.

So what's the problem with having someone confirm for you that you're going in the right direction?

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Who's Online (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

• Who's Chatting

There are no users currently in the chat room