Chevy grows some....

Posted Image

Link to Autoblog

Perhaps Chevrolet should see if Ford is done with the "Bold Moves" slogan yet, because some Chevy dealers have grown a pair and are trying a radical move. They're bringing enemy No. 1 right into their showrooms.

Chevrolet is confident enough in its forthcoming Malibu redesign, that they're willing to have customers paw all over their mid-size offering and Toyota's Camry side by side. Instead of just telling potential Malibu customers that Camry ain't all that, Chevy's car marketing director, Cheryl Catton, suggests dealers put one of the best-selling Toyotas right there next to Malibus. Production of the new Malibus begins in October, and GM's ad push for the car begins in January. Look for the Malibu/Camry steel cage death match to begin about then.

But wouldn't it be a small sales boost to put a Camry in every Chevy dealership? Catton thought of that, and recommends the Toyotas be rented.

That's a tough call because one is assuming the sales staff are trained enough and on the ball enough to battle point by point arguments. Import humpers are pretty entrenched. They will justify almost anything, including $1,300 trips to the dealer. It's tantamount to brainwashing, really.

I have hand outs and pamphlets, pointing out the similarities and differences with the Malibu/Impala and the Camry/Accord. It works sometimes, but in most cases the dealer is just preaching to the choir. I had a customer on Saturday who has a '94 Century and a '00 Safari (370,000 km). He started the conversation by stating categoricaly that he was comparing the Cobalt with the Versa. Why? Because the Honda is "better." Why is that, I pressed. "Better built." After more prying, he admits the Safari has been great, no problems - he loves it. Why would Honda even be on the radar, then?

I doubt many dealers will embrace this, but I am all for it. (Not that anyone listens to me!) :rolleyes:

He started the conversation by stating categoricaly that he was comparing the Cobalt with the Versa. Why? Because the Honda is "better." Why is that, I pressed. "Better built." After more prying, he admits the Safari has been great, no problems - he loves it. Why would Honda even be on the radar, then?

When did the Versa stop being a Nissan?

Interesting move. I hope it pans out 'cause I've always liked Chevy ever since I learned to drive in an '88 C/K Silverado.

One problem I foresee though, as far as comparing options across the board: What happens when the car shoppers ask how much the DVD navigation system costs in the Malibu?

Just putting some used Camry's in front of the used car lot would send a good signal too.

:scratchchin::thumbsup::lol:

That's a tough call because one is assuming the sales staff are trained enough and on the ball enough to battle point by point arguments. Import humpers are pretty entrenched. They will justify almost anything, including $1,300 trips to the dealer. It's tantamount to brainwashing, really.

I have hand outs and pamphlets, pointing out the similarities and differences with the Malibu/Impala and the Camry/Accord. It works sometimes, but in most cases the dealer is just preaching to the choir. I had a customer on Saturday who has a '94 Century and a '00 Safari (370,000 km). He started the conversation by stating categoricaly that he was comparing the Cobalt with the Versa. Why? Because the Honda is "better." Why is that, I pressed. "Better built." After more prying, he admits the Safari has been great, no problems - he loves it. Why would Honda even be on the radar, then?

I doubt many dealers will embrace this, but I am all for it. (Not that anyone listens to me!) :rolleyes:

:lol: Well that's understandable with the current Malibu and Impala. But in this case it will work, because the new 'bu is legitimately a good car.

Interesting move. I hope it pans out 'cause I've always liked Chevy ever since I learned to drive in an '88 C/K Silverado.

One problem I foresee though, as far as comparing options across the board: What happens when the car shoppers ask how much the DVD navigation system costs in the Malibu?

:scratchchin::thumbsup::lol:

on star. also ask the camlee folks if they can get factory remote start in their camlee. Or if their cahmrhee has 100,000 mile powertrain coverage. Or if they profits on the cahmrhee subsidize foreign countries and trade deficit.

the chevy dealers should make sure to get white camlees because then the nice green "E" sticker on the trunk lid will really stand out nicely.

they should also give out a nice timex alarm clock as a test drive momento to remind them of how nice the camlee is inside.

another good test would be a sheetmetal test. lean up against the rear quarter on both cars and see which one barely budges and which one flexes like a pop can.

maybe for proper effect, they can prop up an aging boomer in the driver's seat of the CMLee. And ask him to be reading a copy of consumer reports while he is driving and sipping on some metamucil.

Edited by regfootball

Posted Image

Well, I'm already sold after seeing that. IMO, the Malibu readily demolishes the Camry in terms of exterior styling, and has a more attractive, inviting passenger cabin.

The ad campaign is just what Chevy needs...demonstrating this level of confidence in a vehicle can only help.

on star. also ask the camlee folks if they can get factory remote start in their camlee. Or if their cahmrhee has 100,000 mile powertrain coverage. Or if they profits on the cahmrhee subsidize foreign countries and trade deficit.

the chevy dealers should make sure to get white camlees because then the nice green "E" sticker on the trunk lid will really stand out nicely.

they should also give out a nice timex alarm clock as a test drive momento to remind them of how nice the camlee is inside.

another good test would be a sheetmetal test. lean up against the rear quarter on both cars and see which one barely budges and which one flexes like a pop can.

maybe for proper effect, they can prop up an aging boomer in the driver's seat of the CMLee. And ask him to be reading a copy of consumer reports while he is driving and sipping on some metamucil.

Reg, I got a huge kick outta your post. That is too funny. True as always.

That's a very interesting shot up top: the camlee's face is so arbitrary and unsubstantial- no chrome, no trim, squinty headlights... it just looks MUCH cheaper, like a model a whole segment below the Malibu.

FWIW, that's the SE "sport" model, which replaces chrome trim with bodycolor stuff. One might argue that the Camry's projector headlights make the Malibu's reflectors look two-dimensional and cheap by comparison.

:pbjtime: I am all for this add program. :D

Just one MAJOR ISSUE to address. EDUCATION, EDUCATION, EDUCATION!!! The worst thing is visiting a dealership and the sales person trys the used Ford auto approach of BSing their way to a sale. Today more and more people especially woman do their research and it is really tacky when you go onto the lot and the sales person is an ignorant moron.

Perfect example, I visited my local GMC lot and looked at the new Denali 07 version and the sales person is talking about how great the 6.0 liter v8 is and the adaptive head lights, etc. He had no actual real answer for the new 07 Denali, yet appears he had been reading on other vehicles. The Kirkland Washington GMC, Buick and Pontiac dealership is owned by the moron group. The same owner also purchased the Kirkland Ford, Toyota, Chrysler and Jeep dealerships. Some big auto group out of the midwest. Their sales people suck.

Yet even my trip to the local Chevy dealer did not fair much better. Kirkland Cheverolet, Family owned for ever. Have bought 4 vehicles there and yet still even while they do a better job than most, they still have some pretty stupid morons that try to sell BS rather than doing a little reading and sell a superior auto.

Loved the sales persons respons to what is the biggest engine I could get in the Avalanche. 6.2 V8 with 6 spd tranny. Auto or manual available. :rolleyes:

We'll i am all for competition and a side by side comparison will show that the Cumry is just not that hot. Rock on, heart beat of America!

But how many Toyota buyers will go to a Chevy dealership to compare? How many import buyers will do this? Will it be mostly Chevy shoppers doing the comparing or will they actually succeed in getting others to compare em? I think a "better" ad group would do wonders for Malibu. More so than this.

Also a nice way to show how many Camrys are haunting the rental lots.

CAREFUL!!! You'll be swamped by the cheerleaders!!!!

I think this is an EXCELLENT move! Hopefully GM will carry this 'head 2 head' gusto over into the Silverado and other new products as well.

Be our guest; sample a Camry and see how much BETTER our Malibu is!

LMFAO!!!

Seriously! I think some of that stuff would be excellent!

I agree that the sales people HAVE to be educated enough to INFORM the consumer as to why the 'Bu is better.

But how many Toyota buyers will go to a Chevy dealership to compare? How many import buyers will do this? Will it be mostly Chevy shoppers doing the comparing or will they actually succeed in getting others to compare em? I think a "better" ad group would do wonders for Malibu. More so than this.

If the car gets good reviews, is MARKETED right and gets good 'word of mouth' then I'd say it is highly likely that a good amount of YOUNGER Toyota buyers will cross shop. But, it'll take a while for EVERYONE to fairly shop (If ever.)

on star. also ask the camlee folks if they can get factory remote start in their camlee.

Some folks like to actually see the map sometimes instead of just relying on someone to tell them where to go. I know I do, especially if I just want to look around. And yes, remote start is available for the Camry.

Some folks like to actually see the map sometimes instead of just relying on someone to tell them where to go. I know I do, especially if I just want to look around. And yes, remote start is available for the Camry.

So what's the problem with having someone confirm for you that you're going in the right direction?

Still the Camri doesn't have well uhh Onstar.

OnStar itself is quite good. OnStar navigation is where I'm not sold.

So what's the problem with having someone confirm for you that you're going in the right direction?

Nothing in itself, but... you mean to tell me that other companies' nav systems don't do that? Even my cell phone does that.

I don't need a screen to show me. :rotflmao: People keep getting lazier...

It ain't necessarily the screen to show me where I'm going. It's the map so that I can see what else is around. I'm a huge map reader; always have been.

Let's just say it's a matter of preference.

*raises eyebrow*

Heh ... this could get quite interesting once that new Chevy comes out.....

Definitely a bold move ... we can only hope it works :).

Cort:33swm."Mr Monte Carlo.Mr Road Trip".pig valve.pacemaker

PICS:lego.HO.model.MCinfo.RT.CHD = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort

"Relight the flame when it's cold"...Godsmack...'Serenity'

Any weakness can be an advantage.

Chevy: "We don't offer Navagation Systems since only smart people buy Chevys".

Or "Buy Chevy and don't let a Toyota tell you where to go".

I must be the only one but I just don't get Nav systems.

I can be in Charlotte, LA, Detroit, Washington and NYC and not have a map and never get lost. Our highways are not all that trickey.

I did get lost in WV once but still came out where I was going.

I even made Lake Tahoe with narey a wrong turn.

Reading signs and having a clue before you leave home go a long way.

I rank the nav right up with the red light that comes on and tells you your going to rear end something in the new Volvo. For Gods sakes hang up and drive. Do you need a red light telling you of impending doom infront of you? If your that stupid you should not be driving.

Now I can understand the blind spot light indicator in the side mirror. That makes sense.

As for nav systems use the space to save my MP's in. A 5000 song library would do me more good .

Anyway if you have a good car promote the hell out of it and compare it to the compitition if it is better. It will prove your not hiding anything.

Call Toyota out and prove your worth! The uninformed public will take not if promoted well.

Edited by hyperv6

:pbjtime: I am all for this add program. :D

Just one MAJOR ISSUE to address. EDUCATION, EDUCATION, EDUCATION!!! The worst thing is visiting a dealership and the sales person trys the used Ford auto approach of BSing their way to a sale. Today more and more people especially woman do their research and it is really tacky when you go onto the lot and the sales person is an ignorant moron.

Perfect example, I visited my local GMC lot and looked at the new Denali 07 version and the sales person is talking about how great the 6.0 liter v8 is and the adaptive head lights, etc. He had no actual real answer for the new 07 Denali, yet appears he had been reading on other vehicles. The Kirkland Washington GMC, Buick and Pontiac dealership is owned by the moron group. The same owner also purchased the Kirkland Ford, Toyota, Chrysler and Jeep dealerships. Some big auto group out of the midwest. Their sales people suck.

Yet even my trip to the local Chevy dealer did not fair much better. Kirkland Cheverolet, Family owned for ever. Have bought 4 vehicles there and yet still even while they do a better job than most, they still have some pretty stupid morons that try to sell BS rather than doing a little reading and sell a superior auto.

Loved the sales persons respons to what is the biggest engine I could get in the Avalanche. 6.2 V8 with 6 spd tranny. Auto or manual available. :rolleyes:

We'll i am all for competition and a side by side comparison will show that the Cumry is just not that hot. Rock on, heart beat of America!

women control the car purchases these days. in most cases.

how do you suppose the camry and accord got so popular in the first place? then, SUV's.

women generally know squat about technology and features and engineering in cars until its time to buy, then they go online and read all the drivel the Leinarts of the world write, and then all of a sudden they are 'experts' in the showroom with their internet printouts and CR magazines.

"what did REDBOOK or COSMO say about the Camry?"

that's why so many cars look and feel soft and cute today. the woman decides probably 70% of the joint purchase. if the man says no, he gets no.

How else do you explain market phenomenons like the Lexus RX or ES? Or the Highlander.

i had a buddy recently who was actually happy with their odyssey. he loved it. she was having a mid life mom crisis you know, can't be caught in the minivan anymore, cramp their style. She insisted on a Jeep or Pilot and Pilot won. My buddy is still bitching because of the tremendous utility of the Odyssey. But now she feels sexy again I suppose because she's in an 'SUV'.

Women car buyers are mostly about image, they just simply use the CR and reliability and internet info to back up whatever it is they want at a given time as far as cars go. You can find all you need to back up whatever decision you want to make yourself believe.

is the remote start on the camry FACTORY INSTALLED? or is it a dealer accessory

Edited by regfootball

The Nav system is an expensive, unecessary toy. What do 809% of the people do with their vehicles? Go to work. More and more people FLY for their vacations, then rent a car there. Everybody needs to take their enthusiast cap off and think like a Malibu/Camry buyer. Even if the Nav system was available, darn few people would take it. The only people who are drooling over Nav systems are business people who drive a lot or gadget freaks. Perhaps when the cost of the Nav systems come down a lot more, they will become standard, but not now and not in a sub $20k vehicle. I wonder how many Nav systems Honda is selling in the Civic......

The current Malibu/Impala are doing quite well. There has been some decent press recently. Even the National Post recently called the current Malibu the best kept used car secret, mentioning reliability, fuel mileage and price as major factors. Not bad. As both the Accord and Camry ascend into Buick territory for price, a lot of people will revisit the Chevy line up. The launch of the new Malibu has to be FLAWLESS.

As to the Joys of Messing with the Salesguy, although I am amused at the spirit of some of you guys who haunt dealer lots and play 64 Questions with the hapless guy who has the misfortune of approaching you, remember that he/she is probably new, had little or no training (why bother with training when most dealer principle's think their 8 year old son or daughter could do a better job?) and maybe YOU are giving off a strong vibe that you are just farting around.

Also, remember that you only have to remember what is important to you (horsepower, torque numbers, how many Hondas it can crush), but the salesguy has to cover 30+ models AND all the rates/programs that GM/GMAC and the banks change on us DAILY. Oh, yeah, and just for fun, there is the mid-season model changes, plus having to train the Manager of the Month.

But most importantly, GM needs to find a key message with the Malibu and stick to it. Don't change it every other month, expecting the sales people, let alone the public, to play along with them.

All I have to say is that the new Malibu had better come to the table with all of it's cylinders firing if it hopes to compete with the mighty Camry. By that I mean the Malibu will need things like overhead assist grips across the board, rear seat folding armrest with cupholders, fold flat passenger seat like the current Malibu, std telescoping steering column, std trip computer like the current car, optional NAV and Bluetooth which I see everybody using nowadays, more back seat legroom and a bigger trunk than the Camry, comparable engine performance and NVH characteristics, optional bodyside moldings like the Camry and better interior fit and finish, unlike the Camry. The elimination of the Maxx will cost some sales and the Impala, which sells quite well these days, will surely be a competitor. The exterior of the Malibu and Camry are both equally bland and generic but the Chevy has the better looking front end appearance and more attractive interior IMO. I'm also wondering how the mileage will compare on the two as the current Camry's 3.5 V6 gets 22/31 compared to the Auras 3.6 at 20/28!

Edited by ponchoman49

Compared to the Malibu, the Camry pictured here looks like an old man missing his dentures.

(edit: BAH! Flybrian beat me to it. By several hours. I gotta start reading the whole thread more often.)

Edited by aaaantoine

This is a good point. I love the idea of just going for it and putting your product out there to either succeed or fail vs. just passively heading for middle ground, but there may be some executional issues here.

While an excellent suggestion....It baffles me that a New Car dealership wouldn't have a Camry sitting around in the used car department.

Pick it up at auction or save a trade, I just don't see the suggestion as genius at work, just common sense.

The Malibu/Impala overlap should be of utmost concern...if the new Impy isn't out within a year or so of the new 'bu, you will have a situation which results in cannabilization of sales in the showroom. I'm not sure there's anything GM can do about that, as the cadence of introductions (especially with the 'pause' for Zeta) will leave something to be desired.

I also believe that if the new 'bu is not superior to the Camry then all hope for converting import intenders will be lost in this segment. I haven't driven or sat in the new 'bu, so I'm hopeful GM will get it right. 'Just as good' won't cut it in this category, as the new Accord will also be available.

Should be an interesting fight, however.

Honda really stubbed it's foot with the 08 Accord redesign. Can you say UGLY. If Accord loses even 20,000 units and Camry still loses 10,000 units after picking up those accord buyers...combined......and the Altima loses some.....

If Chevy even makes an initial net gain of 20-30,000 units for starters, that's not bad.

The Accord is the stinker here. That thing is a dog. that could really shift the balance of power in the whole segment.

WAIT. look how ugly the CRV is and it's killing the cute ute segment.

when i was at the dealership the last couple days i noticed a couple of umm... what are they called... stand alone poster things... and they were comparing what chevrolet was offering and exclusively had toyota at the top and ford honda and others down on the bottom... but almost directly compared the chevy to toyota...

and one of these posters was sitting on each table...

i think it was pointing out onstar mostly

but also i heard a commercial on the radio that was like... Chevy has like twice as many vehicles score 5 stars on frontal crashes over toyota...

the radio was singing to me...

Edited by Newbiewar

I hope the new Accord sells like nuts despite be ugly unlike the last few generations. The Camry is ugly too, and now I have to decide what one is uglier... I want to say Accord but I have always had a passionate hatered for Camry. Hmmm at least I like the new Malibu.

My local dealer whom I like but don't do buisness with because I have a favorite out of town had a 2007 Toyota Camry SE in Red with a V6 and a huge sign on it, special priced to move. I wondered if they wised up and got a GMT-900 or an Impala... I thought it was funny, it was slightly used and sold with-in days to a teacher at my sons highschool. Sucker. :lol:

The Nav system is an expensive, unecessary toy.

Hmmmm.....a hell of a lot of consumers are purchasing cars and SUVs with that "expensive, unecessary toy."

Doesn't really matter what you (or I) think......but if the market is demanding it, GM better offer it....or get left in the dust. I think that's the message that is trying to be sent.

Hmmmm.....a hell of a lot of consumers are purchasing cars and SUVs with that "expensive, unecessary toy."

Doesn't really matter what you (or I) think......but if the market is demanding it, GM better offer it....or get left in the dust. I think that's the message that is trying to be sent.

Your comment begs the question: Just how many people care about a Nav system?

Is the market really demanding it?

Would it change a purchase decision?

How does the aftermarket availability affect the value of a factory Nav?

I'd actually like to know, even though Nav systems mean nothing to me.

Is there a real need for factory Nav, or is it just the gadget-pansies that want them?

What needs to happen is for GM to develop a good drop in set of head units, 1 nav, 1 standard, that can be put in the cars interchangeably.

that would be nice, but i think brands would need seperation styling and interface wise, but for non nav units i wish they'd take the options control out of them so aftermarket units would not take options away or needing to relocate the H/U.