Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

Predicting the future of automobiles

What type of vehicle will you be driving?  

19 members have voted

1. 1. What kind of "future" car will you be buying in 10 yrs?

• Business as usual - a big honkin' car with gas guzzling V8s will still be around
    • Still an internal combustion engine, though more economical
    • Hybrid - some fusion of gas + electric
    • Hydrogen / other alternatives
    • Electric
    • Other - please explain

Yeah, yeah, I know...I keep saying I will get a car. I will as soon as I relocate since I have now finished this evening program. And it will be as conventional an automobile as my GM Card money and the difference can buy.

However, the car after that will be different. I will try to hang on to my next purchase for a while.

But I was thinking: what will dealership lots be filled with in 10 yrs? What do you think?

I put down hybrid because it's a technology that will undoubtedly get better. The others are a little too avant-garde though they sure are "green" (did I say that...I didn't eat any granola today). I don't think the infrastructure to support the other choices will be there just yet.

Your vote and thoughts.....

If I had the spare 100k I would by a Tesla today. I love electric cars because i understand them 100%. While ICE's still have some sort of mystery that i can't comprehend.

Truthfully, I'll probably be getting a 2500 or 3500 Chevy with the Duramax/Allison combo, since my "normal" transportation will be a motorcycle. Amy will be getting some form of van or small-mid sized SUV (she can't exactly decide on what she wants), so I'm more than sure that there will still be a plenty of gas guzzling vehicles when we reach new vehicle purchase time again.

Yeah, yeah, I know...I keep saying I will get a car. I will as soon as I relocate since I have now finished this evening program. And it will be as conventional an automobile as my GM Card money and the difference can buy.

However, the car after that will be different. I will try to hang on to my next purchase for a while.

But I was thinking: what will dealership lots be filled with in 10 yrs? What do you think?

I put down hybrid because it's a technology that will undoubtedly get better. The others are a little too avant-garde though they sure are "green" (did I say that...I didn't eat any granola today). I don't think the infrastructure to support the other choices will be there just yet.

Your vote and thoughts.....

Hmmmm, I saw your picture today, you should not put things off to much, there is snow on your roof! :P

Other, I don't want a big honkin' car, but I'll take the V8. Something like a... Corvette or new GTO, and for a second car, my economy car, would be a RWD G6 if one ever gets built. If gas does get crazy expensive to where I can't afford to have a V8 or V6, I would get a car like a diesel Astra. I would also consider hydrogen, but still think it has a long way to go and some obstacles to overcome before it's feasible.

I voted Business as usual - a big honkin' car with gas guzzling V8s will still be around - but replace the word "car" with "truck". It seems likely that a Lambda vehicle will replace the Envoy in 2008 (family vehicle) and the Sierra again will be put on the back burner. I think I'm going to buy the Lambda (most likely the Acadia, but who knows?) and as soon as it's paid off get the Sierra I've always wanted (do you think a regular cab, sportside model will be offered in 6-10 years?). Of course the way gas prices are, who knows if I'll ever get a full-size pickup???

I voted Hybrid, because do believe that in ten years most powertrains will at least have mild hybrid functionality in the form of incremental enhancements (like that advanced alternator that GM had once hyped that can shut off the engine at stoplights).

The whopping gas prices are making an impact on the automotive R&D landscape, so we should expect any and all measures to minimize gas consumption.

I expect not only this, but also increased distribution of biofuels and hydrogen. How much more commonplace these fuels become will depend on the government's ability to finally say "f@#k you" to the oil companies.

Gasoline. The only hybrid on the market that we both really like is the Lexus GS-h (which is way out of our price range). Our cars now are pretty efficient, so unless we moved down to 4 cylinders or economy cars (which we're not), we're not going to do any better that way.

I don't see hydrogen cars being available the next time we decide to buy. And diesel's out of the question until there's finally a true quiet, clean diesel. So it's the same old same old for us.

In 10 years the kids will be out of the house and I see a Mini Cooper S with a JCW package in the garage.

Seriously, I would love to buy a small diesel car like a diesel Astra for a daily.

Chris

Seriously, I would love to buy a small diesel car like a diesel Astra for a daily.

The Opel Astra 3-door hatchback is appealing, for whatever reason. Smaller cars are getting nicer lines... it's about time. They need to get on board and put out some nicer versions of diesels on this side of the pond.