Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

Everyone should read this: Bush's new bill

This bill was passed a couple weeks ago by President Bush without Congressional approval or oversight; mainstream news has not covered it, in fact most don't even know about it (I found out via a skyscraper forum).

Essentially, this bill allows for the "continuity" of America in the event of a catastrophic disaster that would give extraordinary powers to the executive branch, throwing the system of checks and balances out the window. A catastrophic disaster could be another Katrina, 9/11, major earthquake in California, economic depression...you name it. Not only does the executive branch gain more power, but the president can take control of "private sector owners and operators of critical infrastructure."

Some excerpts:

The directive establishes under the office of the president a new national continuity coordinator whose job is to make plans for "National Essential Functions" of all federal, state, local, territorial and tribal governments, as well as private sector organizations to continue functioning under the president's directives in the event of a national emergency.

"Catastrophic emergency" is loosely defined as "any incident, regardless of location, that results in extraordinary levels of mass casualties, damage, or disruption severely affecting the U.S. population, infrastructure, environment, economy, or government functions."

"To preserve the constitutional framework under which the Nation is governed and the capability of all three branches of government to execute constitutional responsibilities and provide for orderly succession, appropriate transition of leadership, and interoperability and support of the National Essential Functions during a catastrophic emergency."

Link to the bill: http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/releases/20...0070509-12.html

Article: http://worldnetdaily.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=55825

Spread the word, let everyone know this bill has been passed and what it entails. I think there would be more of an uproar if people actually knew about it.

Edited by mustang84

Ummm, this is not a Bill it's a Directive. It is part of his Executive Powers as the President. He's not breaking any rules or laws by doing this and just so you know, I'm a Democrat! If Congress doesn't want this, they can just introduce a Bill to stop it, if he vetos it, they can override his veto. That's how the system works.

Edited by Pontiac Custom-S

Ummm, this is not a Bill it's a Directive. It is part of his Executive Powers as the President. He's not breaking any rules or laws by doing this and just so you know, I'm a Democrat! If Congress doesn't want this, they can just introduce a Bill to stop it, if he vetos it, they can override his veto. That's how the system works.

Except no other President was so hell-bent on saying "I can do whatever I want, screw anyone else".

I see nothing wrong with this, nor do I see it as strengthening the President's power. The purpose of this NSPD is to ensure that government still operates properly and accordingly in the event of a catastrophe. The extent of the "expanding power" of the executive branch is only to make sure that the other branches (namely Congress) are doing their job. Furthermore, this NSPD is designed to make sure that the rule of the Constitution is not suspended during a national emergency, as it states in the first sentence of paragraph six:

"The President shall lead the activities of the Federal Government for ensuring constitutional government."

This directive was brought about partly as the President's response to criticism of slow action in the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina. It's really a no-win situation. His opponents then argued that he did too little. His opponents now argue that he's doing too much.

Edited by Hollingsworth

He's really screwing us over before he leaves.

On the one hand, this is supposed to be an A-political portion of the forum.

On the other hand I've never felt worse about our national leadership in my entire life and I'm 41 years old.

Chris

Ok, maybe I jumped on this "directive" too quickly...the board it was posted at is pretty highly liberal and they have a tendency to go overboard. But with all the other controversial legislation Bush has passed, it's hard to avoid skepticism.

Either way, I would just like to end with a quote by Benjamin Franklin:

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both."