Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

Mother$%*@#^ mouse!

Variance

Just another one of those little annoyances in life that irks the hell out of me. The mouse I'm using on my computer right now is so damn useless. It's the garbage old-fashioned kind that uses a ball instead of the newer (and much better) optical laser or whatever. It never wants to move smoothly anymore despite me cleaning it out several times. I always have to bang the thing against the desk to get it to work semi-properly. You can imagine how much of a PITA this is when you're trying to work in Photoshop or anything that requires precision. <_< It doesn't even have a scroll wheel for God's sake. I'm gonna pick up a cheap optical mouse when I get the chance. Moral: Always go with opticial; you won't regret it. Edited by VarianceJ30

newer (and much better) optical laser or whatever.

[post="1599"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I wouldn't yet go with optical laser unless you have the cash to spend $60 on your mouse. As far as I know, only Logitech with it's MX1000 and two new gaming mice have it, but probably some specialty companies carry laser mice. Personally I'd go with optical LED technology... :D That's the "optical" you're thinking of.

I have been wondering about the upgrade to a laser mouse...my good old MX700 still works like a charm and of course I have the keyboard to boot...but those DiNovo and MX3100 desktops sure do look interesting.

Does anyone here have any experience with a laser setup yet?

I really want to get a BlueTooth mouse for my new laptop, but only two seem to exist and they're both expensive.

[post="1620"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

From what I can tell, there are a lot more than two bluetooth mice...but if you're referring to the smaller mobile mice (I know, I have a logitech notebook mouse myself)...I could see there only being two out there.

So far I ran into a non-mouse mouse from IOGear
-This from Targus: http://www.provantage.com/buy-7tgua06h-blu...us-shopping.htm
-This from Belkin which is absolutely not cheap at all (you could buy a bluetooth desktop for that price) http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage...oduct_Id=157641

It seems that mobile mice haven't quite made it to bluetooth, you have to realize that these things work off of AAA batteries and don't take well to the drain that bluetooth makes. Personally I'd just recommend going with a Logitech Optical Wireless Notebook mouse, but if you're using this laptop all of the time I might even consider looking into a desktop mouse solution.

Actually, I was looking at full-sized mice that happen to be BlueTooth. Basically I don't want to plug anything into the laptop for the mouse to work because I have integrated BlueTooth anyway. Could you refer me to the other models? I guess BestBuy just sucks at mice.

Well, I'm a bit of a Logitech nut and my immediate response would be the MX900 which is my mouse upgraded with Bluetooth, but as you mentioned...you didn't want anything to plug in.... These mice tend to have recharging stations that you use as bluetooth hubs... I'm going to take a look and see, but my first response would be looking at that Targus Notebook mouse...all it works with is a standard bluetooth dongle and it should work with integrated bluetooth.

Upon some review, I would stick with your best bet being either the Logitech MX900 or the Microsoft Intellimouse Explorer 2.0. Both are rechargeable so if you want to set up that stand somewhere off to the corner to charge them with it, it'll work...but both will work with your internal bluetooth on the laptop. There is one downside to these full size desktop mice though: no off switch. The off switch is designed for non-rechargeable mice to save alkaline batteries, these are designed to stop operating when put back on the charger. So if you plan on using alkalines in them to avoid the recharging...I'd recommend taking them out to turn off the mouse.

Thanks for the tips, Alpha. I'll need to think about how much I'm willing to spend on a mouse.

[post="1682"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Let me give you some insight from someone who went through that already...

I used to be of the opinion that all I needed was an optical mouse and the keyboard that came with the machine. Considering we'd owned Gateways...we'd had pretty good keyboards and mice (the keyboards were always soft click and the mice were logitech with a Gateway symbol on them - in fact I still keep my corded Logitech/Gateway in case of emergencies...lol...never use the thing though).

About 2 years ago I went over to someone's house and they owned a wireless mouse...wow...I was impressed. There was some "mouse lag" as they put it (where the mouse takes a second to wake up), and 30" was his limit...but I loved it. Then just post Christmas 2 years ago....I went into Best Buy to return something and take a look around and saw the Logitech MX700 Cordless Duo on sale for $80...a heavy price I thought...but I figured I'd waste the money if nothing else and know if I ever wanted to buy again. Let's just say I'm still blown away by how good they are. The wireless keyboard was great considering there was just no cable anymore and considering I'm still on the set of AA alkalines they provided me...I'm not upset about battery power...lol. The mouse though, is the kicker. If you've never had a mouse with secondary buttons, you'll learn to love them and never be able to live without them. Whenever I use another computer I'm constantly frustrated by not having the side back and forward buttons for IE, in addition, having two scroll speeds has been great (the mouse wheel and buttons above and below that move faster). The wireless is great...I never use a mousepad anymore and as long as I remember to recharge the batteries every other day (this is after 2 years, it used to last 3-4 days)...it won't fail during the 3rd... The mouse lag is not even noticeable, if I pay really close attention...I might...might be able to notice it... By no means is it a big deal.

My opinion has become that it's wireless or no computing for me...lol... And now that the MX3100 set (the new keyboard and MX1000 mouse with a laser and no mouse lag whatsoever) is entering the price range that I paid for my Duo set....I'm starting to consider upgrading. Granted, a DiNovo set would be cool...but reality is that I only need the MX3100 set...lol. :D

I should add that from what I hear, the bluetooth mice have a much greater mouse lag than RF. It has to do with powering down and up the bluetooth antenna (which consumes gigantic amounts of power anyway)...so if you're a gamer...be careful...you may want to consider some RF style mice with a little dongle to plug in.

I wouldn't yet go with optical laser unless you have the cash to spend $60 on your mouse.  As far as I know, only Logitech with it's MX1000 and two new gaming mice have it, but probably some specialty companies carry laser mice.  Personally I'd go with optical LED technology... :D  That's the "optical" you're thinking of.

Oh yeah, I guess LED's what I meant. I'm not a hardcore computer hardware guy that goes after the latest hardware. I just hate having crap. :P

Not to judge anyone but I think $60 for a mouse is kind of ridiculous.

Moral: Always go with opticial; you won't regret it.

[post="1599"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Wal*Mart: $13.00 (micro inovations brand) I even spilled Lemonade on it a few days ago and it stopped working..... so I disassebled it and cleaned/dried the circuit board and it started working fine! :)

I'm still rockin the old ball mouse although this thread has seriously gotten me involved in a wireless keyboard (mainly so I can swivle the otehr way in my comp chair to catch the TV yet still respond without the damn wires hugging my gonads. The mouse deal does not sound that important, then again if I'm getting the keyboard, might as well get the mouse to match it~

Like I said $13 for the optical.... the POS rollerball was like $10. It's a no brainer. This is one new technology that IS worht switching. I'll never go back!

Now...I need to start with saying something: The MX700 set I had was great...truly great... But the problem is: never accidentally (or on purpose for that matter) bend the USB dongle....lol...I broke my wireless keyboard and mouse set today... Currently I've jury-rigged the keyboard to keep working, but the mouse is KIA... Now, the upside to all this.... The Logitech MX3100 will be shipping bright and early tomorrow morning from NewEgg.com... I get an upgraded version of the keyboard I have...and the infamous and wonderful MX1000 Laser Optical Mouse. :D There will definitely be a review posted on this site to let you guys know how I like it...I sat and did a few hours of research on another computer in the house to make sure it was what I wanted for the price I wanted. ($80 after a $20 MIR is pretty good for it, considering it's the same price I paid for my old set too...lol) Josh, I'll tell you if the set I'm getting is worth it for a partial user... Considering this new mouse holds a charge for a week, has a battery meter, and can get a few hours charge off of 10 minutes on the charger (full charge in 3-4 hours)... I think it will make the transition to wireless very easy for someone...

• 4 years later...