My new favorite GM division

My wife's car (99 Pontiac Grand Am GT with 67000miles) has been enjoyable, but troublesome. Recently her 7th power window lifter failed. My wife decided to complain to GM customer service about this car. I told her that she was nuts. Manufacturers give warranties to limit there liability/responsibility. Not too surprisingly they were polite to her. I figured a sympathetic ear was all she would get. The young lady on the phone started gathering information!! She contacted the independent garage where we had the last two windows replaced. Then she moved on to the servicing dealer gathering more documentation. At each step she would call my wife and assure her that she was still working on it. Last week's call included the information that the case was going to her supervisor. Today she called and said that the repair would be covered 100%!!! Color me surprised and impressed. The customer service agent also said if anything else goes wrong with the car we should give her a call.

During this same time period my son in law's Toyota Corolla check engine light went on. It was determined that the idle control valve was at fault, that that device was part of the extended warranty dealing with the emissions control system, etc. Although the car was under the mileage limit, it was past the time part of the warranty. "Please pay the cashier."

During this same time period my son in law's Toyota Corolla check engine light went on. It was determined that the idle control valve was at fault, that that device was part of the extended warranty dealing with the emissions control system, etc. Although the car was under the mileage limit, it was past the time part of the warranty. "Please pay the cashier."

I see some history repeating itself here. Do I hear GM of the 1980's?

Well just as Toy rose fast its fall might be mighty too.

I have been very impressed with GM service on my car too. They have been excellent, keep me informed with everything.

Typically the X year / X mile warranty expires when one of the two values has been exceeded. Toyota is just following the Warranty terms and conditions to the T (or however that expression goes).

GM's service, on the other hand, indicates that they are trying very hard to retain existing customers.

Typically the X year / X mile warranty expires when one of the two values has been exceeded. Toyota is just following the Warranty terms and conditions to the T (or however that expression goes).

GM's service, on the other hand, indicates that they are trying very hard to retain existing customers.

Agreed. Something that will help them out quite a bit...

I rather GM didn't give rebates and have them put that rebate money into better warranties say 5 years 60,000 miles or longer bumper to bumper. I bet it would be less expensive to extend the warranties than giving rebates, and GM would be putting their money where their mouth is. :yes:

I rather GM didn't give rebates and have them put that rebate money into better warranties say 5 years 60,000 miles or longer bumper to bumper. I bet it would be less expensive to extend the warranties than giving rebates, and GM would be putting their money where their mouth is. :yes:

I think that you make a good point there. It seems to have worked wonders for Hyundai too.

Latest update: We had a 9:00 AM appointment but the service writer called to say the service manger had no idea how this was actually going to be paid for. He asked if we were going to be reimbursed by GM. We canceled the appointment pending further clarification. My wife called customer service and left a voice message. An hour later the service manager called and said it was all covered and just bring the car in. The car is being repaired as I type!