Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

Got That Itch Again ...

Guest YellowJacket894

Guest YellowJacket894

So I've turned in a few applications and resumes at plenty of local businesses the last few days of May and I'm expecting at least one interview. Of course, with a job comes money, and I plan on shoveling that money into another car. Sure, I've got the S-10 ... but I have this urge to buy a nice car (since I do already have a truck, all trucks, with the rare exception of a cheap Syclone, are out ... SUVs still make the cut, however) that I can drive out of town without feeling embarrassed about the S-10s worn out paint, miles of dings and dents, practically non-existing exhaust system ... among other things I still haven't sorted out for some reason. I plan on it ... but I've just lost any enthusiasm for the truck (once again).

So, I'm thinking about the following list of cars:

• 1980s GM A/G-Body coupe (Monte Carlo, Cutlass, Regal, Grand Prix ... you know the drill.)
  • 1990s GM B-Body sedan (Caprice/9C1, Impala SS ... maybe even a Custom Cruiser just for the shear shock value.)
  • Any GM F-Body
  • Nissan 240SX (It's rear-drive, got a stick ... sounds good just as long as the appearance doesn't scream "Welfare Special.")
  • '97 - '02 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP
  • "Classic" Olds Aurora
  • '96 - '02 Pontiac Grand Am GT coupe
  • Any decent 2-door Blazer/Jimmy
  • Buick Riviera
  • Olds Alero coupe
  • Most Pontiac Bonnevilles
  • Most El Caminos/Sprints/Caballeros (As long as it looks like it wasn't plucked from Bubba Bob's front yard. Another exception to the "no trucks" rule.)
  • And whatever else that I can think of that is rear-drive or/and has some real appeal.
I also browsed on the ever-so-godly eBay Motors and found this little gem down the road in Tennessee. The reserve is about $3500 bucks ... not bad and it's a few hundred below my limit. Look here if you want to take a peek.

And that brings me to another point, my limit is five-grand. No more. If I can ever find the kind of deal Sixty-8 got on his Buick Roadmaster, I'll ... well, I'd probably just $h! pure gold for a week. :P

Also, if anyone catches one of those cars on their daily drive to work or where ever and think I would buy it, give me a PM. Don't stop and ask questions for me ... that's just too much trouble. But if you do see one, just get me a phone number and I'll do all the talking. If you do that, it's very much appreciated. :)

Edited by YellowJacket894

You know me... I'd go with something from the 1970s or 1980s...

1. it only APPRECIATES in the semi-long run, not depreciates

2. RWD > FWD

3. cheaper parts

4. esier to work on

5. No emissions B.S. to deal with

6. More durrable (ever seen a A/G/B-body break off a wheel due to a CV joint like a FWD car?)

7. RWD, BOF cars are more fun to own/drive

8. RWD >>>> FWD

Guest YellowJacket894

Hmmm ... I do like that Bonneville.

That also brings me to another thought ... anyone have like a chart or a site that can calculate shipping costs on a car that is over 150 miles out of state.

If you can consider Bonnevilles, Aleros, and such... I'm pretty sure a Millenia will do you well. :D

Otherwise, you need to add the following to your list, or else. BMW 325, Buick Reatta (slow, but cool) Cadillac Eldorado, Cadillac Catera, Ford Mustang, Ford Thunderbird, Infiniti M30, Lexus SC300/400, Lincoln Mark VII, Mazda RX7, Mercury Cougar, Mitsubishi Starion (if you can even find one), Nissan 300ZX, Oldsmobile Toronado Trofeo, Pontiac Fiero GT/Formula (how could you leave this off your list?!), Pontiac Turbo Grand Prix, Subaru SVX, Toyota Supra. I even left out as many cars as possible due to you probably not wanting cars like the Honda Prelude, Mazda Miata, etc. :P

Guest YellowJacket894

Well, if interested in anything down in Florida, let me know. I'd be glad to help you out in getting the car up there. Sometimes, the professional shipping can be expensive.

Thanks, Fly. The offer is very much appreciated. Chances might be that I might just end up taking it. :)

Guest YellowJacket894

Heh well if you do, just let me know. I have time off between classes now and all I ask is reimbursement for fuel and a ride to the airport!

Good deal. 8)

Only the most $h!ty FWD cars could even realistically have that happen. Rods, struts, arms... Unless those all break, the wheel isn't going anyway.

True, this is very much a Honda/Toyota/Mitsubishi trait.

Still high-milage FWD cars, domestic or not have serious

weak spots in the front suspension where big BOF boats

have to have a half million miles to be even near as bad.

I have the new car itch myself... and a new job starting in 2 weeks.. leaving the relative security of a corporate cubicle (with 4 weeks vacation, good salary, 4 1/2 years there, bored to death) for a hired gun 1 yr contract job at a higher rate that looks like it will be a lot more fun...(in a completely different vertical--going from insurance P&C software to aviation mapping software).

So I'll put off buying something until I'm sure the contract is going to fly, then I may look at getting something else..(since I've had my Jeep 7 years and almost 80k miles, I'd like to have something new for a daily driver..not sure if I should wait on the '08 CTS or find something else).

I...want...that...car!!!

I would avoid Cateras since they have reliability issues and they look like a big fat Cavalier.

Might also suggest

• Nissan 300ZX (80's or 90's),
  • Jeep Cherokee (c'mon, they're old but tough as nails offroad and that's where all the fun's at)
  • 2nd gen LH car (300M's are a pretty sweet deal)
  • 3rd or 4th gen Camaro
  • 3000GT/Dodge Stealth

Guest YellowJacket894
I would avoid Cateras since they have reliability issues and they look like a big fat Cavalier.

From what I've read in the past, most Cateras built after 1999 have much better reliability. I've considered one, actually. But then I would want to shovel a bunch of cash into it to add GTO or Commodore front and rear clips to it, shoehorn in a V8, and transplant a GTO dash. Thats money that should go to getting the S10 in a more tolerable state.

Might also suggest
  • Nissan 300ZX (80's or 90's)

You could suggest a nice '91 or newer Z car, of course. I've always had a thing for the last-generation 300ZX. I don't much care for the jumbled-together styling of the '80s model, though. It's just a "me thang," though. :P

• Jeep Cherokee (c'mon, they're old but tough as nails offroad and that's where all the fun's at)

:scratchchin:

Hmmm .... a Cherokee ... never considered one. Again, I'm at the same issue I find with considering a Blazer ... and that would be that I would never buy one of the grocery-getter four-door models. Three-doors only.

• 2nd gen LH car (300M's are a pretty sweet deal)

I like the 300M. If I could find one cheap enough, I could find myself behind the wheel. The other LHs ... I can take 'em or leave 'em.

• 3rd or 4th gen Camaro

Any F-Body is up for grabs. Glance over my original list again. :wink: :P

• 3000GT/Dodge Stealth

Oooh. Yes. Another attractive alternative. And I know of two located in my area that I should plan on looking at soon.

Also if I can find a Porsche 924/944/968 or 928 that's in good shape and cheap, I could grab it as well.

Guest YellowJacket894

If you can consider Bonnevilles, Aleros, and such... I'm pretty sure a Millenia will do you well. :D

If it looks anything like and has the exact rims as the car in your sig, then may the option be opened up. :wink: :P

Otherwise, you need to add the following to your list, or else. BMW 325, Buick Reatta (slow, but cool) Cadillac Eldorado, Cadillac Catera, Ford Mustang, Ford Thunderbird, Infiniti M30, Lexus SC300/400, Lincoln Mark VII, Mazda RX7, Mercury Cougar, Mitsubishi Starion (if you can even find one), Nissan 300ZX, Oldsmobile Toronado Trofeo, Pontiac Fiero GT/Formula (how could you leave this off your list?!), Pontiac Turbo Grand Prix, Subaru SVX, Toyota Supra. I even left out as many cars as possible due to you probably not wanting cars like the Honda Prelude, Mazda Miata, etc. :P

Admitantly, I do like the Miata and Prelude. Don't know if I would ever buy one but ... As for the rest of the list, I like 95 percent of what I'm reading. 8)

Subliminal advertising, much? :P

A Fiero ... hmmm .... :scratchchin:

Edited by YellowJacket894

Lincoln Mark VII

I would avoid a Mark VII or Mark VIII like the plague. The Mark VIII my grandparents had was on its way to going to pieces when they traded it in for their Impala. They're good-looking and fast cars, but have enough electrical gremlins to drive one mad. If you have one with the air suspension and it goes bad, you might as well just push it off a cliff and save yourself the hassle. An Eldorado would be the smarter choice between the two.

I glad im not picky on vehicles. If it runs, I'm good with it. However, from the decription of your truck, I dont really blame you. An old S-10 just doesnt go. Something like that holds the symbol of "Redneckism". But they do hold up prety good for the lone self; if you remember, my dad had one and it held up for about 15+ years of continuous use.

And on a more personal note: I'm gald I get my moms blazer :) (even though it IS a little big)

Edited by Halo

From what I've read in the past, most Cateras built after 1999 have much better reliability. I've considered one, actually. But then I would want to shovel a bunch of cash into it to add GTO or Commodore front and rear clips to it, shoehorn in a V8, and transplant a GTO dash. Thats money that should go to getting the S10 in a more tolerable state.

Sounds cheaper just to find a used GTO :P

You could suggest a nice '91 or newer Z car, of course. I've always had a thing for the last-generation 300ZX. I don't much care for the jumbled-together styling of the '80s model, though. It's just a "me thang," though. :P

Yeah, the 91+ is what I love, the previous gen I'm not that crazy for. I still think the 90's 300ZX is more handsome than the 350Z

:scratchchin:

Hmmm .... a Cherokee ... never considered one. Again, I'm at the same issue I find with considering a Blazer ... and that would be that I would never buy one of the grocery-getter four-door models. Three-doors only.

I've always wanted a Cherokee because the idea of bolder bashing sounds like a blast. That, and you won't have to worry about getting stuck in the snow most of the time. I like the look of the 4-doors better, but that's me. ^_^

I like the 300M. If I could find one cheap enough, I could find myself behind the wheel. The other LHs ... I can take 'em or leave 'em.

I've seen them for around 5,000. The 300M had my favorite interior design too.

Any F-Body is up for grabs. Glance over my original list again. :wink: :P

I saw that after I posted, but I was too lazy to remove it :P

Oooh. Yes. Another attractive alternative. And I know of two located in my area that I should plan on looking at soon.

Also if I can find a Porsche 924/944/968 or 928 that's in good shape and cheap, I could grab it as well.

I've always had a thing for the 3000GT/Stealth (3000GT more because of the stupid spoiler on the Stealth). They are awesome looking cars, albeit very tight inside. I got to drive one a couple weeks ago and it was awesome. ^_^ Good luck finding a Porsche in good condition.

Guest YellowJacket894
Sounds cheaper just to find a used GTO :P

Don't I know it. :P

Yeah, the 91+ is what I love, the previous gen I'm not that crazy for. I still think the 90's 300ZX is more handsome than the 350Z.

For me, the best looking Z cars are the 240Z, '91 300ZX, and I do like the 350Z.

I've always wanted a Cherokee because the idea of bolder bashing sounds like a blast. That, and you won't have to worry about getting stuck in the snow most of the time. I like the look of the 4-doors better, but that's me. ^_^

I don't need the extra doors, so I just wind up buying on my aesthetic impulses. :P

I've seen them for around 5,000. The 300M had my favorite interior design too.

Now I can say I'm more enthusiastic about the thought of a 300M. That's not a bad price for that kind of car.

I saw that after I posted, but I was too lazy to remove it :P

Ah, no big one. :P

I've always had a thing for the 3000GT/Stealth (3000GT more because of the stupid spoiler on the Stealth). They are awesome looking cars, albeit very tight inside. I got to drive one a couple weeks ago and it was awesome. ^_^ Good luck finding a Porsche in good condition.

Yes. The 3000GT/Stealth is nice and something of a rare sight. I like the styling of the Stealth but I too find the wing to be a little over the top. And thanks for the good luck because I'll probably need it.

If it looks anything like and has the exact rims as the car in your sig, then may the option be opened up.

Hmm... Oh, don't you worry, I'll find one. Won't be hard since the car itself is like mine and stock besides the wheels. :P

Admitantly, I do like the Miata and Prelude. Don't know if I would ever buy one but ... As for the rest of the list, I like 95 percent of what I'm reading.

You're not as close minded as I worried. This is good. :D

Subliminal advertising, much?

A Fiero ... hmmm ....

*dangles a hypnosis watch in front of you* You will buy a Fiero... You love the Fiero... The Fiero is better than sex... The Fiero can be your life long wife. *nods*

6. More durrable (ever seen a A/G/B-body break off a wheel due to a CV joint like a FWD car?)

funny story came to mind.. now i LOVE 82-88 monte SS's... one day a very simaliar thing happen... very long story short.... a C Clip snapped in the rear, and next thing we know, the wheel/hub/axel assembly on the drivers side slides out and we're three wheeling down the road for a few hundred feet

us> :pokeowned: <life

Edited by SuperSport623

Berea, Kentucky. (Better known as "God's Blind Spot.")

*raises eyebrow*

Holy cow ... it 'tis a small world. My best friend's family used to live there MANY years ago (early to mid 1070s or so, iirc).

As for the choice of car ... believe you already know my suggestion ... and it is in your list ... and you included an eBay ad for one.

Do I really need to spell it out for ya?

;)

he he

Seriously, though ... whatever you decide ... GOOD LUCK!

Cort:33swm."Mr Monte Carlo.Mr Road Trip".pig valve.pacemaker

PICS:lego.HO.model.MCinfo.RT.CHD = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort

"Loose your blues" ... Kenny Loggins ... 'Footloose'

I know about a Roadmonster wagon that needs a new home. PM me if you are interested and I'll check on specifics and if it is still available. It is local to me in PA. IIRC, it is a well-maintained, high mile car.

Alternatively, I have a Maserati for sale... 8)

Guest YellowJacket894

I know about a Roadmonster wagon that needs a new home. PM me if you are interested and I'll check on specifics and if it is still available. It is local to me in PA. IIRC, it is a well-maintained, high mile car.

My PM will tell you of my interest. :P

Alternatively, I have a Maserati for sale... 8)

I'll keep that option open. :)

Guest YellowJacket894

Want a 1984 Hess & Eisenhardt Cutlass Ciera convertible? These are rare; 300 Century convertibles were done by H&E and I assume a similar number of Oldsmobiles. $1800.

http://tampa.craigslist.org/car/345674416.html

Posted Image

Posted Image

Interesting option, but the Ciera fails to light any sort of passion with me. Always has. A very rare car, yes, but a boring one at that.