Exhaust Manifold cracked

So today I decided to finally swap and rewire stereos in the Prizm. The Pioneer unit in there actually has good sound adjustments but has a $h!ty, almost unreadable display and it's a cassette player. The Sony XPLOD is a cd player that can read CD/RWs too as well as having an AUX jack. With help from my friend we got it wired up..although I'm disappointed with sound quality...the bass is almost nonexistent. if I ever buy an aftermarket stereo I'll go for Pioneer.

But that's not what this thread is about. While I had the hood up to disconnect the battery, my friend noticed that the exhaust manifold had a crack in it. Oh goodie. Apparently this is a common problem with Toyota Corollas and Prizms (or anything else that has the 1.6L). He's been through 2 of them in his Corolla.

The questions I have now are:

Is it fairly easy to replace?

Would an aftermarket manifold be better than getting a Toyota manifold (would the quality be better)?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Get a used one from a junkyard... or better yet headers.

I bet some braniac is parting out his totalled Ricer on

Craigslist and you can pick up a cheap set.

They make JB weld for high temps.

good, just brought it up, haven't heard anything about it since i stopped listening to car talk....trying to guess what's wrong with peoples cars before the hosts said what they thought

So today I decided to finally swap and rewire stereos in the Prizm. The Pioneer unit in there actually has good sound adjustments but has a $h!ty, almost unreadable display and it's a cassette player. The Sony XPLOD is a cd player that can read CD/RWs too as well as having an AUX jack. With help from my friend we got it wired up..although I'm disappointed with sound quality...the bass is almost nonexistent. if I ever buy an aftermarket stereo I'll go for Pioneer.

side note... kinda late too, but all the new pioneer cdplayers have aux inputs and are mp3/wma players at least

side note... kinda late too, but all the new pioneer cdplayers have aux inputs and are mp3/wma players at least

Yeah, almost everything does these days. But this cost me 3 bucks (wire crimps) to do, verses a whole new stereo :P

I played around with the setting on the Son y and got it to sound pretty good...just took some fine tuning. ^_^

Well, $500 and 4 hours of waiting tell me that exhaust manifolds on EcoTecs aren't easy or cheap to replace. I waited a long time to do mine too, so it got really really loud before I got it replaced.

It's not something that needs to be done right away right? It's a fairly mall crack and the car isn't loud..honestly if we hadn't noticed it I wouldn't have known from listening. My friend said he got one from the junkyard and it wasn't too hard to replace...looking at the repair manual it doesn't look that difficult, I'd just need to get the parts. It's just one more thing to do, oh so fun y`know?

The Redneck solution to your problem is to turn up the radio.

Either way it will not effect safety or reliability.

Yeah, you're in no imminent danger, though it is possible for any exhaust leak to allow the exhaust into the car. The bigger problem is that it'll get worse and worse until its unbearably loud.

Can't be worse than last summer, when the exhaust broke can off just behind the catalytic converter, until we fixed it, i just unbolted it so it wouldn't drag. It was extremely loud :P

The L200 I had a couple of years ago.

Ahh...Saturn's craptastic car. The ones after 03 are the only ones worth looking at....

Though the Eco seems to be a pretty good engine...many of those eco'd L series seem to still be on the road...

Knock on wood, My eco has been quite good to me....

It will easily outlast the Cavalier it's in now.... :thumbsup: