Eww, the sound of roadkill

So I was driving home on a two-lane road, and see a possum crossing the street. I slow down to make sure he gets across my side, and he successfully did. However, there was a car coming in the oncoming lane that he wasn't so fortunate to avoid, and I had the unpleasant experience of hearing its death. I was probably 15 feet from where he was hit as I was driving by. I hear a thud-caa-runch and then a second later a nasty splatter. Not something I ever want to hear again. Gross.

On your barn? :huh:

I remember once, my Jack Russell had one cornered in one of our farm sheds. It was playing dead, but she kept rushing it and biting at it. Seemed to go on forever. I forget how I got her off of it so it could scamper away and do possum things.

The night I hung a new muffler on the Super 88 with XP's help we

decided to take a random roadtrip to Boston with it. On the way

back right by my house a Possum ran out and stopped in the

middle of the road, I put him in the center of the car, being too

late to stop... that way he was right in between the wheels...

But as we passed over him he heard a solid, gut wrenching THUD

as the exhaust hanger crushed his craneum.

Then also last fall on a warm afternoon I did my best to avoid a

black squirell that ran out in front of the Datsun, but he ran right

under my passanger tire anyway.

The Roadmonster has killed a giant buff frog. I never run over

anything on purpose, I do not need the bad karma.

I was once driving on I-74 to Illini on a cold, snowy night, when I saw a raccoon coming off the median. I was in the slow lane, and I did not have courage to sway around and miss it. It hit the passenger side tire, which went up as if going on a curb and then Thud-Crunch-Splash. It was an eerie sound.

Best ever road kill - not that I try to do this stuff - it just happened to be the perfect time to happen:

Heading back to Penn State in my 92 GMC on I 80 - I am in the fast lane in pretty heavy traffic and I am moving at a good clip. Behind me, attached to my bumper actually, is an Aerostar...no more than 5 feet between us and it looked like it was going to work on bump drafting me. From the median behind a bridge pylon comes Thumper...cute widdle bunny wabbit...at this very moment it decides to do a Frogger impersonation with two cars in front of me...dodged one, then the other, and was making its way to the median again when it stopped directly in front of me...so I moved as far over to the middle line to give it a chance...it hopped back INTO traffic just as my front wheel passed it and Directly under my back tire. Mr. Bunny EXPLODED out the back of my truck like it was shot out of that Mythbuster's chicken cannon...and ALL OVER Mr. Tailgater's windshield!!! I looked back to see the guy swerving onto the median as he was driving with his head out the side window.

I felt horrible about the bunny, but great about the guy getting what he deserved for following so close!

Edited by toesuf94

Best ever road kill - not that I try to do this stuff - it just happened to be the perfect time to happen:

Heading back to Penn State in my 92 GMC on I 80 - I am in the fast lane in pretty heavy traffic and I am moving at a good clip. Behind me, attached to my bumper actually, is an Aerostar...no more than 5 feet between us and it looked like it was going to work on bump drafting me. From the median behind a bridge pylon comes Thumper...cute widdle bunny wabbit...at this very moment it decides to do a Frogger impersonation with two cars in front of me...dodged one, then the other, and was making its way to the median again when it stopped directly in front of me...so I moved as far over to the middle line to give it a chance...it hopped back INTO traffic just as my front wheel passed it and Directly under my back tire. Mr. Bunny EXPLODED out the back of my truck like it was shot out of that Mythbuster's chicken cannon...and ALL OVER Mr. Tailgater's windshield!!! I looked back to see the guy swerving onto the median as he was driving with his head out the side window.

I felt horrible about the bunny, but great about the guy getting what he deserved for following so close!

Poor rabbit but man what a sight that musta been!

You know what I hate? Those stupid Sparrows, they're like Kamikazes..waiting until just before you get to where they are then they fly in front of you across the road at low level..because they are either too damn stupid to fly 5 feet higher over the oncoming mass or they all have a death wish. Haven't hit one yet but I won't feel bad if I do...they're asking for it I swear!

Ina ll seriousness, I don't like the idea of hitting an animal, and I've been fortunate enough not to hit a live one (although I've run over a few dead ones by accident). The worst thing is seeing a pet that's been hit. :(

I was driving my old job's E-350 refrigerated van to pick up a load of beef and you know how birds often swoop low over the highway? Well, little yellow bird swooped into the hood of the van and got stuck in the windshield wiper right in front of my face. It was still twitching a little and I tried running the wiper to see if it would fall off, but it was stuck (and smearing). Pretty disgusting. So I pulled over and grabbed some paper towels and picked it out of there. The bird was dead by that time...I felt pretty bad for the poor little guy.