Choppin' Competition #42 - A Whole New SAAB

Welcome to Choppin' Competition #42!

Posted Image

The Aero-X concept shown above was meant to preview a new direction for GM's Sweedish division, a vision that included dynamic, bespoke styling that enhanced SAABs appeal while remaning distinctly original. Elements of the Aero-X manifested itself in the recently-revealed 2008 9-3 line, including the more aggressive front fascia and ice-block taillamps. And while niche players have traditionally survived on one model alone, today's market demands diversification. The 9-3 reamins fairly popular, but the 9-5 and 9-7X were tepid performers at best.

Your task, should you choose to accept it, is to design a reinvigorating SAAB vehicle. We already know that a future flagship 9-5 will arrive in a few years on Epsilon II while a NG Theta-based crossover could wear the 9-4X badge. Rumbings have also been heard over the past few years of a Sonett roadster joining the lineup. Those are but three ideas for future product and you are free to create anything you like in any segment, from compact to fullsize and and bodystyle. Keep SAAB styling cues in mind, but feel free to modify them or dig through SAAB's history for something innovative. You may use any vehicle as your starting point, but remember that the final product must be a SAAB.

Some Picture Sources...
-SAAB @Autodeadline*

Size guidelines remain at 800x600, so please size your entry accordingly. Please do not submit your images as Bitmap (.bmp) files.

The winner will recieve a GM-related prize from C&G!

Deadline is Friday, July 7th @ 11:59PM your local time.

Good luck and have fun! :CG_all:

*Instructions for accessing high-resolution images through AutoDeadline:
Replace the bold, orange section of the URL...
(http://gm.wieck.com/forms/gm/*query?silverado&Source=all)
...with the make/model/etc you're searching for. Replacing 'silverado' with 'lesabre' will bring up downloadable hi-res images of the Buick LeSabre.

The Enclave styling is very Buick, all around. There's nothing about it that looks Saab, and removing some chrome and blacking out the taillights isn't enough to change that. It's a good idea though--try changing more and it could certainly work.

Edited by Zulehan

Posted Image

I had the same idea, but you beat me to it. Honestly, this is 1000x better than the Buicaab Enclave. Good job! :thumbsup:

My similar entry is coming up, just finished the other day, though not nearly as phenomenal as Gizhost's Opel-Saturn twin. Mine is also based on a past Sab concept.

OK, now you're probably thiniking Aero-X. WRONG!

I hope tyo have it up tonight.

Introducing the all new, 2010 Saab 9-1 compact 2-door hatchback, starting at only $14,850 base model, available with three trims: LE, Aero, and E (Hybrid). The Saab 9-1 features standard side/curtain and front airbags, along with rear-wheel drive and a base of 150 horsepower.

The main competitors for the 2010 compact hatchback is the Toyota Yaris, Hyundai Accent, and Kia Rio/Rio5. Expect the 9-1 to start production in late spring 2009 and hopefully hitting dealership showfloors as soon as late July-early August and as late as mid-October 2009.

Posted Image

Shot

Your car looks much more Saab than mine, good job! I may have to edit my entry and get some actual Saab taillights in there. I started the Enclave chop and my chopping began to surpass my abilities...in other words it started looking like complete crap, so I just posted the vehicle at a stage that I thought looked pretty good.

The main competitors for the 2010 compact hatchback is the Toyota Yaris, Hyundai Accent, and Kia Rio/Rio5.

The main competitors for the 2010 compact hatchback is the Volvo C30, Audi A1, and MINI Cooper.

Fixed.

Isn't SAAB a bit classier than Toyota, Hyundai, and Kia? Good ones. I like how you used that forgotten 93 concept as base, MB. And I like the Astra as base, but that's stretching Delta across one to many brands, no? And BTW, black rims are a bit early 90's. :rolleyes:

OK a different concept, big V-8 AWD Luxury coupe for Saab....9-9 or ??...: the small pixs are the same as the posted pix !

Obviously I went for the rendering look not a sharp photo pix this time,...you get the feel of it better this way tho IMO.

Posted Image

post-1820-1183733600_thumb.jpg

post-1820-1183733843_thumb.jpg

Edited by MRDETROITMETAL

Okay, so here's one I started when the competition was first posted, then took a trip to Detroit and forgot about it. Don't have the time or patience to smooth it out/clean it up in MSPaint right now.

Saab SportCombiX- though it may look like a $125,000, mid-engine, german car, it would obviously be significantly lightened so the turbocharged 300+hp 4 cyl could drag the thing around. Front engine. Front or available AWD.

post-3817-1183863706_thumb.jpg

Edited by Spacecowboy