GM fan going after BAD GM dealer

Dsuupr

In recent years my wife and I have had GREAT luck with the GM dealers (besides the Saturn dealer). Don't get me wrong, they've made mistakes but they always make amends for their error. Most importantly they ALWAYS make sure to provide professional customer service.

If I wasn't such a GM fan I would have headed down to the toyota dealer to trade in my Buick by now. Not because the car isn't great, which it is. But because of POOR customer service.

The story is long. For those that have time (also very rough as I wrote quickly with little regard to grammar and such) . . .

My experience with the Buick/Cadillac/GMC/Pontiac Dealer in McMinnville, OR – Larsen Motors

We went to Larsen Motors because they had advertised a 2001 Impala and 2001 Century in our price range. The sales person told us about a 1996 Park Avenue “in the back” that was in almost as good a condition as a new car. Though I was reluctant, we checked out the Park Avenue. As it turned out, the Park Avenue was in better shape than the newer vehicles we had looked at. Our salesperson, James Renken, told us that all their vehicles are inspected, had their oil changed and any other service necessary prior to purchase, which made both of us very comfortable with the car. So we purchased it. Our purchase experience was typical car dealer. Not great, but not bad for a dealer.

The following Saturday the rear brakes went out on the Buick. We brought it to our local Les Schwab to have it checked out. They said that whoever did the recent brake job had screwed up. Upon reviewing the records we noticed that the brakes had been recently replaced by Midas and not the Buick Dealer. The people at Les Schwab were surprised that the dealer didn’t catch the problem during their inspection. We figured it was a simple mistake by the dealer during the inspection. Les Schwab replaced the rear brakes and we were on our way.

On the evening of August 19th when I used the Buick I noticed that the low oil light was on. Upon checking the oil I noticed that there was not oil on the dip stick. I called the dealer early the next morning to see about getting the car in. The Service Writer on the phone stated that they could not get the car in until the 22nd. He suggested I bring the car in for an oil change. We had gone almost 3000 miles, and the 1st oil change was free, so I agreed. I had to prompt him to see about getting the car in prior to have them top off the oil so no additional damage would be done.

I drove the car to the dealer. As I pulled up to the service bay entrance had three cars blocking me from going in. A newer Cobalt with its hood partially open, a 1970’s Corvette with its hood open and engine parts pulled, and a late 90’s early 00’s Malibu with its engine pulled apart and the hood open. It was sprinkling outside so I sat in my car waiting for a Service person. After a few minutes no one came out so I went in. It took a few minutes before either person acknowledged me and asked it I needed help. I stated that I had called earlier and need to have my oil topped off. While telling him the story, the person I talked to on the phone walked by. He stated, oh yeah you’re the one with the Park Avenue. At that time he did not introduce himself or use my name. The guy that I was talking said that he needed the VIN to look the car up in their system. He went to the car and wrote down the VIN# then went to his computer to look it up. After looking up the information he walked back to me and stated that the service department had not inspected the car prior to us purchasing it. I was a little steamed but figured I could call the salesperson later regarding this issue. The service person then stated that we needed to get the car on level ground to check the oil. The problem; There were three vehicles filling up most of the entry area, and a car on the right which didn’t allow me to drive the front of the car in. The service person slowly looked around his own lot for a place to level the car out. I suggested that I angle the car in, which he agreed was a good idea. If he would have just grabbed the keys to the car on the right and moved it, I could have just pulled right in. I got in the Buick and backed it up to re-angle the car. As I pulled back a service technician with keys in hand walked up to the car on the right, opened it up and looked inside the car. I made eye contact with him, hoping he was there to move the car for me to pull in. He looked at me, looked back in the car, and slowly closed the door and walked away. I then angled my car in for the service person to inspect. When the hood was open I noticed that the coolant looked a little low so I said something to him. He stated back that it was low but that it was ok for this car. His last words to me was, “be careful not to his the Corvette when backing up”. Not once did anyone use my name when addressing me. He finished the top off and I went home.

Once home I called the salesperson, James Renken. I explained to him that I went to the service department and they told me the inspection was never done. James said that he told us that was what the 1st oil change was supposed to be. I remarked back that he never stated that to us. After he went round and round about what he stated, he backed up and said that he might have forgotten to say something. Here is the catch; I am a car nut. NONE of my cars go pass oil changes, or are kept for proper service. I would have brought the car in the next business day if I knew it needed an oil change. I most definitely would have not bought the car at all if I knew they hadn’t even inspected it.

At the end of our conversation I told him I was disappointed with Larsen Motors and would most likely never buy a car there again, or use their service department. His response, “sorry to hear that”. He never did ask what he could do to keep my business.

With that I decided to take it to the next level to see if someone at Larsen Motors wanted my business. I called to cancel my Gold Rewards program. The Gold Rewards program is a marketing scheme to keep their customers. The person I needed to talk too was not available so I left a message. A short while later Anne called. She said that she got a message that I want to cancel my Gold Rewards program. I was asked if I wanted to stop receiving the emails which I responded in a firm voice, “No, I do not want to be a part of the program at all because I will never use Larsen Service Department.” In a positive tone she said “ok”. She then confirmed who I was and said goodbye. Not once did she ask why, or what she could do to keep me as a customer.

At this point I knew I needed to contact General Motors. I called the Customer Service Center for Buick and got Donna Mowat (who is FANTASTIC). I explained to Donna what had happened and how I was disappointed that such a dealer could represent General Motors. Donna asked me if it was ok if she called the dealer to try and clear things up. She spoke with the Service Manager, Matt Patulfki, at the dealer. The Service Manager agreed to give me an additional oil change and said that they would inspect the car to check for issues. They also agreed to bring up any issues with the sales department to see if they would pay for the repair. Donna asked me if I was willing to give them a second chance and go back for the oil change and inspection. I agreed because she went through the effort to help out and I figured the owner of Larsen Motors would also want the opportunity to show a more positive experience.

On Wednesday August 22nd my daughter and I drove up to the service department at Larsen Motors. The same 3 cars that were blocking service bay entrance where still there almost as if they hadn’t been touched. No one came out to greet me so I got out of my car and went into the Service Center. After a few minutes Matt came out of his office and asked me if I need some help. I stated that I had talked to Donna with General Motors and was instructed to talk Matt the Service Manager. He stated he was Matt, but never confirmed my name. Matt said that he needed to get my paperwork so they can work on the car. I gave him the keys and he asked me if I was going to wait at the dealership. I asked if we could get a ride to the local mini mall at which he responded that if we go to the waiting room someone would be there in a minute to give us a ride. At no time did Matt acknowledge my daughter or use my name.

A guy in well used jeans, worn out shirt, and tennis shoes asked if anyone in the waiting area needed a ride. I responded and then he led us out to the courtesy van. It was a newer Pontiac Montana that was dirty on the inside and smelled horrible. The driver did not open the doors for us, even with the power sliding passenger door. No name was given, and no name was asked. Once under way the conversation was pleasant and he seemed nice enough. He dropped us off at the mall and said we could call once we are ready to be picked up or they would call once the car was done. We waved goodbye and he was on his way.

My daughter and I decided to walk back to the dealership. I decided I should tell Matt we would be waiting in the waiting room so we walked into the service bay and stood there with 3 other people waiting for attention. Though Matt could easily see us from his office he never looked up to acknowledge us or to tell us he might be a few minutes. After a few minutes a Service Writer came in and asked who was first. The lady with paperwork responded by telling him she needed to speak with Matt. He said ok, and then went onto the next person who asked to set an appointment. After a minute or so Matt came out of his office to help the lady. When he came out I tried to capture his attention to tell him that we where going to the waiting area. He did not respond back though I knew he saw me because I was right behind the lady and he looked up at me. Less than a minute later another Service Writer came in and he asked if we needed some help. I asked him to tell Matt that we would be in the Waiting area. We were less then 5 feet away from Matt when I made this comment. Matt looked up and said ok while the lady was in mid-sentence with him. He never excused himself to respond, nor apologized to her for responding to us. We then headed into the waiting room.

After 15+ minutes my daughter headed to the service area to see if the car was done. She found the car in the parking lot looking as if it was ready to go. She came back and told me were it was so we headed to the cashier to see about checking out. We went to the cashier and I told her our car was in the parking lot and was wondering if we can check out.. She asked my name and type of car and then responded, “I don’t have the paperwork yet”. She did not suggest that she could call to find out the status or ???

For the next 10 minutes we sat the waiting for Matt or someone to let us know what was going on. Matt walked by 3 times without acknowledging us in any way. On the fourth walk through Matt came up to us said that the car was ready. He explained that the car has an oil leak and that the sales department of the company was willing to pay for it. He asked when I would like to schedule it. I picked a date and time, then asked how long it would take. He said it would take a few hours. Right away I asked if I get a loaner car. He said since it was the sales department issue he doesn’t have a car for me. Then went on to ask were I live. I stated I live in Dundee, approx 15 minutes away. He responded by saying, yeah . . . we don’t do courtesy service to that area. At this point I was so mad that I didn’t want to argue the issue.

We headed back to the service area for him to get me my paperwork. While he was getting my paperwork I sent my daughter out to see if they cleaned the car. A big selling point of their Gold Rewards program from our salesperson was the cleaning of the car when you bring it in for any type of service. She came back and said the car didn’t look clean. I headed out to the car to find that they had not in-fact cleaned the car. Matt showed up with the paperwork, I took it from him and we left. At NO time did Matt use my name, or acknowledge my daughter.

When driving home I noticed that our front windshield had lines of dirt on it, and the A/C was switched to super cold.

Once home I left a message for Donna to update her on the problems we have had.

KEEP IN MIND;

THIS IS A CADILLAC DEALERSHIP!

I'll update as new things happen.

Edited by Dsuupr

KEEP IN MIND;

THIS IS A CADILLAC DEALERSHIP!

Honestly, not surprised here. Local Cadillac dealership treated me in a similar fashion. Took four days to look at my car, no loaner, no nothing. A week and a day later, I picked up my car and it wasn't even rinsed. Disgusting film all over it. I left a message to complain, never recieved a return call, will never return to said dealer again.

I guess if you don't buy a Cadillac - or Land Rover or SAAB or Lotus or one of their other foreign junk makes they sell - you don't get even Chevy treatment.

By contrast, my local Goodyear/Gemini tire and oil change center let me use their little S10 so I could get lunch even though I was late for a $10 oil change and free rotate/balance and it would take them a whole extra 40 minutes to get to my car.

Makes you think.

People with good customer service skills are a dying breed.

Well said. I think it goes beyond that though. I think parents have stopped teaching etiquette and standard politeness years ago and this is passed on into customer service.

This is one of the reasons I won't buy a Chevy. I purchased my '04 Malibu from another dealership than the local (at the time) dealership because it was in November ('03) and not too many LT's were available at the time. I intended to use the local dealership for convenience. They were great for the first year & a half, until both of their great service writers left for other dealerships. This is when things went downhill, both with the new service writer and the not-so new-service manager. My experiences were similar to yours, with the writer not using anyones name, not giving info unless you asked for it, and the car being returned in not-so-clean condition. When I complained to their "customer care rep", she basically told me that their service dept was undergoing employee changes and things will "eventually" return to normal (apparently she was dealing with a lot of unhappy customers). Overall, their attitude was accept it or find a new dealership to use. I did one better - I got rid of my Chevy and bought (leased) a Saturn AURA. The level of service I receive there, and at the GMC dealership where I get the Envoy serviced (non-selling dealer), are worlds better. Next summer when the Envoy lease expires, I have all intentions to purchase from this GMC dealership because of the level of service I receive (instead of the cold, uncaring dealership where I leased the Envoy). Good luck with the Buick and finding a more caring service center.

Well said. I think it goes beyond that though. I think parents have stopped teaching etiquette and standard politeness years ago and this is passed on into customer service.

As a high school teacher, I've seen the bolded part above WAY TOO MUCH. There are kids who curse out the principal, and when the parents come in, they talk the same way to the man too. You see the acorn doesn't fall too far from the tree. Parents have actually complained to our superintendent that they feel the school should teach more "character education" to kids today... isn't this the parent's responsibility from DAY ONE???

For the older owners here, you better enjoy the good service you're getting before it disappears. With so much turnover in the auto business (sales & service fields), newer people don't offer the same level of common sense service as those who've been in the field a long time. With multiple dealerships being owned by one person, you're less likely to find the caring owner on-site to ensure their customers are happy and willing-to-return again. And since the almighty $$DOLLAR$$ runs the business anymore, you're going to find businesses more willing to let an unhappy customer go somewhere else and try to reach out to someone else.

It is a tightrope, to be sure. A Fixed Operations manager is always trying to find a balance. To cut costs (keep the General Manager happy), they can trim employees, reduce pay plans, cut the frills, but then the service level drops. Initially, they may see the loss of senior staff as a good thing (to the bottom line), but eventually that comes to haunt them as customers complaints/dissatisfaction escalates. 'Loaners,' 'free' car washes, shuttle service, free coffee - all of these things cost money, guys.

A good service advisor is worth their weight in gold, but then I've seen a good advisor burn out while trying to pick up the slack of the other, less experienced ones.

But above all else, I believe it is lack of communication that is the key. Either the person behind the counter is too busy, too tired or just pissed off (heaven knows what crap just went on at the last meeting!) to take the time to explain what is going on. I have worked in retail most of my adult life in one form or the other and I can categorically state that honesty and integrity, for both the customer and representative, is going down hill. Not to mention that in all professions today the pressures just to keep abreast of new developments are enormous. Just as one example, managers can get 200 emails a day from all levels at GM - and the must be dealt with in some fashion. Every department at GM has their own goals and agendas, so between listening to customer's life stories, being berated by the manager, baby sitting the lot attendants and re-reading the 5th revision to a 'home office letter,' your service advisor just may be at the end of his/her rope.

I got out of management because I was tired of having customers' lies and fabrications going over my head, and my decisions being overturned. It was just not worth the money or my time.

A good manager at a dealership is one who can hold irate customer's hands, appease competitive or incompetent technicians/sales people AND manage the tantrums coming from the dealer principle - all without giving into drug addiction, depression or suicide. :unsure:

Quite the thread... I really feel you on your experiences guys. It was sad, yet tragic to read. I really understand where you are coming from guys. It sad, and you cannot let them upset you. It comes down to customer service and treatment. The dealership makes most of their money in the service area. The salesman did not have to lie to you. I have a story. When I had my first Ninety Eight, I went to David Taylor all the time. When I bought my second one, I went to David Taylor all the time. That is when I started to notice things. They were good to me in the customer service area from rides to work in the Devilles and DTS, and picking me up from work and bringing me back to the dealership. They even had this courtesy thing they invited customers to to check their vehicles out and offer free food. I went to all of that stuff. I knew something was up when they held my car hostage one time. You need this and that, and you cannot pass state inspection without this. Then the next to the last time I went there I said don't you know who I am? He said no. He leaned back and looked at my car, and said Oh yeah...

I later figured out why he knew me by my car. They over charge and they do things to your vehicle you do not need. They also were doing things to cars too so you would have to bring it in for repairs. They wanted me to trade my car in on a new Buick or Pontiac or Cadillac. They had just stopped selling Oldsmobiles. They then were going to turn around and sell my car at a profit on the used car lot. They want to get me to believe something was wrong with my car. I found me a solid mechanic, and I am happy so far. My car runs better than it did before. He is the one who will be fixing the Toronado.

I understand your experience. The sad thing is... GM has the bad dealers who make it harder from them to turn the ship around.

As a high school teacher, I've seen the bolded part above WAY TOO MUCH. There are kids who curse out the principal, and when the parents come in, they talk the same way to the man too. You see the acorn doesn't fall too far from the tree. Parents have actually complained to our superintendent that they feel the school should teach more "character education" to kids today... isn't this the parent's responsibility from DAY ONE???

For the older owners here, you better enjoy the good service you're getting before it disappears. With so much turnover in the auto business (sales & service fields), newer people don't offer the same level of common sense service as those who've been in the field a long time. With multiple dealerships being owned by one person, you're less likely to find the caring owner on-site to ensure their customers are happy and willing-to-return again. And since the almighty $$DOLLAR$$ runs the business anymore, you're going to find businesses more willing to let an unhappy customer go somewhere else and try to reach out to someone else.

================================================================================

I really like what you have to say here. Character education is very important, however, it is not the schools sole responsibility to teach a student how to behave, its the parents job to SHOW their child how to behave, and to direct and redirect whenever necessary. Teachers are busy enough teaching curriculum that character education should be secondary and only enforced when a student breaks the code of ethics in the classroom. At least, that is how I would run my room if I were a teacher. I just think that parents depend on schools to educate the child on everything, and that isnt true. Parents are teachers too. The only difference is that you do not need a certificate.

I am new to Great Falls. I recently moved from Canuckistan and have only had the Av serviced once at a local Chevrolet dealer. I found them to be very curteous and professional, and they returned the AV clean inside and out. I was very impressed with their service. I think all dealers should offer luxury level customer service. All cars are expensive and the buyer deserves to be treated like a with respect, and their vehicle treated with respect.

Interesting...I have had a mix of both.

The dealership my family buys from (even though it is an extra half hour away), Has always taken good care of us. We have had a few issues with them over the years, but they have taken care of business. (The only expection was the issue at the end of my lease with the S-10, but then again there was nothing they could do with GMAC)

My local Chevy dealership has had a mix of both good and bad. Some of the dealership' s salespeople are nice-others are serious jerks.My dad bought his Venture there-but they still have yet to fix the brake issue right.

The Wife's Cav got hit by a moron in late Jan-they were nice about the repair-but the Cav goes back again next week because the paint is chipping of the front like crazy... :rolleyes:

It is a matter of the dealership to which you go.

I for one will be happy when GM trims some dealerships...beacause some really need to go....

Holy cow, Dsuupr ... what a horrible experience.

Sure hope you get some well-deserved attention and are reimbursed in some way/shape/form.....

Cort:33swm."Mr Monte Carlo.Mr Road Trip".pig valve.pacemaker

WRMNshowcase.lego.HO.model.MCs.RT.CHD = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort

"I hope I'm a little bit stronger" ... KT Oslin ... 'Come Next Monday'

Make a friend of your service advisor, the investment will pay off big!

That is a good motto to live by in any line of work. Praise a business when they do good work and advise them nicely when they screw up. Life was so much better when customers were about relationship building and not just another number. The customer also has to remember that when there is an issue, do not immediately get all huffy and demanding. I've had a lot of concerns with my cable/internet provider recently (like the $300 a month bill!) and found one phone rep who spent a lot of time with me and together we whittled about $50 a month off my bill. I also had a scare with an unpaid speeding ticket and responded to it immediately, getting heaps of help from the Justice of the Peace and Crown Attorney just by being pleasant and honest. Getting all snotty and demanding only makes the person you are dealing with get snotty and intransigent back.

My service guy left and moved to Hawaii. When I used to go to the dealership Marshall Sabatino was so good to me. When he moved to Hawaii and then that it when it went down hill. He was a young service guy too. They would not let him drive customers cars though. They even told the lady working the front desk they did not want her talking to people too long.

My service guy left and moved to Hawaii. When I used to go to the dealership Marshall Sabatino was so good to me. When he moved to Hawaii and then that it when it went down hill. He was a young service guy too. They would not let him drive customers cars though. They even told the lady working the front desk they did not want her talking to people too long.

So why don't you go to Hawaii to get your vehicle serviced? :blink: Some loyalty! :lol:

GM might be making alot better cars but their dealerships sales and service are holding them back. It really burns my ass that they let this go on.

A guy I work with here at GM just had a horrible experience, they tried to argue with him on a window part that he has worked on and knows there is problem with. That is the whole reason he is working on it to try and solve the problem. Anyway they said there is no problem and we will not fix it under warranty. That changed after he made some phone calls.

I'll relate another story about my truck, which I bought brand new in 2002. First, I started driving away from the dealership after I got it, and I noticed on the oil pressure gauge that the oil pressure was bouncing all over. I went back in 2 seconds, and they fixed that no questions asked(why wouldn't they). Next I popped open the oil filter access on the skid plate and had oil drop all over my face only to find the remote oil filter lines were leaking, and I was just checking things out for general knowledge for in the future. This was a known problem at the time. I went to the dealership and they tried to deny it, so I had to be one of those people begrudgingly, and I pulled the I work at GM card, and yes there is a problem. Well they went round and round with me and finally they fixed that day.

Next I found an exhaust leak on my truck, which at this time my truck was still quite new. I went to the dealer and stood right in front of service and waited 10 minutes before anyone acknowleded me. I told them the problem and they said it was impossible that it was leaking because it is a stainless steel system, I said yeah well I thought so too. They took the whole day to fix it, thank god I worked midnights at the time, because I ended up sleeping all day and could pick it up before they closed. I got it back and a few days later I hear it leaking again, and worse this time. I take my truck back and get the silent treatment standing in the service aisle again. They tried to deny there was a problem and this is when I got pissed and they took it in right away. Well they ended up replacing the exhaust from the catylitic converter back, only to tell me when I picked it up that the exhaust was bad...DUH!!

When will they get a clue?

The End.

My apologies to you, Dsuupr, if I sound like an a**hole here, that's not my intention.

Maybe it's my age that makes me not assume the level of customer service that some do, but I really didn't find much that I would have complained about in that thread. Just sounded like people trying to get through a day of work.

My apologies to you, Dsuupr, if I sound like an a**hole here, that's not my intention.

Maybe it's my age that makes me not assume the level of customer service that some do, but I really didn't find much that I would have complained about in that thread. Just sounded like people trying to get through a day of work.

No problem.

My main complaint is that this dealer is trying to compete with lexus, acura and the such. This level of service will only loose more people for GM.

Speaking as someone in customer service (working in the auto parts sales industry), customer service is what makes and breaks things with us. When a commercial account has a complaint we respond to, just as when a DIY customer comes in. We'll do our best to at least speak to them, and try to acknowledge that we'll be right with them if we're tied up and they have to wait. But, I've too been in the dealership parts or service department and gotten some pretty crappy, no downright $h!ty service myself. Again, I know that the dealership's main concern is making money, but that is still no way to treat customers whom have come in to pay their good hard money for parts, or services needed. I'm sorry to hear about the experience you've had, but it isn't the first one I've heard of, and I'm sure it won't be the last.

I think I'm just not rich enough to experience good customer service.

Never shopped for a Cadillac or Lexus, or other "luxury" products.

Nope, I expect good customer service from Mickey D's...I don't care who they are.

If not, they better learn quick....

I work with customers all day, and they don't care a bit about you or how your day has been-they want it done right the first time, with a smile on your face. :rolleyes:

And it gets crazy...I've been attacked by customers before....that's down right scary... :(

Though believe it or not, I got crappy service at a Lexus dealership....and the salesguy told me I couldn;'t afford a car there.

Interesting...

Edited by daves87rs

So today I went to the dealership to have them fix the leaky seal they said they would.

In the entry area was the same Cobalt from earlier, and an 80's Cadillac. I still was not able to pull my car into the service bay. I was greeted promptly this time and the guy was nice, though he STILL never used my name. He did acknowledge my daughter atleast. I was provided a rental car, as I insisted they did.

When I went to pick up the car I noticed they still had not cleaned it. I asked the Service Advisor what the scoope was. He said it was less hastle to hand people car wash cards. I was handed a car wash card and was sent to the cashier. As expected of this dealer, the cashier was friendly but looked like well . . .

Sad to say, but as long as that is the only dealer in my area I will NEVER own another Buick / Pontiac / GMC or Cadillac until someone else buys the dealer or some major changes are done.

BTW: I called my friend who has issues with his acura. His answer, "the acura has issues, but atleast the dealer treats me like a King." He gets treats, a nice luxury environment to rest, a rental car without question and so on. Oh'yeah, and they use his name! The Cadillac / Saab dealer (Kuni) is the most 1st rate place I've ever been too. Too bad they are SO far away.

The original notes of my experience have been sent to GM as requested by Tim, the person at GM that helped me today.

They can't pull their franchise, but hopefully they can use my letter to put some pressure on that dealer to get their act together.

Edited by Dsuupr