Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

Buying 9-7x - need advice / help

Igor2

Dear all.

My better half LOVES Saab - and she is trying to find a suitable SUV to replace her aging (180k miles) Expedition. We recently found out that there is up to $7,000 rebate on the 9-7x, which puts the car SMACK in the middle of Explorer and Equinox price range. It also allows her to have the best of both worlds - an SUV that can tow and is a real BOF SUV and a Saab (she is a Texan - do not question her on her love for BOF ;) )

We have been looking around and all the models available are the 4.2l I6 models ... but that engine is fine as far as reliability and such goes - I had the impression that it is a bulletproof and smooth engine ... anyone wants to weigh on that? Should I look for the V8 as a better option?

Anyone knows enough to point to options and features to make sure we have and options to stay away from? I am definitely looking for the "prestige" package - add Xenons and other little bits. Otherwise I have not cared much.

Third, anyone has a sense of a fair price for the 97x? I though invoice less discount would be fine, but love to be able to go lower if I can. Anyone here could hook me up with a pin for the GM "family and friends" discount? (I know how it goes with Ford, and could get a pin easily, but am at loss with GM ... )

At this point I have 2 cars lined up for a drive one silver and one red 4.2i with the xenon package. Both for $32-$33k - as MSRP less rebate .. the red one is a former loaner car with 4,00 miles - how much rebate should I ask for for the mileage and the use? I would love to be able to get under 30k - that would make the deal perfect.

Thanks

Igor

She should probably figure out how much she plans to tow before deciding. The 4.2 and 5.3 are roughly equal on HP, but the 5.3 trumps the I6 on torque. Unless she's planning on towing a travel trailer or large motorboat, I'd say just get the I6. I drove a Trailblazer EXT with the I6 (before the power upgrade), and it was surprisingly lively for a big lumbering SUV. I'd imagine it's even better with the short wheelbase 9-7x.

Like Z said, figure out what she'll be towing. The 4.2L Atlas is a great engine, they're reliable, run well, and the only problem I know with them is that the electronic fan clutch does have a tendency to fail, but if the vehicle has an electric cooling fan, problem solved. I really like the GMT360s, not sure what it is about them, but I do like them. I've test driven both the TrailBlazer and the Envoy, loved them both, just couldn't find one in my price range. After I'm done with the loan on the Impala, I'm actually looking at getting one, simply becuase the wife is going to be getting a car, or a crossover (probably an Acadia), and I'm still looking for a truck after having a car for so long....