Hail

scharmer05

Last Thursday night/Friday morning a thunderstorm rolled through Fargo. One of the loudest thunderstorms I have ever been in the middle of. The thunder was actually shaking the house and the lightning was non-stop. Very odd for this time of year as well as it was only like 60 that day and in the mid 50s when this storm rolled through. The storm dropped hail all the way through town, but the worst part was in the southern end of town. It dropped golf ball size hail throughout most of southern Fargo, and baseball size hail in a few places. Anyway, it happened to hit all the dealerships in town with big enough hail that they received damage. Including the Cadillac dealer, that had a brand new black CTS4 sitting outside. All the dealers are advertising hail damage sales, so a lot of people are going to be getting a lot of good deals on slightly damaged vehicles.

Anyone been unlucky enough to have their car outside when one of these storms came through?

About 10 years ago I was caught in a hail storm. The hail had just begun falling as I drove through town. I noticed one of those spray off car washes so I floored it to make it into one of those stalls. I made it into a stall and before the storm was over, there was a car blocking me in the front and in the back tryin to get as much of their car into the car wash stall with me. It was pretty scary being trapped in there. My truck got a few good deep dents from the baseball sized hail. I'll never forget it. That's for sure.

Hmmmm... I'd love to pick up a new CTS4 with hail damage, for like $25K. :P

The biggest hail I've ever seen was about pea-sized, way too small to

put dents in my D-body Cadillac's super-thick sheetmetal.

I've been lucky to avoid hail damage here in Colorado over the last 10 years...we are known for big hail storms. Most of the last 5 years I had a parking garage at work, so my cars never sat out during the day. Alas, my new job doesn't have a parking garage, so maybe the law of averages will catch up with me eventually... :(

The biggest hail I've ever seen was about pea-sized, way too small to

put dents in my D-body Cadillac's super-thick sheetmetal.

Pea size is too small to put dents in anything, but I have seen nickel size put small door ding type dents into the tops of cars. It's when you get bigger than nickel that you start seeing real damage. Golf ball size can do real damage. I saw an area after grapefruit sized hail. That destroyed houses, siding, roofs, windows, and needless to say many vehicles. Hail can destroy crops very easily as well with something as small as quarter size.

Must be our weather here in ND and MN because there isn't a summer that goes by that I don't see or hear about at least golf ball size dropping somewhere, and not unusual to hear about even bigger than that.