2008 CTS Unwanted Noises

Jensen

Just wondering if anyone else is having - or has heard of this issue. My 2008 CTS - Direct Injection RWD - with the ultraview sunroof is making terrible creaking and groaning noises every time it is driven over any type of change in road elevations, bumps, driveways etc. It is quite the cacophony of noises and is making me irrate every time I drive the thing. My joy of ownership has turned to not wanting to even look at the thing. I know a trip to the dealer should solve this but it is inconvenient. I live in downtown Toronto and there are no Cadillac dealerships downtown anymore so I have to travel 30-40 mins north to drop it off and I haven't found the time yet. Just wondering if there are others out there experiencing the same problem with this sunroof set-up. I can't believe Cadillac would release this car with this set-up if they knew about the noise potential and aggrevation to owners - I hope this is not a repeat of the infamous G6 panormic sunroof. I'm hoping it will get resolved soon - just feeling dissapointed that I am not enjoying my new car very much right now.

Sorry to hear that. My dealer's first CTS had this same problem. I'm not sure how they fixed it, but they must have, because they sold it. I would say contact your dealer, tell them it is having some noises and that you have heard other people have had the same problem, and see what they will do for you.

The Equinox never got any worse after that. It actually remained a very stable, safe and reliable vehicle for the 3+ years I owned it and the initial batch of rattles seemed to dissapear and at the end it was a very quiet, solid piece. I actually kind of miss it right now!

The car is going into the dealer on Monday afternoon for the sunroof issue as well as one of the strip of led lights on the dash for the ambient lighting has been inoperative since day 1. I hope they can fix the sunroof issue although the post above indicating that the sunroof is supplied by the same company that did the G6 has me nervous. Be wary of these oversized sunroofs people-they may look cool (from the outside anyways-i have always thought that the huge expanse of glass in the car and its inherent exposed tracks and flimsy sunscreen actually take away from the interior ambience- I would much prefer a regular sunroof with thick cover and increased rigidity). Perhaps cutting that big a hole in the roof is causing too much bending and causing the glass and what not to twist and bend. I can tell you from inside the car it sounds like it is going to twist itself apart. I had high hopes that this car would be delivered perfect - but it was not. I was in my friends 2006 BMW 525 today and much as i dislike those cars styling and interior - I do have to say that it is still tight as a drum and not a rattle or squeek to be heard.

Jensen ... I'm glad to see your latest post. Nothing should be inconvenient when it comes to getting your CTS fixed. Be nice to the dealer at first, but if it isn't fixed to your satisfaction, ask for the Regional Service Manager and work your way up.

I really don't like the panoramic sunroof and wish that Cadillac had chosen to stay with a "regular" sunroof. My 03 CTS has been almost perfect, which surprises me, as it was mfd in Feb of 2002. It must have been made in one of the first production runs. I'd like an 08 CTS too, but retirement and has changed my car buying habits. I'll probably get an 09 CTS when the 2010 CTS comes out.

The only way that GM (Cadillac) will learn about problems is if the owners bring their cars in to be fixed. I think you'll find that GM will go out of their way to fix your CTS. They can't afford too much bad publicity on a car that is the "New Image" of Cadillac.

Good Luck and keep us informed on the sunroof fix. I'm looking forward to your comments next week.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok took the car in to the dealership and had the shop foreman come for a ride with me - he heard and identified the noise immediately. Left the car with them over night and was given a Grand Prix rental (what an embarrassing car to GM - so dated and plasticky). Dealership called the next day and said it was ready. Re-aligned fixed glass sunroof panel and a couple of other things and I am happy to report that for the most part ( a few creaky noises remain when going through my underground garage) but the most annoying noises have been silenced and i can live with what remains. I was never so happy to get back into a car after driving that Grand Prix and swore never to be seperated from her again. Am back to really enjoying the car - terrific interior, handling, engine and transmission.

This was a very common problem with earlier SRX's that had the Ultraview, then as said, with the similar G6--both early on.

Similar things with the '08 CTS, but to a noticeably lower amount, as claimed by many new drivers. A few seem to have noises, some bad, but just about everyone had it resolved quickly and others have been quiet from day one. It's just a nature of the design, when things aren't 101% in check.

Here's a common place for the majority of owners, and all of their findings, if you're not already there:

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadil...um-2008-beyond/

Hopefully (though still stinky) this is limited to mostly earlier builds, and is eliminated completely soon.

Edited by caddycruiser

The dealership should notice the noise before the ever place the car for sale. I forget what the process is called where the technician goes out and test drives the car and makes sure everything works properly, but my dealership's first CTS had this problem and only went on sale after it was fixed.