Was the G8 snubbed in Motor Trends' COTY competition?

Could also be it is a 08 and they are picking the 07 car of the year?

Besides I think GM has to submit it too.

Besides the car of the year means little than a little press as past winners have not always been the best cars.

Edited by hyperv6

Could also be it is a 08 and they are picking the 07 car of the year?

They're working on the 2008 Car of the Year currently, but model year doesn't matter...on sale date does.

Besides the car of the year means little than a little press as past winners have not always been the best cars.

Any press is good press. Past track record doesn't matter to the average person...awards do for some reason. And it cost the manufacturer virtually nothing (nothing more than they were already spending) to enter a car....all they have to do is accept the magazine's invitation.

Getting a COTY award means much more than being Indy Pace Car, for example, and GM spends quite a bit of money to do that one.

I'm confused, it has Bland Australian Styling (BAS), or did you think it should have made it in for another reason?

I like the styling quite frankly, not that I think that has much to do with the subject. I just think that the G8 is a great car for the market segment that it's aiming for and Car of the Year would be a great shot in the arm for Pontiac when it needs it most. But I do agree with regfootballs' acertion that it's release date coming after Jan 1st is the reason. Just a technicality. But if Pontiac can't get it, I hope now that Cadillacs' CTS takes the prize. It looks ripe for the win.

Yeah, on sale date was too late. That's the only reason. It'll be in next year COTY.

And the Camry was the COTY last year, and look at the reliability issues they have had. Oops. All of these awards are just opinion anyway.

just for fun:

1997 Chevrolet Malibu

1995 Chrysler Cirrus

1991 Chevrolet Caprice Classic LTZ

1983 AMC / Renault Alliance

1981 Chrysler K Cars, Dodge Aries / Plymouth Reliant

1980 Chevrolet Citation

1978 Chrysler, Dodge Omni / Plymouth Horizon

1976 Chrysler, Dodge Aspen / Plymouth Volare

1975 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

just for fun:

1997 Chevrolet Malibu

1995 Chrysler Cirrus

1991 Chevrolet Caprice Classic LTZ

1983 AMC / Renault Alliance

1981 Chrysler K Cars, Dodge Aries / Plymouth Reliant

1980 Chevrolet Citation

1978 Chrysler, Dodge Omni / Plymouth Horizon

1976 Chrysler, Dodge Aspen / Plymouth Volare

1975 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Let's add in the 1971 Chevrolet Vega, 1988 Pontiac Grand Prix, and 2002 Ford Thunderbird while we're at it. Oh, and don't forget the Citroen SM (anyone even remember that car?).

They're working on the 2008 Car of the Year currently, but model year doesn't matter...on sale date does.

Any press is good press. Past track record doesn't matter to the average person...awards do for some reason. And it cost the manufacturer virtually nothing (nothing more than they were already spending) to enter a car....all they have to do is accept the magazine's invitation.

Getting a COTY award means much more than being Indy Pace Car, for example, and GM spends quite a bit of money to do that one.

I agree fully that any positive press is good press but but COT is not what it used to be. Too much has come out in past stories on how cars are chosen. Also just on the list of past winners few cars live up to thier claim to fame.

Truth is many things no longer hold the meaning they once did. As pointed out the pace car at Indy mean less than it once did as the 500 is no longer the race it once was. [i hope this will change in the future] I can remember the excitment over the 78 Vette pace car but today can name what years the Vette pace in the last 10 years.

Even the IROC race of Champions had become a race of NASCAR vs who ever else might show up when it once had the best available driver in the world in it.

Many things in the automotive world just don't live up to the hype they once did in.

As of now COT is cool if you win and who cares if you don't. It has never made break a cars future.

I would love to see the Malibu win but does it really matter in the end. It did not help the Tempest in the 60's and its rope drive shaft.

Edited by hyperv6