Attention '07/'08 Sierra/Silverado owners...

Any 2007 or 2008 GMC Sierra/Chevy Silverado owners that would like to post here (or send me a PM) about what kind of average MPG you've been getting? It would be helpful to my inquiring mind - I'm curious as to what "real world" MPG numbers look like. It probably would be good to know whether you have a reg/ext/crew cab, 2wd or 4wd, and what size engine you've got under the hood. Thanks in advance!

I asked my dad what he has been getting with his 08 Silverado. It's a 5.3 4WD with the 3.73 and he said over the first few tanks he has gotten just under 15mpg. Keep in mind that it only has a couple thousand miles on it and is in the break-in period. He hasn't done a ton of highway driving with it thus far either. Also, he has usually been in Auto 4WD (which knocks off about 1mpg in my Suburban) or full time 4WD when he has been in the field this fall. I don't think it is too bad considering what he is doing with it and considering that I get somewhere in the neighborhood of 12mpg with my Suburban doing the same thing. I would imagine once it is broken in he could expect 17-18 on the highway.

My overall average after 11,900 miles, according to my DIC, is 16.3 mpg, down from a high average of 16.5 mpg with summer highway traveling. I drive to and from work 5 days a week, all urban, and only suburban driving on the weekends. Barely any extended highway driving this time of year. Last time I actually measured a single tank was 2 weeks ago... 14.3 mpg. I have the 5.3L AFM with 3.42 locking rear end, regular cab 2WD shortbed. AFM hasn't been much of a help for me with my kind of driving. I was hoping for better fuel mileage. My truck was rated for 16/22.

I do believe the GM fullsize truck is the best in class for real world mileage, though, especially over the Dodge, less so over the Ford. I have to face reality here... a fullsize pickup truck with a V8 engine will never be a mileage champ.

Edited by ocnblu

Thanks for the responses so far... keep 'em coming!

For comparison, I average about 16 MPG with my Envoy, and that is combined city/highway driving as the wife and I share it during the week (I do all local driving, her's is 90% highway). That is with the Atlas I6 engine, 4-speed auto, locking rear differential, AutoTrac 4wd (mostly in 2wd mode), and it's the regular length Envoy (not an XL).

The reason I ask is that I'm curious as to what I could expect in a Sierra Crew Cab, Z71 4wd. I'm at least two years away from the lease-end on the AURA, but with all the talk about $4+ higher gas prices, I was wondering what owners of the GMT-900's are getting on average from their pickups. I know that these trucks are not gas misers, but they are very good on fuel consumption compared to others in their same class. And not that I need a diesel, but with talks about GM putting the 4.5l diesel in the 1500's, I'm wondering if that would be better financially in the future on my wallet and fuel consumption?

Diesels, at least with the 6.6, maybe a wash due to the current/recent price differences in gas vs. diesel- currently roughly 30 cents in my area.

In evaluating a potential job an hour one-way from me, it would save me $48/month to drive my 16-MPG gas truck vs. my 17-MPG diesel truck.

The 4.5's numbers, of course, remain to be seen. The 6.6 loafs so much it's numbers are very good- would the need for more pedal in a 4.5 offset it's inherantly better numbers due to less displacement? This is going to be a highly watched/anticipated motor, IMO.