2.4 Ecotec improvments just for Malibu?

4gm

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
2.4l (LAU)? I've never heard of this motor.. I see the graph is dated 2009? Theoretically, when would one be able to order their Chev. Malibu with this motor? 213hp/180ft-lbs? That's about perfect for a family cruiser. Bet it gets great gas mileage to boot!

No, you won't be able to order one. This is FICTIONAL. But it is a realistic projection of what can be done with the 2.4 I4. What you do is throw in Direct Injection and Dual VVT. The 3.6 liter DI-VVT (LLT) in the CTS makes 304 hp and 273 lb-ft on Regular 87 with a 6400rpm power peak. A 2.4 liter (2/3 the displacement) should make roughly 203 hp and 182 lb-ft -- perhaps a little more given that I4s in general have less parasitic drag per cylinder than a V6 due to having half as many camshaft and a less complex camdrive. The Gen II Ecotec block (found on the 2.0 liter LNF and 2.4 liter LE5 engines) and its current internals winds out to 7000 rpm just fine (the LE5 2.4 in the base Solstice/Sky does just that). By using a set of camshafts, ports and runners biased for slightly higher RPM (by about 600 rpm) it should be plenty easy to make another 10hp. This may cost you some low end torque and perhaps a little peak torque. But I believe that be can match the port injected 2.4's low to mid range output while improving its top end dramatically. The graph reflects that. The power delivery is deliberately tuned to create the impression of an engine which wants to rev and is never out of breathe -- the power peaks at the redline and nowhere on the powercurve will the driver feel the power fade.

Regardless of the power or performance of the engine, this "never fade till you bounce of the rev limiter" feeling is quite alluring. Try driving an Audi RS4 and you'll experience such a powerplant.

Hopefully some good improvemetns will cone soon. It really needs a bit more power and ALL applications need to run on regular.

My 2.4L SS Cobalt needs premium...and I don't mind that---as long as I would get some good performance :(

I hate the auto/Ecotec combo---my engine feels like it cannot breathe, revs like it has a an anchor attached to it and drones like crazy.

My Dads Mazda 6 4cly with 5 speed auto--was enjoyable to drive (although it is slower)